I am looking at a way to record my songs/ ideas.

I have a Peavey VypyrTube 60.

I only have about $80-100, but I want it to be good.
I personally hate USB mics. I think you'd be better off getting an interface and mic but that goes out of your price range. Check out the blue snowball one. It's not half bad.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i'll sell you a Zoom H2, and a Samson Go-Mic for 100.

Or just the Zoom, because people seem to want that one more.

where do you live?
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I personally hate USB mics. I think you'd be better off getting an interface and mic but that goes out of your price range. Check out the blue snowball one. It's not half bad.

So what kind of Interface should I get? Or look into.
Well you could do something like the zoom^ which is always a nice option.

Or for a simple cheap interface, M-audio makes a few. If you're just going to record a guitar I would grab one of those and a halfway decent mic.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Well you could do something like the zoom^ which is always a nice option.

Or for a simple cheap interface, M-audio makes a few. If you're just going to record a guitar I would grab one of those and a halfway decent mic.

Which one should I get tho?
Quote by Alice-Gardenia
Let me know.

760-885-3131
i can ship within the united states.

Will do.
Don't waste your money on a USB mic for 2 reasons.

1. Usually USB mics don't act like a standard interface so you're processing it through your sound card.

2. Most of them are condenser mics (and really bad ones at that) so micing an amp will sound bad

3. You've got a cheap amp and cheap amps do not sound good when mic'd (no offense)

Solution? If you're only looking to record guitar, this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Don't waste your money on a USB mic for 2 reasons.

1. Usually USB mics don't act like a standard interface so you're processing it through your sound card.

2. Most of them are condenser mics (and really bad ones at that) so micing an amp will sound bad

3. You've got a cheap amp and cheap amps do not sound good when mic'd (no offense)

Solution? If you're only looking to record guitar, this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006

I was looking at that, but i wasn't sure.

How would that go: Guitar>POD>computer or would my amp be in their somewhere?
$80 ain't gonna get you in the ball park you want to be in... Save it and add to it then get something that's actually worth spending it on or get the offer above.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
well the only reason I want to mic my amp is so I can hear what i'm playing and record it. I would go with the Zoom H2, but i don't know how well its going to work for me. High gain and such.
Quote by Blckspawn
I was looking at that, but i wasn't sure.

How would that go: Guitar>POD>computer or would my amp be in their somewhere?

You're amp wont be there. But like I said, cheap amps are a pain in the ass to get a good sound out of (mainly due to the sub par speaker cabs but the amp itself hurts)
This guy actually recorded a few samples on youtube to review a few USB mics, it's worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewMediaGear

I actually like the Audio Technica AT2020 USB seen and heard in these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Barbershop666
Although it is around $150.

HOWEVER as you can hear, these mics are not all that great. the 2020 is fair but will distort on a loud amp. I suggest the POD that Lock suggested.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 28, 2010,
I have the GX - it just has 1 input but that's all I need for my Guitar the UX1 and UX2 have more features but they all come with Pod Farm and they all do the same thing and they all sound the same too. It's fantastic - the Pod Farm software is worth the $99 by itself. Crystal clear sound and everything sounds beautiful. The High-Gain amps (the clean & crunch too) are as good as the ones that come with Amplitube or Guitar Rig and Pod Farm has hundreds of presets or you can alter or make up your own rig... You'd love it.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Blckspawn
Which POD would be worth getting?

The UX1 or GX?

That depends, do you plan on recording vocals or just guitar? The UX1 has a mic input so that you can do Vocals or other things with a mic. I'd recommend the UX2 over the UX1 though. The UX1 doesn't have phantom power which most condenser mics require.
I actually have an old Karaoke mic I plugged into my GX1 (it just has a 1/4" jack on the end of it) - it worked - not the best Mic but It actually didn't sound too bad with plug-ins to tweak my vocals. I think it sounds better than those USB Mics. I had to layer my tracks - guitar first then add vocals by overdubbing another vox track.
Quote by strangedogs
I have the GX - it just has 1 input but that's all I need for my Guitar the UX1 and UX2 have more features but they all come with Pod Farm and they all do the same thing and they all sound the same too. It's fantastic - the Pod Farm software is worth the $99 by itself. Crystal clear sound and everything sounds beautiful. The High-Gain amps (the clean & crunch too) are as good as the ones that come with Amplitube or Guitar Rig and Pod Farm has hundreds of presets or you can alter or make up your own rig... You'd love it.

So POD Farm is the same no matter which one I get, right?
Actually, Pod Farm can only be used with Line 6 devices. It will not work if a Line 6 device is not plugged in.

That is why some people plug their Line 6 device in, and plug in another interface in a different USB/Firewire slot.
OK, just to get this straight;

The POD farm is that same with all the versions and the only thing that makes the GX different from the UX1 is the microphone port on it?
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Actually, Pod Farm can only be used with Line 6 devices. It will not work if a Line 6 device is not plugged in.

That is why some people plug their Line 6 device in, and plug in another interface in a different USB/Firewire slot.

Wrong. There are 2 different versions of Pod Farm. There is the device version and the iLok version. The device version, you need one of the many Line 6 devices. The iLok version, you need an iLok key.