So, I've got a Mesa/Boogie Dual-Recto Roadster. I've used both 6L6s and EL34's and love them both for different characteristics. Rather than settling for use of only one type at a time, I thought that having two parallel push-pull pairs might come in handy... Mesa's have fixed bias settings however... Though there is a convenient 6L6/EL34 switch on the back, it switches the bias for both pairs of power tubes. I thought I might be able to use this to my advantage however. Would it be possible to switch around the resistors controlling the grid voltage for 6L6-EL34 tubes on one pair, so that one setting on the bias switch would configure the amp as 6L6/EL34/EL34/6L6, then the other as EL34/6L6/6L6/EL34 (ignore the possibility of other tube brands)? Or could this pose potential problems to my amp? I know there are several amps that use both tube types simultaneously (Road King II, various Egnator amps), so I know that there is a way for this to happen, but I was just wondering whether or not this particular method would be feasible.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

(tl;dr?, don't post please...)

Thank you.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Last edited by Karlboy at May 27, 2010,
no. the end.

(tl:dr version)