Im looking for a sub for my car, black infiniti fx35, anyone know of some good ones for around 200?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb

?
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Try Subway, you can get some for much cheaper.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by captaincrunk
I can think of like 25. What do you really want?

I want one with like, good clarity, if you know what I mean. My friend got one for about 100 and it sounds grainy and junk when turned up
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
I want one with like, good clarity, if you know what I mean. My friend got one for about 100 and it sounds grainy and junk when turned up

Well, you'll need an amp as well, and wiring. If you need to go cheap on everything you aren't gonna get anything too special. Do you have an amp yet?
Get a yellow one and you can have something in common with the Beatles.
DeVillains!
Quote by captaincrunk
Well, you'll need an amp as well, and wiring. If you need to go cheap on everything you aren't gonna get anything too special. Do you have an amp yet?

Nope haha, I can squeeze out 500 at the most, for everything including installation
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
$200!?

What the hell kind of sub place are you going to? Subway has footlong subs for like 5 bucks.

EDIT: Goddammit.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by msuspartan
Nope haha, I can squeeze out 500 at the most, for everything including installation

I could install it myself. If you're caeful, you probably can too. You might need to spend 20 dollars on drillingg a hole for your power wire, but that's cheap.

So since you've no amp, let's decide what you want. Are you a "bass so hard your balls are bouncing on the ceiling" guy or a "bass so smooth it stirs your coffee" kind of guy? Or where in the middle?
Quote by captaincrunk
I could install it myself. If you're caeful, you probably can too. You might need to spend 20 dollars on drillingg a hole for your power wire, but that's cheap.

So since you've no amp, let's decide what you want. Are you a "bass so hard your balls are bouncing on the ceiling" guy or a "bass so smooth it stirs your coffee" kind of guy? Or where in the middle?

definitely the coffee one lol
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
definitely the coffee one lol

Then you might want two tens, maybe just one. Actually, one ten would be better. You could buy a better one, and get the higher quality.

So! To stir your coffee I'd recommend either two low power handling subs or one medium power handling sub. The one sub would be the cheaper route, any cleaner, but less power. The two would be still pretty clean, pretty loud, and not much more expensive.
Quote by captaincrunk
Then you might want two tens, maybe just one. Actually, one ten would be better. You could buy a better one, and get the higher quality.

So! To stir your coffee I'd recommend either two low power handling subs or one medium power handling sub. The one sub would be the cheaper route, any cleaner, but less power. The two would be still pretty clean, pretty loud, and not much more expensive.

alright, how much will it run me, what do i need to buy, and what brand do you recommend?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
And I'd say you could pull it off with about 300 watts RMS. That's not too loud, and you wouldn't overpower your stock speakers with it. You wouldn't need to upgrade the rest of it, and you'd still get that low end you want.

EDIT You could get this all done for about 400 I think, if you can find a good price on a sub. Subs and amps have ohm loads you have to respect, like speaker cabs and amps do. So we'll need to match that. Are there any shops around where you live?
Last edited by captaincrunk at May 27, 2010,
Quote by captaincrunk
And I'd say you could pull it off with about 300 watts RMS. That's not too loud, and you wouldn't overpower your stock speakers with it. You wouldn't need to upgrade the rest of it, and you'd still get that low end you want.

EDIT You could get this all done for about 400 I think, if you can find a good price on a sub. Subs and amps have ohm loads you have to respect, like speaker cabs and amps do. So we'll need to match that. Are there any shops around where you live?

theres a pawn shop with a shit load of subs and amps, a couple of car audio shops, but ive never been in them. and also, i have a stock bose sub in right now, what would I do with that?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
theres a pawn shop with a shit load of subs and amps, a couple of car audio shops, but ive never been in them. and also, i have a stock bose sub in right now, what would I do with that?

The bose sub would best be thrown away or put on ebay. Depending on what's holding it, if it's in a box or whatever, you might be able to use the box. I doubt it though as they tend to put slim subs in there to save space.

Pawn shops are okay. If you buy anything, but one or the other at a time (amp or sub) that way you can be sure you match it up correctly. I wouldn't recommend an amp above 300 watts RMS though the max power handling would be at least 600, possibly more. Make sure the rating says RMS if you're looking at one.

I say though, that getting an amp first is more important. Amps are the weaker link, generally, so I'd make sure I got a good amp. Kenwood, alpine, all the big name brands are usually a cost effective route. There are smaller brands that would be better, but unless you have like a car audio store, you won't find them as much.
Quote by Fat Lard
I got 2 10" Alpine Type S's for $160, I'd recommend them for your first subs.

Those are cheap cheap subs. He'd be better of getting one ten, that costs about 200 or so. He'd be more likely to get the clean sound he wants.
Quote by captaincrunk
The bose sub would best be thrown away or put on ebay. Depending on what's holding it, if it's in a box or whatever, you might be able to use the box. I doubt it though as they tend to put slim subs in there to save space.

Pawn shops are okay. If you buy anything, but one or the other at a time (amp or sub) that way you can be sure you match it up correctly. I wouldn't recommend an amp above 300 watts RMS though the max power handling would be at least 600, possibly more. Make sure the rating says RMS if you're looking at one.

I say though, that getting an amp first is more important. Amps are the weaker link, generally, so I'd make sure I got a good amp. Kenwood, alpine, all the big name brands are usually a cost effective route. There are smaller brands that would be better, but unless you have like a car audio store, you won't find them as much.

Well I found a 100 Kenwood just now, and it fits my car, would that be good?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Eh, I don't have them anymore, but I was pretty satisfied with how they sounded. Definitely not the greatest, but they gave good lows for the price.
EDIT: ^ Yeah, I just meant his price range and desires could set him up with something better.
Quote by msuspartan
Well I found a 100 Kenwood just now, and it fits my car, would that be good?

What's the wattage and if you can, the ohm load? The amp I'm using is a kenwood
Last edited by captaincrunk at May 27, 2010,
Quote by captaincrunk
EDIT: ^ Yeah, I just meant his price range and desires could set him up with something better.

What's the wattage and if you can, the ohm load? The amp I'm using is a kenwood

300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb