Poll: Should people be allowed to pass out bibles at schools?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should people be allowed to pass out bibles at schools?
Yes
294 67%
No
144 33%
Voters: 438.
Page 1 of 10
This afternoon right after school, there were about 5 or 6 people passing out free bibles to students. It just seemed wrong to be, even though they were not crossing the boundaries of the school.

Do you think churches should be allowed to pass out bibles at schools? I just thought it would be interesting to see your opinions on this matter.
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Who cares. They're not testing you on it, nobody is forcing you to read it. Nobody would have an issue if they were handing out copies of Webster's Dictionary or an Encyclopedia.
The Bible in itself is a pretty good read. If you read it alongside a commentary book, the actual mythology behind it is very interesting.

However that obviously wasn't their intentions. Then again, as said, no-one's forcing you to take one, read it and believe it.
I think it's okay, the kids have a choice wither or not too take it. It wouldn't bother me, they are just exercising their right of advertisement.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

I think it's toolish but yeah, they should be allowed to.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
As long as they're not on school property it's not an issue. They aren't forcing anybody to take it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
No. Forcing religion onto people, espically young kids who are very impressionable is wrong. I can't see why people won't let it die. Someone gave me a bible once outside a school and I made a point of attempting to light it on fire. Sadly, I only had a shit lighter on me at the time and it refused to go up in a blaze like I hope. Instead it singed a bit so I dropped it and stamped on it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The Bible in itself is a pretty good read. If you read it alongside a commentary book, the actual mythology behind it is very interesting.

However that obviously wasn't their intentions. Then again, as said, no-one's forcing you to take one, read it and believe it.

Always on top of things, you are.

Are you in college or HS? They do it at my college once a semester but I would have had a problem if they did it at my HS. Just smile, take it, hold it so the rest of the people see you have it, give it a glance and do with it what you will. I can't throw them away no matter how unchristian I am so I usually drop them on a common room table.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Why not? if so, then you should also retire everything that says Coca-Cola on it near the schools
If you live in a country where 90% of people are Catholics then i think it should be done more. I'm a Christian myself so i encourage this type of spreading the word
Well yeah. They're making them available, but not forcing it upon the other students.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CrazyPigeon
No. Forcing religion onto people, espically young kids who are very impressionable is wrong. I can't see why people won't let it die. Someone gave me a bible once outside a school and I made a point of attempting to light it on fire. Sadly, I only had a shit lighter on me at the time and it refused to go up in a blaze like I hope. Instead it singed a bit so I dropped it and stamped on it.

You're so mature.
Quote by CrazyPigeon

that is not what they are doing...

oooooo tough guy. You're fuckin' sad. Grow up. I am willing to bet every piece of equipment that I own that not only did your story NOT happen, but you have been thinking of the "coolest" thing to do just in case for quite a long time, haven't you.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 27, 2010,
Separation of church and state? I have no problem with religion, but (public) school isn't a place for religion. Why can't they pass the bible out on a random street corner rather then target a school and its students?
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

oooooo tough guy. You're fuckin' sad. Grow up. I am willing to bet every piece of equipment that I own that not only did your story NOT happen, but you have been thinking of the "coolest" thing to do just in case for quite a long time, haven't you.

Exactly this. Grow the f*ck up,"rebel".
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
well obviously you aren't comming to them so they're going to you. They're just giving you an option in life. I see no harm in it.

Aslong as they dont try to sign you up to whatever and won't leave alone till you do it kinda thing.
Quote by CrazyPigeon

But they aren't forcing religion. They're simply making it available. Personally I think it was quite disgusting of you to try and set one on fire. I may not agree with religion, but show the same respect they showed you.
Quote by CrazyPigeon

But their not forcing it on the kids. They are handing them out, ie. people take them voluntarily. Although young kids may be impressionable it is also good to allow them to make there own decisions and let them think about things. Plus, if we restricted religion from them, would we be any better?

Also, cool story bro. I bet that made you feel cool stamping on the bible.

EDIT: Gah! Deliriumbassist you quick son-of-a-poster.

EDIT2: OK maybe I was slow.
Last edited by br33dlove at May 27, 2010,
I'd rather see them giving people bibles, letting them read it and think for themselves, than feed them dodgey interpretations at their church.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Personally I think it was quite disgusting of you to try and set one on fire. I may not agree with religion, but show the same respect they showed you.

Meh, don't worry... it never happened.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I don't live in the USA. We're not all mindless droids that accept whatever the government is telling us. My personal belief is that religion is wrong.

This did happen, I was 18 at the time, leaving my 6th form. I needed to make a point on my beliefs, if they're allowed to do it, why shouldn't I?
its not like it matters, most kids in highschool nowadays are smart enough to not believe in that crap. its not like 30 years ago when the parents forced religion on their kids
I see no reason why it would be wrong for them to pass out bibles in front of a school, as long as the school is not funding or openly encouraging it, besides, it's a free book, why not take one?
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by dez_cole
Separation of church and state? I have no problem with religion, but (public) school isn't a place for religion. Why can't they pass the bible out on a random street corner rather then target a school and its students?
They aren't passing them out on school property.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
You're super cool!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Kay-J
I'd rather see them giving people bibles, letting them read it and think for themselves, than feed them dodgey interpretations at their church.

As I've mentioned, I don't agree with religion. Ihave read the Bible more times than I care to remember and partsof it are still inspiring through the interpretations of a non-believer. If you don't believe, it's just another material to read and possibly getting something from.
Schools are public buildings, just like your local library, so they can do what they want.

And about Deliriums comment, he's right, even being a Christian myself, (sorry if this seems a bit opinionated) the Bible has some crazy stuff in it. Its a pretty interesting read, even if you dont belive anything behind it.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by CrazyPigeon

Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Quote by Dirge Humani
bcuz itz uber kvlt, d00d.

Yeah seriously. If you're the kid that sets things on fire because you disagree with them I'd hate to see what happens when you turn on the o'reilly factor.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i've only seen them hand out the new testament across the street from the school, that i went to
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I don't live in the USA. We're not all mindless droids that accept whatever the government is telling us. My personal belief is that religion is wrong.

This did happen, I was 18 at the time, leaving my 6th form. I needed to make a point on my beliefs, if they're allowed to do it, why shouldn't I?

the government doesn't tell you what to believe. Your "personal belief" has nothing to do with changing the meaning of "offering" to "forcing".

No, it didn't happen, ever. Grow up.