So in August/September of last year I picked up a Squier Strat at a garage sale for $20.

It was my brother's for a while, but since he didn't play it much I bought it back!

Now that it's mine, it's time for a rebuild!

Before:

After about 3 hours of sanding:

Neck pics:

^ Regarding the last pic, what's up with the holes? Looking online I can't find any tuners that line up like that.

More pics to come!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
What are you planning?

Not 100% sure yet.

Definitely going to get a wired pickguard from GuitarFetish, and maybe new tuners and a new tremolo assembly (from GuitarFetish) as well.

I have a SSS MIM Fender Strat (all stock), so I'm not sure if I want another SSS Strat...

I'm also really getting into the "surf guitar" sound, so I'm thinking maybe I'll build this one for that.

So basically, who knows :P
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Not 100% sure yet.

Definitely going to get a wired pickguard from GuitarFetish, and maybe new tuners and a new tremolo assembly (from GuitarFetish) as well.

I have a SSS MIM Fender Strat (all stock), so I'm not sure if I want another SSS Strat...

I'm also really getting into the "surf guitar" sound, so I'm thinking maybe I'll build this one for that.

So basically, who knows :P

I'd stay away from GFS trems, they tend to be crazy cheap and unreliable. Their pickups are really good for the price though
Quote by Schism1985
I'd stay away from GFS trems, they tend to be crazy cheap and unreliable. Their pickups are really good for the price though

http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html
It's either that or the stock Squier trem; I saved all the parts I took off the Squier.
edited.

As for GFS their pickups really are great from what I've tested but their hardware is acceptable, not great but it is what it is. Very unhappy with their customer service though but that's another matter.
Last edited by Shashing at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Shashing
Please don't do this.. if you need to use smaller holes for new tuners you can get conversion bushings from gfs, but if you must fill them than get maple dowels the right size and fill with those.

I thought he was referring to the little holes, not the big ones...
Quote by yellowsnow4free
I thought he was referring to the little holes, not the big ones...

Ah probably, if so than my bad.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html
It's either that or the stock Squier trem; I saved all the parts I took off the Squier.

I'm not saying they're shit, but just keep in mind you're getting what you pay for. I've bought hardware from them before btw, it was ok, but nothing to write home about.
Quote by Schism1985
I'm not saying they're shit, but just keep in mind you're getting what you pay for. I've bought hardware from them before btw, it was ok, but nothing to write home about.

Yeah, definitely. I'm just saying for the price, it's probably going to be better than the Squier hardware.

I'm not going to worry about it too much at this point though; I need to repaint it first!
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Yeah, definitely. I'm just saying for the price, it's probably going to be better than the Squier hardware.

Well... sort of. You could just buy a cheap trem block to replace the Squier's thin and crappy zinc (or similar material) one and you'd basically have the GFS bridge.
Quote by Seref
Well... sort of. You could just buy a cheap trem block to replace the Squier's thin and crappy zinc (or similar material) one and you'd basically have the GFS bridge.

Well, for the price of the trem block and tremolo arm (my Squier doesn't have it) I might as well buy the complete trem kit from GFS
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Well, for the price of the trem block and tremolo arm (my Squier doesn't have it) I might as well buy the complete trem kit from GFS

What you have to realize about GFS is that their only redeeming qualities are their pickups, their hardware's basically just slightly upgraded stock shiz or bulk produced "made in china" stuff.

But again, I realize you're on a budget, and they're great for people who are just beginning to experiment with modding/project guitars so if you feel it's worth your money, have at it
question - whats wrong with the stock trem? your going to replace a crappy trem with a crappy trem. why dont you just keep the crappy trem. do the tuners work? stay in tune? keep them too.

i meani dont know how much your trying to spend but i get teh idea this is to be done with as little as possible. what is your budget?

secondly, dang man. 3 hours? you need to get you some power tools. a electic hand sander would have that off in 20 minutes.
Quote by ikey_
question - whats wrong with the stock trem? your going to replace a crappy trem with a crappy trem. why dont you just keep the crappy trem. do the tuners work? stay in tune? keep them too.

i meani dont know how much your trying to spend but i get teh idea this is to be done with as little as possible. what is your budget?

secondly, dang man. 3 hours? you need to get you some power tools. a electic hand sander would have that off in 20 minutes.

Stock trems and tuners are usually the first things that need to be replaced on most guitars (after pickups).

Not true, have you ever tried to sand the finish off a squier? They're crazy durable. Even with power sanders and a chisel, it's going to take you way more than 20 minutes.
Quote by ikey_

I dunno, I might keep the stock trem, who knows.
I guess I'm not too worried about the hardware at this point; I've got enough to deal with right now with painting the thing.

And I do have power tools, I just wanted to do it by hand. I guess I was worried about going through the paint and into the wood too quickly
Are you gonna buy a wired pickguard and put new pickups in it, or just use the ones that come with it? Because I've heard the pickups that come with them aren't that great.

