So i don't know much about power amps. But is it possable for me to take either my RP500, or the POD X3 live, and run it into a power amp, then straight into the cab? So I can get rid of my head? I love the models of the RP500 and X3, so can I just buy a power amp? Thanks
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of the RP500 and the X3. If they are just stompbox boards, then it will likely sound like total crap. If it's straight amp modeling (the X3 I believe is, dunno about the RP), yes you should be able to.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Yes, you can do that. It might sound rather sterile, though. Give it a try at your local music shop and see if it works. Remember that most power amplifiers crank out a hell of a lot of wattage and may be too much for you guitar cabinet.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by swordsofplague
I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of the RP500 and the X3. If they are just stompbox boards, then it will likely sound like total crap. If it's straight amp modeling (the X3 I believe is, dunno about the RP), yes you should be able to.

The RP models, but im not posative. The X3 i think can, which would be the one Im buying anyways. Any ideas on what this would sound like?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
The RP models, but im not posative. The X3 i think can, which would be the one Im buying anyways. Any ideas on what this would sound like?

Like someone above me said, it could end up sounding very sterile. However, you never know until you give it a try. Again like above poster said, go to your shop and see what you can do with it. Regardless, I wouldn't buy sight-unseen here, you could end up being very unsatisfied
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
i would get a tube power amp.... im looking to do the same with my boss GT-8 although if you have an amp with and effects loop you can put the output of the preamp directly into the return of you fx loop and use just the amps power section....that's the setup im running with my JSX....I wanna get a tube power amp so i can run stereo. like a mesa 2:90 or something along those lines
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Though this is possible, seeing as X3s and RPs can both be used as potential preamps, I advise against it. I'm going to assume many amp modelers also factor in power amps and speaker emulation, possibly making it sound like dildos. It's worth a shot at a music store anyhow. If you go for the power amp, I suggest investing in a decent rack preamp some time in the future. Some companies offer digital preamps that are designed to be used in conjunction with rack power amps. I believe Rocktron has one or two and I believe even DigiDesign makes one (keep in mind I have no actual experience with these). Again, as the wiser users of this forum say: Go to a music store and check it out before springing for anything.

EDIT: Nothing as far as rackmounting goes will beat a MIDI-controlled tube preamp going into a tube power amp in my opinion. Though this setup will cost you practically an arm and a leg....
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Last edited by Karlboy at May 27, 2010,
I do that with my Vox Tonelab. It sounds great, I've gotten several complements on my tone:
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden