I am curious as to what people's opinions are on blemished guitars. In the last week I was able to leverage the sale of my original MIA Fender Stratocaster into the purchase of a new one (I wanted a new color). I received the guitar yesterday and there is a distinct nick in the guitar. It is about an inch long on the top of the guitar, about where my arm would cover it up. It does not have any impact on playability or anything like that and the store is offering me 10% off should I decide to keep it. In my possession the guitar is likely to get a ding like this within a couple of months anyway, so it isn't the end of the world, but what I am curious as to whether you would want to send it back for a replacement or take the $100 and accept the dent.

Thanks!
100$ for something you're liable to do yourself in a month? no brainer.
Quote by BK202
Acid has been causing problems on this thread for a while. He just likes attention because he never got/gets enough from his parents or something.
$100 is a new pedal or something else useful, and you'll feel pretty crappy when you put the first ding in a mint guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well yeah go for it, but push it a little, they
would give you 100, you say pick out 150 on pedals in their store and say that you don't want money but the pedal(s) you decided on earlier

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Last edited by numinis at May 27, 2010,
I'd accept the dent. I hate blemishes in my guitars with a passion, but I'm really looks-conscious about my guitars, and even then you could probably just spray it over.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I really dont mind dents. They make the guitar "yours." When I got my jazz bass there was a small nick in the pain about 1/4 wide in the red layer (its a transparent red over a silver paint job) and I didnt even care, heck, I didnt even push for a discount.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by numinis
would give you 100, you say pick out 150 on pedals in their store and say that you don't want money but the pedal(s) you decided on earlier

very good point. say you want $150 in return for the dent, but you'll take the $150 (maybe $125 if they refuse) in store credit. they either think that's a good idea and you get some extra cash towards an amp or accessories, or worst case scenario is you end up with the original $100 anyway.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by numinis

Now this is an idea, especially considering the Deluxe Memory Boy...

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-Deluxe-Memory-Guitar-Effects/dp/B0039KA9G8

Brings it down to $30. But yeah, as Steve Miller says, take the money(Or pedal) and run. You'll likely do that yourself in a few weeks anyway.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I like em', that's one way I get gear cheap, is by buying the "scratch and dent sale" guitars, which works for me because I end up adding quite a few scratches and dents over the years of my own.

Heck, my main guitar (Jag-Stang) of 10 years, that guitar is halfway to being like SRV's #1, The whole corner where my arm sits has chipped off to the bare wood now, there's buckle rash all over the back (and I don't even wear belts with huge buckles), dents all around the edges, a scratch on the back of the neck, and a chip of laqer missing on the headstock, all mine from years of playing that guitar live, in the studio, and around my house.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at May 27, 2010,
I'm going to take it to my tech tomorrow and have him give it a solid once over and see what the deal with it is. If it is just that one dent, then I think I can live with it.

You know that painful feeling in your stomach and you dent a mint guitar the first time or notice buckle rash? It was like that same feeling taking this one out of the case.