Right now I am practicing my first song called Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana problem is I can't seem to up pick the power chords. I try to do it but I either lose my pick no matter how hard I am holding it or the chord sounds clunky and ugly. How do I alternate pick this song?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Practice... Try it slow and gradually speed it up.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
You're probably not holding the pick the right way if you loose it. If this is the case, then go YouTube how to hold the pick.

Or it could be that you're maybe strumming the strings too hard.
Angle your pick more on the way up so it reduces pick displacement and helps the pick slide across the strings easier.

Practice, practice, practice
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by ComicStix
Right now I am practicing my first song called Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana problem is I can't seem to up pick the power chords. I try to do it but I either lose my pick no matter how hard I am holding it or the chord sounds clunky and ugly. How do I alternate pick this song?

Try holding the pick a little more loosely, think of it like a building: they're built with some give in them, the flex and bend in the wind because if they didn't they'd just break. That's what holding the pick is like in this situation, you need to give it room to flex and move or your grip will just break.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
like the post above says - don't hold the pick too tight but also remember when strumming the chords try to keep your wrist loose and don't lock your elbow in place and strum from there. Meaning, don't hold the pick tight and strum with your entire arm. Try to let your wrist do the work.
Something that my guitar teacher has told me alot is to play without tensing up too much, and not just your fingers, Try to relax in general. it's helped me alot.
Quote by ComicStix

To be honest that's a terrible choice for a first song, there's too many techniques going on.

You need to learn how to play chords before worrying about muting them, your right hand is nowhere near dextrous or accurate enough to strum chords that fast and your left hand will not be able to change chords fast enough yet.

Pick something simpler and more achievable as a first song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com