I have this problem when alternate picking
it occurs from 180bpm (for triplets). i didnt used to have it.
I dont really know how to explain whats going on
but the closest i can explain it is
when i do patterns like

|---------------------------------6-7-9-6-7-9-|
|-----------------5-7-9-5-7-9-----------------|
|-5-7-9-5-7-9---------------------------------| (etc up the strings)
so its 6 notes per string
and when i change strings my hand doesnt obey, and skips 2 notes on every string..so it's

|-----------------------------6-7-9-6------------|
|----------------5-7-9-5-------------------------|
|-5-7-9-5----------------------------------------|

and this happens ONLY when im going from fattest string to thinnest and when i change strings with a downstroke or inside picking
it doesnt happen when i do regular 16th notes, or when i change strings with an upstroke....

what the hell is going on?
i used to do these patterns at 220bpm and now i cant even get past 180 :/

thank you
doesnt really help
i can do it effortlessly at any tempo till 180 -.-
it kinda looses the triplet wave...if you know what i mean
Quote by Ibarshall_X
doesnt really help

And? I can play anything I want by anyone up until a temp of about 40bpm but that doesn't mean I don't need practice.

If you want to get it faster you identify the problem and work on it, make improvements in your technique until you CAN do it right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
doesnt really help

No I don't, but figure out why it happens and isolate the problem.
That's a really lame problem, are you sure that up to 180 it actually sounds good? I've seen a lot of people go "I can play this! *plays*" and just makes noise thinking they're good.

If that happens the technique you're using is just plain wrong.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
SLow it RIGHT down. Think about every movement you make. Keep doing this and your mind will start to make a habit of playing it perfectly.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I have no idea how this could happen.

Inside picking makes your left hand miss two notes at certain tempos?

You need to figure it out yourself, most likely you've just practised it wrong a few times and need to reprogram that run properly.
Could be a triplet problem. That your brain is not used to triplets. Then get that triplet feeling more in your head, at slow speed (even very slow, that shows the sloppyness, like at 40 bpm).

Could be a speed problem. Like you have written it, the triplets are 50% faster than the 8ths notes. So the those triplets at 180 would be 270 with the 4 notes per string. Like someone else wrote before. You think it starts at 180 (the sloppyness) but prolly way before that speed (record yourself and listen honoustly).

Analyze yourself and work on the problem (possibillity to grow). Good luck.
Trying to go too fast, too soon...same old story.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Trying to go too fast, too soon...same old story.

i used to do it 30bpm faster (y) and cleanly and accuarately
Quote by tenfold
Come to think of it, post a video of you playing at 180, then going higher by like increments of 8bpm.

i'll do that
Quote by Christopha
Could be a triplet problem. That your brain is not used to triplets. Then get that triplet feeling more in your head, at slow speed (even very slow, that shows the sloppyness, like at 40 bpm).

Could be a speed problem. Like you have written it, the triplets are 50% faster than the 8ths notes. So the those triplets at 180 would be 270 with the 4 notes per string. Like someone else wrote before. You think it starts at 180 (the sloppyness) but prolly way before that speed (record yourself and listen honoustly).

Analyze yourself and work on the problem (possibillity to grow). Good luck.

i am more used to triplets than 16th notes
and when i said i dont have this problem with 16th notes
triplets @ 180bpm = 16th notes @ ~130bpm
with 16th notes i can play around 150

but ye ill record and show u what i mean
Quote by Freepower
I have no idea how this could happen.

Inside picking makes your left hand miss two notes at certain tempos?

You need to figure it out yourself, most likely you've just practised it wrong a few times and need to reprogram that run properly.

When i first started oracticing alternate picking
i didnt practice slow at all
my usual practice routine for an excercise was to start at around 100 bpm (for triplets)
work my way up in 10 bpm increments till my maximum speed
and then take next excercise...then i didnt have this problem
to be honest i made alot of progress practicing that way
until someone told me that practicing that way was wrong, and i have to practice slow
and well progress has stopped rly :/

the problem itself started when i once practiced the epic shred part in "For The Love Of God"
the next day my picking just wasnt the same
i really dont know what i did wrong
There's nothing wrong with practising at normal speeds as long as you're in control - just that most of the time you really need to go down to nail the difficult stuff.

