Yeah so im looking to get a guitar sometime soon between £600 and £900 ($1100 - $1600)
I play alot of genre's but mainly Funk/Jazz and Punk/Rock... (I know... completely different) But im wondering what is best for my price range, I want it fretted and 4 string (Possibly 5, but only if its worth buying...)
So any posts and suggestions are greatly appreciated
ESP's are a fantastic brand. They make some pretty awesome guitars for that range, as well as Ibanez and Fender.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
A used Musicman Stingray is a good option IMO... Has a good punchy tone for punk/rock and good for funk... May be a little too punchy for jazz though... Depends how jazzy your funk is :P
Quote by SuperMaximo93
A used Musicman Stingray is a good option IMO... Has a good punchy tone for punk/rock and good for funk... May be a little too punchy for jazz though... Depends how jazzy your funk is :P

I was thinking about getting one of them actually... But i heard that the neck on them are pretty... beefy? Cause im used to my jazz bass and it being quite thin ( I have small-ish hands you see) And im just wondering if the neck on them is going to effect my playing at all?

And the Funk and Jazz is usually just pretty relaxed slow stuff or some fun pretty fast slap and pop
Last edited by SamWhiteBASS at May 27, 2010,
If you prefer a smaller neck, go for a Musicman Sterling. the Sterling is to a Stingray as the Jazz is to a P.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Sterling eh? Are they around the same price? And Do they just sound the same or is it different?
You could pick them up used for around £800-£900. They sound similar, but have their differences. The Sterling has ceramic magnets in the pickup, so sound punchier and more -fi than the Stingray. it also has a 3 way selector switch to change what coils you're using in the pickup, so it would be a lot more versatile. The neck slimmer with an extra fret, too.
Quote by skater dan0
Ahh cool, ive never really seen them used before... il have to have a look at a few youtube reviews or something
They don't pop up used as often as Stingrays, but it would be worth it to keep a look out. A guy on youtube with the username felipesolano uses a Sterling i nearly all his vids, go check him out.
Quote by skater dan0
I've yet to play a high end bass that I felt had a noticeable difference to my Ibanez Soundgear SR700. Anyone who picks it up to play it is amazed at how great of a bass it is. Maybe I got an above average quality one, but I love it to death.
whys no one said fender american jazz? lol sounds like exactly what you want
Quote by ExurKun
whys no one said fender american jazz? lol sounds like exactly what you want

I believe he already has a Jazz, the reason why the OP have asked us this question is because he wants something different I would believe.

+1 MM Sterling or possibly a FNA Jazzman?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by oz_bassist
I believe he already has a Jazz, the reason why the OP have asked us this question is because he wants something different I would believe.

+1 MM Sterling or possibly a FNA Jazzman?

by stalking his posts lol its a squire
If you can't find any used Sterlings, then the budget version of Musicman (which is called Sterling, confusingly) has a cheaper version was around £800 last time I checked. I've had a play on a 'Sterling' Stingray and was able to compare it to a regular Stingray, the Sterling looks, sounds and plays just as great as a regular Stingray.

A Fender Jazz is also a good option, and has the benefit of being suitable for any type of music Which is why I bought a Fender Jazz instead of a Stingray, because it had a better tone (IMO) for, well, jazz
ESP's carry thin necks. At least all of the models I've played [4 or 5 different models]. They're also mega comfy for me to play anyway.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
You could probably find a used Stingray on eBay or something for that price (depending on how old it is). You can also find decent Warwicks for about £900 like the double bucks.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Im just going to tell you my two favorite brands.

Warwick and Spector
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Yeah, i have my squire jazz, which i have to say has served me well, but i think i want something different, i wouldnt mind a MIA Jazz but im quite into getting a stingray or something atm...
Quote by thedonutman
+1

You should buy a Warwick Thumb. Oh look....I've got one for sale!

Even though it's shameless advertising I'll give this a +1 . It'd already be gone if I lived in the U.K.
just find you a nice P-bass or a Stingray, with that price range the world is your oyster lol
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!