If I were you I'd either do the wiring myself or buy the wired pickguard and drop a set of these in there (http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/64sttegrbosu.html).
Last edited by Kcintlob at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Kcintlob
Are you gonna buy a wired pickguard and put new pickups in it, or just use the ones that come with it? Because I've heard the pickups that come with them aren't that great.

If I were you I'd either do the wiring myself or buy the wired pickguard and drop a set of these in there (http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/64sttegrbosu.html).

I'm definitely going to start with a cheap wired one;
I did the math, the total cost of the components is cheaper in the wired one than if I buy them separately.

I dunno on the pups, I was thinking something a little cheaper:
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/vistsewhwobl.html
Different angle on the body:

Close up: what's up with the green?

Debating on routing the body to be "universal":

^ Like this:

Sanded most of the paint off the back too:

Comfort contour: again, the green

Little more sanding: can really see the green now

Quote by Shashing
edited.

As for GFS their pickups really are great from what I've tested but their hardware is acceptable, not great but it is what it is. Very unhappy with their customer service though but that's another matter.

GFS Customer Service, and Shipping Warehouse=Bad experiences everytime.
Other than that, I can vouch for them. Very happy with their stuff.
Oh, aslo they overprice their shipping to International countries by a lot.

EDIT: The green is some kinda sealent I suppose.
The body is plywood, so the contours would have the plys showing.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
The green is some kinda sealent I suppose.
The body is plywood, so the contours would have the plys showing.

Hmm... once I have the entire thing sanded down (to the sealant) I'll take some more pics.

I'd have to imagine that a stain/dye on a plywood body wouldn't look very good, would it?

In the meantime, I have more sanding to do; I'll worry about how I'll finish it later.
Hey man looking good, I wouldnt worry too much about the greenery. It really is just kind of a base coat for the red paint, kind of a crappy primer used to get the body smooth before painting. I recently stripped back my SG and it was like that, you just gotta keep sanding till you get to the good stuff!

Chur
Quote by yellowsnow4free
I did the math, the total cost of the components is cheaper in the wired one than if I buy them separately.

I dunno on the pups, I was thinking something a little cheaper:
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/vistsewhwobl.html

I'd just like to point out that those pickups and the cheap wired ones from GFS are not actually GFS pickups. If you're going to go the cheap route, at least get one of the AlNiCo pcikguards(Ex:http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/alpiprstpiwh.html); cheap ceramic pickups won't be a big change from the stock ones.
Last edited by MrFndr at May 31, 2010,
^Seconded.
GFS gets those pre-wired pickguards from a company(Shitty quality).
This is the quality you would already have on your Squier.
Quote by timbit2006
GFS gets those pre-wired pickguards from a company(Shitty quality).
This is the quality you would already have on your Squier.

Yeah, for $30 I figure it isn't super great... but at least for the pickguard, pots, and all the wiring done, it's worth the price alone.

I know these aren't GFS, but you think these are shitty too?

Vintage Strat Reverse Wound Pickups

I could buy the cheaper wired pickguard and put these in; would cost about the same as the Alnico one...

Either way, I'm not going to order anything until I've got the body/neck squared away.
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at May 31, 2010,
Quote by yellowsnow4free

That's because if you buy them separately you will probably buy stuff that isn't absolute bottom of the line. Don't underestimate the difference made by pots and switches that don't suck.

The "blowout" pickups on Guitar Fetish are not better than the stock pickups in your Squier. In fact, they may even be the same pickups as are stock your Squier.

My advice is to focus right now on the stuff that is easiest to change while refinishing. If you want a new tremolo, etc, it's easier to do now while you have to refinish anyway.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Yeah, for $30 I figure it isn't super great... but at least for the pickguard, pots, and all the wiring done, it's worth the price alone.

I know these aren't GFS, but you think these are shitty too?

Vintage Strat Reverse Wound Pickups

I could buy the cheaper wired pickguard and put these in; would cost about the same as the Alnico one...

Either way, I'm not going to order anything until I've got the body/neck squared away.

I bet you 10 cents that those are the exact same manufacturer, as what's in the pre-wired pickguards. Maybe even the same pickups.
you should contour it like joe satriani's
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by timbit2006
I bet you 10 cents that those are the exact same manufacturer, as what's in the pre-wired pickguards. Maybe even the same pickups.

Pickups are arguably the only thing that GFS does well, so don't be hating on them.
Quote by Schism1985
Pickups are arguably the only thing that GFS does well, so don't be hating on them.

I'd agree, except the pickups in that link aren't GFS pickups. They're resale generic pickups by a mass supplier, the kind of supplier that supplies to budget companies like... hey, Squier!
Quote by Schism1985

Those weren't GFS. They're mass produced pickups that GFS bought and is now reselling.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls