Page 1 of 3
Yes I know there's a world cup thread, but I think this warrants a separate thread. Basically, from what I gather, not that many people in the states watch Football (Soccer if you insist on calling it that) as opposed to American Football, Baseball, Basketball or Ice Hockey, so I was wondering, how many of you Americans will watch is? How much coverage is there given to it in the U.S. media? And does it feel odd that Soccer is the national sport of so many countries yet not the states?

And yes I know that there are other countries that don't play a lot of Football, but the U.S. has actually qualified for the World Cup and there are more Americans then say Indians or people from the Carribean on UG so
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I plan on watching the world cup. It's really the only sport I watch...probably because it's only once every four years :P It think it gets pretty good coverage around here too, again, because it doesn't happen very often.
I don't find football all that entertaining to watch, but I don't find many sports very entertaining to watch. I like watching American football and basketball and that's pretty much it (and even then, I prefer to watch them live). I think that football is gaining popularity in the US pretty steadily.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well there is some increase in popularity recently, because of their success at the Confederations Cup where they finished 2nd. It seemed to me like a of the mainstream media there cottoned on shortly afterwards and went ape shit for it, asking "if we can beat Spain, do we now have a good chance of winning the World Cup", subtly ignoring that nobody cares about the Confederations Cup except, rather hilariously, the USA.. and Iraq.

But from the people on here and such who are fans of the sport, they seem to be more level headed and understand that it's good for the sport in the USA, but realistically their best finish this year will probably the quarter finals.

Good to see the USA involved. Once the game is popular there, you can be sure the players will come flooding through and improving the MLS (which, let's face it, is still pretty bad).
Quote by Dirge Humani
Soccer's boring.

You're boring

... no, never mind. That's a lie. I can't back that up.

On topic, I already have my car-window flags prepared, and my PVR set to record any games that are very early in the morning. Soccer is my sport brah. (Im canadian, not american. Pretty much the same thing. I will assume you just forgot about us way up here.)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 27, 2010,
ESPN covers it pretty well and is even offering a "World Cup for dummies" of sorts. I watched in '06 virtually everyday. My favorite sports is baseball, then american football. I won't pretend to know every player, or even pretend to completely understand the game as a whole (as in the wight it carries in other countries, and the way it can change the mood and feeling in other places). I will more than likely not root for anyone in particular because I know USA's chances are slim-to-none. I enjoy this event as a whole because of what it does to the world, it gives everyone something to come together with.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Every game will be on the ESPN and ABC networks.

Many people are excited. Even people who don't normally watch soccer.

I'm not sure we'll clear the group stage though.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Well there is some increase in popularity recently, because of their success at the Confederations Cup where they finished 2nd. It seemed to me like a of the mainstream media there cottoned on shortly afterwards and went ape shit for it, asking "if we can beat Spain, do we now have a good chance of winning the World Cup", subtly ignoring that nobody cares about the Confederations Cup except, rather hilariously, the USA.. and Iraq.

But from the people on here and such who are fans of the sport, they seem to be more level headed and understand that it's good for the sport in the USA, but realistically their best finish this year will probably the quarter finals.

Good to see the USA involved. Once the game is popular there, you can be sure the players will come flooding through and improving the MLS (which, let's face it, is still pretty bad).

JOIN ME and root for the Bears! I have been a die-hard Bears fan since they day I could comprehend the tele.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
i have some things to say:

1.Americans wouldnt be in the world cup if they were in CONMEBOL instead of CONCACAF
2.In 1994 not even half of the americans knew there was a worldcup going, just until they eliminated my country
3.Americans like american football, baseball and basketball and all that crappy sports, why would they have a 4th national sport, i mean, i think 2 is way too much
4.The MLS is one of the best soccer leagues in the planet, but it is played in american football stadiums and i dont know if lots of americans know the name of their city's team
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

On topic, I already have my car-window flags prepared, and my PVR set to record any games that are very early in the morning. Soccer is my sport brah. (Im canadian, not american. Pretty much the same thing. I will assume you just forgot about us way up here.)

I thought about it, but then I assumed even less people would care in Canada, seeing as you didn't qualify. Same question though, what's the coverage like? and are many people excited?
Quote by Rockstar12345
Last edited by Mechanixx at May 27, 2010,
I just recently got into soccer, and I will be watching every day and rooting for my favorite international team, England (except when they face the U.S.).

To Don_Humpador and your sig, 49ers.
GO HUSKERS!

12/5/1993 --R.I.P. J.J.S.-- 6/4/2010
Quote by Don_Humpador

wut?

maybe you cause your sport is baseball/basketball/american football and you measure your penis in inches, but people do care about it

when Colombia was there everyone was so excited and supporting
Quote by Mechanixx
I thought about it, but then I assumed even less people would care in Canada, seeing as you didn't qualify. Same question though, what's the coverage like?

Scotland didn't qualify, and we're still interested.
Initially, we'll be supporting USA, Algeria and Slovenia.
Quote by BrokenDstring
ESPN covers it pretty well and is even offering a "World Cup for dummies" of sorts. I watched in '06 virtually everyday. My favorite sports is baseball, then american football. I won't pretend to know every player, or even pretend to completely understand the game as a whole (as in the wight it carries in other countries, and the way it can change the mood and feeling in other places). I will more than likely not root for anyone in particular because I know USA's chances are slim-to-none. I enjoy this event as a whole because of what it does to the world, it gives everyone something to come together with.

