Dano Cool Cat V1 OD
Barber Dirty Bomb

Looking for tone similar to:
Baroness (Favorite out of this list)
The Sword
Kylesa
High on Fire
Kyuss

Can this tone be achieved with my current gear? If not recommend me some pedals or an amp that can get me close to those tones.

Budget for Amp: Trade/Sale Value of my Recto
Budget for Pedals: Trade/Sale Value of my pedals. Can also do cash for pedals (<$150 each)

I'll probably trade my guitar at some point as well for a Les Paul (Gibson, Edwards, Tokai, Orville, Etc..) but if I can find one I'd really like to have a Yamaha SG.
Using either a JCM 800 or 900 can get a decent sludge metal tone.

Oh and I loves me some Baroness. They're amazing live. Same with Mastodon
Your current Rectifier should be able to do the job?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
JCM 8/900 would be great. Laura Pleasants form Kylesa uses a Krank rev head with a 50watt laney of some sort live.

Really anything british voiced with a decent amount of gain will work.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Baroness actually uses Bad Cats. Not sure which models and don't know how long they have been using them but I know they have been using them live.

Yes they are amazing. I saw them with Mastodon about a week ago. Great show. I was thinking a JCM 800 or some kind of orange but not sure which.

I figured I could get close enough with my rectifier just don't know where to start (I suck at eq'n)
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at May 27, 2010,
I don't know which bad cats they use now but baroness used to use Peavey VTMs. If you can get your hands on a Laney that would be awesome, they're nigh impossible to find in the US though.

EDIT: the mesa will work it just won't do it as well as other amps.

For EQ I use a shit ton of mids and pretty heavy bass, both around 3 o'clock, and the highs cut back a bit, around 11o'clock. And then with my fish n' chips I cut a bit of the lower mids and boost the crap out of the upper mids.

Rectos are really tight IIRC so you'll want to counter EQ it, mids are key, they get that really crunchy snarl.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at May 27, 2010,
Something british will indeed be your best bet... Also tune down low, Sludge bands usually tune down lower than B if I recall correctly.
Quote by Eryth
Also tune down low, Sludge bands usually tune down lower than B if I recall correctly.

Some do, but not all. It isn't 100% necessary but it can make things easier.

Isis for some stuff tuned to drop F# I think. Crazy.

I just saw a few sludge bands last week. Most of them I think were in D. So not that low really.

I think Torche uses (sometimes? all the time? ) some weird tuning where the top 5 stay the same but the low E is tuned down to A. So like AADGBE.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at May 27, 2010,
Yea the lowest I'll probably go is Drop C. Maybe A# considering most Baroness songs are in that tuning.

As for the Laney recommendations. Any Laney such as the AOR 30 or 50? or something different?
AOR 30/50 would work, and they're dirt cheap, the only downside is the lack of really any clean tone; though I doubt that matters to you at all. GH50 or 100 will work also, but again, difficult to find.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Bass amp and a fuzz box, stoner metal needs ALOT of bass, it's all about the grit.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Recto should be allright although wouldn't be my first choice. Less EQ is better for sludge tbh.

Although it doesn't necessarily need to be British voiced EL34. My VTM can get a menacing sludgey droptuned awesomeness and it got 2 6L6's.
Nah no recto for sludge.

Look into electric amp since youre in the US, (Basically the US matamp). Id get some orange personally.

Laney VH100. Aor would be good too.

Im pretty sure Matt Pike use a Soldano SLO.

Sleeps dragonaut vid has them playing through an Laney AOR.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 27, 2010,
I'm sure you can make the recto work for sludge.
It's got the low end for starters.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Id love to have a green or an electric but those are a bit pricey and I doubt I could find someone to trade one for my recto or sell one for what I cud get out of it.
can't find any pictures on their myspace page but the guitar player from Dopethrone uses, or at least used to use a Recto. don't know if its the single, dual, or triple

i would think that you'd want to replace your guitar.
an ibanez for sludge
For the High on Fire tone you're gonna want a SLO or something SLO-like.

So a Soldano Hot Rod, Soldano Avenger (if you don't want cleans) or the Jet City JCA100 or JCA50.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yea. I just traded for the RG due to gas. Probably gonna try to trade it for a Les Paul or would really like to have a Yamaha SG.

I just listed High on Fire for reference purposes just to give an idea. Not looking for their tone specifically just that style.
i seen jucifer and they had alot of ampeg bass amps and a littl vox practice amp miked plus a hundred speakers powerd by some power amps i assume from the miked vox
Any decent mid to high gain amp with a fairly classic distortion tone can get you to the territory, its all in the EQ. Find a classic distortion tone that you like, ie something in Sabbath territory, add a lot of gain and EQ it until the feedback is under control. I get there with a Carvin x100b and a few pedals, and in my experience most of the common Marshalls are well-suited to give you that sludge tone as well. Don't get a Green (classic Orange repro)- you have to drive those amps ridiculously hard to get the tone you are looking for.
don't sell any of your stuff, just buy either a Peavey VTM or Laney AOR for $200
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
what kind of venues will you be playing?

is your audience really going to tell the difference (or even care) between your Recto and a Matamp, or a Laney or what ever other amp?

i know that when i go out to see a show (always at small clubs) my ears are stuffed up with anything and everything i can jam in there.
i've seen bands play marshall (by far most of the time), soldano, matamp, rectos, orange, laney etc etc. and i cant tell the difference between one or the other.
Quote by sethp

i've seen bands play marshall (by far most of the time), soldano, matamp, rectos, orange, laney etc etc. and i cant tell the difference between one or the other.

Tone isn't about the audience, it's about the guitar player.

If I hate my tone at a show, my playing suffers, and it ruins my own enjoyment of the show which in turn can jeopardize the performance.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yay! My field.

Baroness currently use Bad Cat and have since sometime last year. They use to use Peavey VTMs (basically Peavey's answer to "hotrodding" JCM800's) and have used JCM800's in the past.

Both of the guys in the Sword are using Orange Rockerverb 100s but Kyle Shutt use to use a Laney of some sort. Also, J.D. Cronise' tone actually comes from an EHX Metal Muff.

I believe Matt Pike from HoF is currently using Saldano SLO-100s (which I think are suppose to be hotrodded 800 clones, but I'm not positive) and JCM800s. He's also used Laney and Matamps in the past.

Phillip and Laura of Kylesa have used Orange Rockerverbs, JCM800s, Laneys of some sort, and Kranks. I'm really not sure what they are using right now though.

TS: Do you have a rough budget in mind? General consensus is a British voiced amp of some sort, a la JCM800 type tone.
Quote by Raijouta
Tone isn't about the audience, it's about the guitar player.

If I hate my tone at a show, my playing suffers, and it ruins my own enjoyment of the show which in turn can jeopardize the performance.

true