Hey guys,
Well me and my band have recently started gigging. (We've done our first 3 gigs in the past 8 days) and we've recieved a few comments that I look out of place on stage with the band.

So here's a little overview:
We play rock - verging sometimes on hard rock - music. I am at heart a metalhead (long hair, ripped jeans, classic metallica/megadeth/etc style tshirt). The other band members have shorter hair, and wear more "modern" or "commercial" clothing.

Now we all like to move our head to the beat, but because of the length of my hair people say stuff like "you look too metal" or "you headbang too much" for the band, or just out of place.

Personally, I think I move my head/hair etc the same as every other bandmember, it's just my hair length that gives it a different effect.
I've been asked for our next gig (this saturday) to keep my hair tied back for the entire set and not "headbang" as much.

I feel like I'm stiffled almost, and when I try to confront them about it, they keep banging on about how important our image is.

I don't want to make my band members sound like idiots, but I don't think our image is the most important thing, aslong as the music is good I guess.

To see the style we are playing (and to put it into perspective) you can hear some of our tracks at www.myspace.com/fohuk.

But mainly I want to know what others would do in this situation? How would you handle it? etc etc?

Cheers,
Josh
That is the problem with music these days. Justin Bieber spends more time taking pictures than producing music.
Arlight man, seriously...forget their comments. Music isn't about the look at all, it's about...well, the music!

Just act like yourself up there. Be sincere, and as long as you and your bandmates have a great musical chemistry, it will NOT matter.

The people that made those comments to you obviously only care about what they see, not what they hear, therefore their comments are null and void.

Bottom line: While cliche', my only advice for you is to be yourself, and enjoy playing the music!
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
music is about freedom of expression, maybe you should play more hard rock than normal rock if you feel out of place, play some staind, they use drop G# on a baritone 7 string, but, they are hard rock and are considered nu metal, ,"Expressss yourself!"
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Quote by cortes239
That is the problem with music these days. Justin Bieber spends more time taking pictures than producing music.

but... isnt that a good thing?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
+1
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by GangsterLi
but... isnt that a good thing?

Well either way it sucks because those pictures are what fuels that idiot
Again, OP, you were right when you said 'as long as the music is good, i guess'.

Besides, if i saw a *ahem* "metalhead" playing good rock music, i would think it's a cool contrast.
Quote by Puppet_616
Actually, better than the myspace to compare to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmNEDXCa6Io

A video of one of our songs we performed last week. Granted this is a "heavier" song of ours, but still - thoughts?

You do have a metal player's spirit but seriosuly, who cares? It's music. By the way, why don't you join a METAL band if you're truly a metalhead? Just like to know.
Quote by The Arsis
You do have a metal player's spirit but seriosuly, who cares? It's music. By the way, why don't you join a METAL band if you're truly a metalhead? Just like to know.

I was in a metalband. The band was rubbish (bad bandmates) this band came along, and they had originals and gigs. I made the most of the local scene really.
Theres not really a metal scene in the town I'm in, that doesn't involve lots of travelling.

Also, I hate drop tuning my basses beyond Eb standard/Drop D lol.
Unless you guys have someone from a label attending your gigs or you're a pop band, then tell them to stfu.
two words: "Violent Soho"

The guitarist looks like a total metalhead, yet the band is totally modern day grunge. It's cool. Just don't worry about that kid of thing.
Honestly, I didn't see a massive difference between you and your bandmates. From your description I was expecting you to be a full on spikes and chains metalhead, but you really don't stand out too much.

If you wanted you could throw on a checked shirt over your Metallica T-shirt, something like that, subtle but would help you "blend in" a little more.
From the video, it doesn't look like you're intentionally headbanging too much. It's just that you spend a lot of your time staring at the fretboard, standing stiffly in one place. So your head bobs around and your hair emphasises it.

