i've got a guitar with a floating OFR from the mid 80s, and i've never really noticed *to my ears* it going out of tune. i even check the tuning with the 5th, and 7th fret harmonic method.
but i decided to test it with an electronic tuner. and it tends to go either sharp or flat. not enough for my ear to notice.
is this normal for an OFR, or should it come back to EXACT pitch?
btw, my strings are WAY broken in by now.
i have a special floyd in a razorback and it comes back perfectly.
I dont think you can realisticly expect a floating tremolo to stay perfectly in tune, due to the nature of the things,
I just checked my C-1 FR with an electronic tuner (floyd rose special licensed trem). My low E was slightly flat and the A was slightly sharp, but both by the smallest increment my tuner can detect, not enough to be noticeable at all. I was messing with it a lot last night and doing tons of divebombs, dime squeals, etc too.
I have a original floyd rose guitar and i use the trem all the time and still tune it like every 3 months.
it stays in tune perfectly
My OFR on my Jem is darn close, and my RG is darn close, I agree with whoever said you can't expect them to be perfect because of the nature and design, but mine are close.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Mine does except for the G-string. Always goes flat
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)
Quote by So-Cal
I dont think you can realisticly expect a floating tremolo to stay perfectly in tune, due to the nature of the things,

Why is that? I have yet to have this problem. What is the "nature" of things?
Quote by sethp
btw, my strings are WAY broken in by now.

depending on how old they are, this might be part of the problem. if they're just a week or two old you might be ok, but if they're a few months they might be losing their ability to hold tune, even when they're locked down. just throwing that out there

i had an RG570 and was amazed at how well it held tune! i would wail on that thing and divebomb until the strings were as slacked as they could be and it would still return perfectly.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip