Fellows, I have been playing electric guitar for 1 year, more or less, and am self-taught. I usually play Metallica covers most of the time.
The thing is, the solos I know, like Welcome Home Sanitarium first 2 slow solos, Fade to Black (all solos), these aren't always easy to play for me. On different sections I need to become really alert and careful so as not to mess up. I have been playing these 2 for around 3 months, and still I become tense on tough/fast parts. I usually use a metronome and learn sections well. So is it normal to become tensed on fast parts?
I don't have a proper warmup technique or anything. I just sit down, play whatever comes to mind, and after sometime, I am warmed up. Is there such a thing as a standard/official warmup exercises? Should i start to use a standard set of warmup exercises?
Lastly, when Kirk Hammett plays these fast solos, (like Battery solo, FTB outro solo, and any other fast metallica solos), is it always tension-free and EASY for him as it seems? or is it normal to be tensed during fast parts?
Last edited by zuhairreza at May 27, 2010,
dude, you cannot expect to play those solo's perfectly after a year. take it slow, its not going to come overnight....if it was that easy there would be way too many bands out there.

and dont limit yourself to metallica covers, please, you will become a complacent player very quickly and will never have any diversity.

there is no standard warm up regiment, every guitarist has their own thing, so find yours - but again, you've been playing 1 year, you have many years to go before you will really get it

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by zuhairreza
Lastly, when Kirk Hammett plays these fast solos, (like Battery solo, FTB outro solo, and any other fast metallica solos), is it always tension-free and EASY for him as it seems? or is it normal to be tensed during fast parts?

People playing at that level don't 'tense up' in that sense, they have just built up a tremendous amount of strength, stamina and control over their picking hand. That takes a lot of time and dedication. Stick at it, it gets easier.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Play it slowly with a metronome, play it soo much it bores you, that does the trick =D At least for me lol
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
*reported*
Take it to the technique forum.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Dude check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline it has excellent warm up exercises for both hands
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Heilz
Play it slowly with a metronome, play it soo much it bores you, that does the trick =D At least for me lol

This.

And warm up techniques can be as simple as chromatic scales, or any scales really.