Hi.

Anchoring has been an issue with me for quite sometime and to clarify it I've surfed through a lot of threads, but they primarily discuss resting the pinky or the ring finger on the pickguard, hence they haven't been of much help to me.

I rest the side of my palm behind the bridge in palm muting fashion and can currently do sixteenth notes at 180 bpm and am trying to get better. Now the way i rest my palm seems to be of no hinderance in my pursuit to speed myself up, but i certainly don't want enhancement in speed to come at the cost of technique.

I'd also like to state that I keep altering the position of my arm and the angle of my wrist slightly, as the need be, for better attack on the strings.

My question, thus, is straightforward - am I anchoring ?

Should I rest my palm on the bridge solely for palm-muting and draw it away other times - my forearm then being the only contact with the guitar (on the curve of the body) - or, should I continue with what I'm doing, just slide the side of the palm forward while muting ?

Please don't bring in the point of being comfortable, I'll practice to get the better technique - initial discomfort is of no concern to me.

Thank You.
Yes..
Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
.. can currently do sixteenth notes at 180 bpm and am trying to get better..

What does that even mean. You can play random patterns at 180? Cross strings, sweep pick, what? Or just one single string?

You say "anchoring has been and issue" for you... Yet you don't say what that issue is.

Now the way i rest my palm seems to be of no hinderance in my pursuit to speed myself up, but i certainly don't want enhancement in speed to come at the cost of technique.

So... What is your problem? You say you are not having trouble speeding up, but you don't know proper technique?

Something doesn't add up... Did you not read that 30 something page on this whole issue?
Last edited by hstallings at May 27, 2010,
Quote by rawgrave
my pursuit to speed myself up

And there's the whole root of the problem, you can't speed up and you shouldn't be chasing the metronome, the best way to improve your speed is to improve your technique because speed isn't something you can control, it's the result of how good you are at playing in general.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks all for the advice
I guess I do anchor. But the following video's been quite a handful in analyzing my technique. My picking style is pretty similar to what the guy in the video has, and I think I'll stick with it, albeit with minor tweaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_fqkNglmGA

Thanks again for trying to help me out. Cheers.