Good fan.

Quote by actaderock

1.Americans wouldnt be in the world cup if they were in CONMEBOL instead of CONCACAF
2.In 1994 not even half of the americans knew there was a worldcup going, just until they eliminated my country
3.Americans like american football, baseball and basketball and all that crappy sports, why would they have a 4th national sport, i mean, i think 2 is way too much
4.The MLS is one of the best soccer leagues in the planet, but it is played in american football stadiums and i dont know if lots of americans know the name of their city's team

Bad fan. Also the MLS is not one of the best leagues on the planet.

Quote by actaderock
wut?

maybe you cause your sport is baseball/basketball/american football and you measure your penis in inches, but people do care about it

when Colombia was there everyone was so excited and supporting

Really bad fan.
Quote by actaderock

Are you high or something?
I'm not gonna watch it, but my dad's really into soccer and he and his friend are gonna be glued to the TV.
Quote by Mechanixx
I thought about it, but then I assumed even less people would care in Canada, seeing as you didn't qualify. Same question though, what's the coverage like? and are many people excited?

Anyone I know who has any european background in their family is pretty excited about it. The coverage is solid, TSN, ESPN, Rogers Sportsnet, etc. all deliver.
Quote by MightyAl
Scotland didn't qualify, and we're still interested.
Initially, we'll be supporting USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

Yeah but Football is far more important in Scotland then in Canada, they're usually more interested in Ice Hockey as far as I'm aware.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by Mechanixx
Yeah but Football is far more important in Scotland then in Canada, they're usually more interested in Ice Hockey as far as I'm aware.

Yea, but they can always pick the country they hate most and support their opponents.
actaderock, you're passing through this thread as a total ass

in mexico, it is like the most important thing in 4 years. of course, everyone knows we're gonna lose, and we will never get past the fifth game, but it's still fun to watch. i'm not really a soccer fan, but most people are, and they get really excited about it. This year, it's evem more important because we're in the ignaural game.

public tv channels will be covering all of mexico's games, and important games between other countries. some cable services are opening new sports channels to make sure they have more clients this month, because some people subscribe to this channels just to watch the whole world cup.
hello

n.n
Switzerland, South Africa, Korea, and just about every other second-rate Cup team wouldn't have qualified in they were in CONMEBOL.

I think the States will do alright this time. I'm thinking second in their group behind England, but the next round they show up on the field ready to pick daisies like last time around. Not better, but not worse either.
i'm watching the world cup (or i plan on watching it) and i'm pure bred american.

actually, i was an immigrant but, hey, i can still vote!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

You're boring

... no, never mind. That's a lie. I can't back that up.

canadians can't play soccer. they don't even have legs.
Sent from my iPad.
I'm going to watch the World Cup. I'm actually having some friends over to drink lots of beer and watch US-England on the 12th. I'm pretty excited about it actually.

I don't typically follow soccer football a whole lot, but I watch it from time to time.
I, along with a bunch of my friends, are super excited for it. I know a lot of people that follow soccer.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i watch it.

religiously.

back during the korea/japan cup, my family and i would get up at 4 in the morning to watch the games live.
THAT bad.
Go Veg.
I'm Canadian, and I can't stand Hockey. Football is really the only sport I like, when I think about it. American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey just don't appeal to me.

EDIT: So yeah I'll be watching the whole thing religiously pretty much.

Quote by paintITblack39

Last edited by GRiMM94 at May 27, 2010,
Its pretty popular in Canada despite what others may think. We are a nation of immigrants, and since its so popular everywhere else, the immigrants bring it here and pass it to their children.

I mean, its not hockey, but it still gets peoples attention.
I don't like watching any sports, but watching soccer/football bores me to death.
Quote by actaderock

How is that true? There's the Premier League, La Liga and whatnot and Americans can't even play football. I should know, Jonathan Spector plays (well I think he's up for sale now) for my team.
eh, i likely wont be watching it, just not that big of a soccer fan. ive seen it being promoted pretty heavily in local sporting goods stores though.
NOPE
Soccer seems to be increasing in popularity in the States, especially since the Confederation Cup. I really enjoy watching soccer since the last Euro Cup. Other than the USA, I'll definitely be following Brasil this year.
I'll be watching. Around here, soccer is pretty popular, not as much as the other main American sports, but the World Cup gets everyone excited. Everybody usually goes for team Mexico.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by boreamor
When did America become a part of the world?

That.

And, no i don't plan to watch it.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by paintITblack39
i'm watching the world cup (or i plan on watching it) and i'm pure bred american.

actually, i was an immigrant but, hey, i can still vote!

l...egz? legs? wut? d'hell is legs? speak english man.
My roommate got HD TVR cable put in last week specifically for this purpose. He has to watch the World Cup. I've never actually sat down and watched a Football game before, though. I may get into it.

Really I am an NFL fan. Can't wait until the season comes around!!
We're only strays.
Quote by actaderock

Didn't take long for Fassa's replacement to raise it's head.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 3