You may want to experiment with standing a bit taller and moving around a bit more like the guitarist. I know you do something else near the end of the vid, but that's what I'm seeing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Your image and the guitarist's image completely contrast, and not in a way that works to me. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you look very out of place with the others. Now if the image of the band isn't a big deal for you and you don't expect this group to go anywhere than don't make any changes, but just about any successful band has at least somewhat of a unified image. You can say "our music will speak for itself" but that's not how it comes off to an audience. Of course the music is the number one priority, but the look of the band members, the way the stage is setup, the lighting, all affect the way you are perceived.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
If I may critique for a second:
First, you have to define your goals. If your goal is to have fun, then keep doing what you're doing. If your goal is to get a record deal, then your music is no longer just your art, but your product, and every aspect of the band is going towards making that product something you can sell. So then, yes, a cohesive image is important.
Now, how you look onstage is not your biggest problem. From that video, your biggest problem is your singer. He was almost unbearable to listen to. I don't know what he was trying to pull off, but he sounded like the singer from Sunny Day Real Estate, if SDRE were terrible. So, before you worry about what you look like, get that guy some lessons. It was impossible to tell if your music had any hooks because he was just all over the place.
Quote by The Arsis
Hobo looking junkies with long hair and flannel shirts =/= metal.

Sure, why not? Ignore my (hopefully) useful comments, but feel free to contribute to the conversation when a dumb definition is involved.
Quote by koslack
If I may critique for a second:
First, you have to define your goals. If your goal is to have fun, then keep doing what you're doing. If your goal is to get a record deal, then your music is no longer just your art, but your product, and every aspect of the band is going towards making that product something you can sell. So then, yes, a cohesive image is important.
Now, how you look onstage is not your biggest problem. From that video, your biggest problem is your singer. He was almost unbearable to listen to. I don't know what he was trying to pull off, but he sounded like the singer from Sunny Day Real Estate, if SDRE were terrible. So, before you worry about what you look like, get that guy some lessons. It was impossible to tell if your music had any hooks because he was just all over the place.

All of this. To make money, image is rediculously important. But if that's not important, then screw your image. HOWEVER, if your band wants to make money, but you refuse to change your image, then that's a problem that you and your band have to work out by yourselves.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Stage presence is like, everything as far as I can tell. When my band and I weren't together, or one of us wasn't with the rest, it's really odd looking, and it seems to drag our performance down. So having a similar stage presence to your band mates is essential.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Simples, just get your band mates to grow their hair.

I actually don't see much of a difference between you and them. You all remind me of me, (im an old grunger from back in the day). As someone said chuck on some flannel and your there. Maybe change the Metallica t-shirt for Mudhoney (okay thats just my personal preference :P )

Dont get your hair cut. Long hair is the best.

Your good man
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Have you discussed the possibility of killing your singer? Seriously, that voice is painful. You look fine dude. Just tie your hair back and look away from the fretboard more often for your next gig. I don't think it's a problem to look strange on stage but if they do it's not worth arguing over.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
it's true if you want to get signed and make money from it image becomes important not to you but to labels and managers if its fun then screw it who cares how you look
how about a compromise? like mid length long hair like just longer than shoulder length
still metalhead hair but less contrasting to the rest of them? the checked shirt idea is actually good
Firstly, apologies from not taking my eyes off the fretboard, it was the bands (and my) first ever gig, so nerves were an issue!

Secondly, thankyou for all the comments and help etc
I can see where they might be coming from - There's a local band in my old town that played Arctic Monkeys and Muse and that sort of thing(pop rock), but there guitarist plays a Randy Rhoads Jackson strung low and just generally looks out of place onstage. It IS distracting, unfortunately. Simply throwing on some flannel probably won't make the problem go away. Try to get into the mindset of your music. Maybe look at some players of a similar genre who have long hair. John Frusciante comes to mind.

And btw, tying your hair back probably won't make you look any less metal.
Your band does have a point... No offense, but from 0:40 on you look VERY misplaced between your other bandmembers...
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
if it was just music, it WOULD be just about the music. But it's a performance. What you look like DOES matter.

It sounds superficial and as a rock band, I guess you're meant to be against that.. but, honestly, your image must matter to you too if you're not willing to change.

also, as said earlier, you do seem a bit stiff. Try walking around a little :P
Well we have our next gig tonight. So thankyou everyone fall all the comments/critique and suggesstions.
I think I'll try the hair tied back/shirt approach tonight, and see how it goes.

And mdwallin, Yeah you're right, I guess image obviously does matter, but in my defense, I'm already Jewish, so my hair is all I've got left

And I'll try to move a bit this time haha!