Here, seeing as you have this problem with triplets but not 16th notes, why not just practice that lick in 16th notes?
Quote by Freepower
There's nothing wrong with practising at normal speeds as long as you're in control - just that most of the time you really need to go down to nail the difficult stuff.

Here, seeing as you have this problem with triplets but not 16th notes, why not just practice that lick in 16th notes?

that doesnt help as logical as that idea seemed xD
i mean like when i do 4 notes per string patterns like
|--------------------1-2-3-4-|
|----------1-2-3-4-----------|
|1-2-3-4---------------------|

then i dont have this problem with inside picking. its quite easy then

should i go back to practicing the way i did before?
should i go back to practicing the way i did before?

You should certainly still spend some time nice and slow, but if you were seeing progress before keep going.

I would take the problem run and gradually speed it up until you hit the problem - then take it back a few notches and focus on keeping it correct as you speed back up again.
Slow them down to where you have complete control. Get comfy, and go from there. Seems like people get this answer a lot around G.T. .
Quote by Faded Grey
Slow them down to where you have complete control. Get comfy, and go from there. Seems like people get this answer a lot around G.T. .

yes and it is exactly the thing that doesnt help...
Quote by Ibarshall_X

Well, maybe you might not be going slow enough. Or maybe you might need to change your posture up. A little posture change can go a long way.
Quote by Faded Grey
Well, maybe you might not be going slow enough. Or maybe you might need to change your posture up. A little posture change can go a long way.

nah man..i can do it too effortlessly at a slow tempo
my posture is good i feel comfortable when playing
its something different
Quote by Ibarshall_X
nah man..i can do it too effortlessly at a slow tempo
my posture is good i feel comfortable when playing
its something different

Maybe you're thinking too much about it...I know when I'm playing a song and a hard section is coming up I'll be like "Ok...get ready for this intense section," and then I fall all over myself because I tense up...

Maybe that's your problem?
Quote by justaramsfan
Maybe you're thinking too much about it...I know when I'm playing a song and a hard section is coming up I'll be like "Ok...get ready for this intense section," and then I fall all over myself because I tense up...

Maybe that's your problem?

nope
why would it be now when it wasnt before

Tbh, if it doesn't work you're either doing it wrong or something else is seriously wrong.

When you're "missing" those notes btw, I presume you're still playing in triplets? Or do you change to 16ths?
Quote by Freepower

Tbh, if it doesn't work you're either doing it wrong or something else is seriously wrong.

When you're "missing" those notes btw, I presume you're still playing in triplets? Or do you change to 16ths?

playing slowly helps for slower tempo, but doesnt do much for max speed...
it doesnt matter if i play that lick in 16th notes at 130bpm or triplets 180
the pattern stays the same

im gonna make vid when im feeling better to show u guys exactly what is going on
Quote by Ibarshall_X

im gonna make vid when im feeling better to show u guys exactly what is going on

How you play at a slower speed determines how you play at a faster speed.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Ibarshall_X

Yes it does - there should be no difference in your picking action whether you're playing slow or fast. If there is then you're rushing and getting ahead of yourself because you're so desperate to play fast.

You're not spending enough time working on things slowly, you're rushing to speed things up and as a result you're learning them wrong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
in the words of Michael Angelo Batio...

"You HAVE to play fast the way you play slow and vice versa. If you change your technique when you slow down, and you start playing fast real rigid and move your pick like this (insert picture of a flicking thumb), you're dead. You won't be able to shred.
so i practiced my picking
and btw practicing from slow to max has worked pretty well for me
anyway
i noticed that when i angle my pick rediculously much, the problem seems to go away
and by rediculously much i mean like 60 degrees or so :/