Well it's about that time to move on from my first guitar ( a shitty Les Paul special 2.....don't judge me.) and well i need suggestions. I play a lot of distorted stuff like alternative, grunge, punk, and some metal but i also play a lot of cleans so a little versatility wouldn't hurt. I would prefer something with a hard tail (tremolos are such a hassle). My budget is in the $200-$400 range and I would prefer new. Not sure if i can get a guitar with these specs in this range but i guess its worth a shot Thanks
you could get an ibanez, there's a model that has a tune-o-matic bridge and it's a string thru for either 400 or 600, i cant remember. but yea, ibanez would be optimal for you.
i have an ibanez Xiphos 300, and it has done wonders for me in all the stuff you said you played. Though a new amp does add to it(i had a little sh*t 10 watt thing that came in a starter kit)
Thanks for the suggestions. and I'm also buying a new amp so i wanted to see what guitar I was getting so I could get an amp that goes good with it. A wise person on here once said (forgot his name though lol) "buying a guitar to match your amp is like buying a house to match your furniture." or something along those lines but I think you get the point
You should get a new amp first, then new guitar.

I'd suggest one of the Peavey Transtube amps. Either the Envoy or the Bandit would be a huge upgrade for you.

You'd be surprised how much ass your LP2 actually kicks with a better amp.
get anything with passive humbuckers, is my feedback to your question. Pickups make up more of your tone than the wood does, in my opinion.

That being said, you might want to buy used. You don't have all that much of a budget, so check craigslist and ebay a lot, as well as guitar center's "used wall"
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by NovusOrdo
Thanks for the suggestions. and I'm also buying a new amp so i wanted to see what guitar I was getting so I could get an amp that goes good with it. A wise person on here once said (forgot his name though lol) "buying a guitar to match your amp is like buying a house to match your furniture." or something along those lines but I think you get the point

I believe you've read one of my posts. Thanks for the compliment.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24208948#post24208948
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 27, 2010,
Quote by dlowe102
jagmasters are cool...and in your price range

they are waaay cool. And reliable. Showbread uses them and they're pretty abusive to their gear. Their lead singer said they stay in tune, sound good, and are reliable night after night on tour.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You should get a new amp first, then new guitar.

I'd suggest one of the Peavey Transtube amps. Either the Envoy or the Bandit would be a huge upgrade for you.

You'd be surprised how much ass your LP2 actually kicks with a better amp.

This. I also have a Les Paul Special 2, but I don't play it any more. It's true that it sounds better with a new amp (I got a Peavey Envoy 110), but it still goes out of tune and is overall just pretty crappy. I actually play similar styles that the OP does.

My electric upgrade was a Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS. Extremely versatile, and the bridge isn't a hassle at all. It stays in tune remarkably well, and actually handles distortion better than expected. If you can find one, Fat Strats are where it's at.

/oh sht, accidental rhyme
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by 11macj
This. I also have a Les Paul Special 2, but I don't play it any more. It's true that it sounds better with a new amp (I got a Peavey Envoy 110), but it still goes out of tune and is overall just pretty crappy. I actually play similar styles that the OP does.

My electric upgrade was a Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS. Extremely versatile, and the bridge isn't a hassle at all. It stays in tune remarkably well, and actually handles distortion better than expected. If you can find one, Fat Strats are where it's at.

/oh sht, accidental rhyme

So why the heck would you recommend keeping that entry level guitar for the TS and buying an amp when it won't stay in tune and is pretty crappy?
Moving on.....
I have the same 'crappy' guitar as you

Do you guys think, that after buying a better amp, i should save for another guitar or get new pups for the LP Special II?
Nope. Not unless you know for sure that you won't have money coming for a new guitar for a long, long time and you need to make the best of your situation.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden