What originally began as a simple task of going to the local store and picking up a D-16RGT has turned into a great deal of driving up to Washington DC to a couple of recommended music shops and then another one in Maryland.

I am almost positive I'm still going to want the RGT even after I play 100 other guitars. But my mother and my guitar instructor want me to be positive...So since I'm going to attempt to go into this with an open mind, what guitars do you guys recommend I play? I will have access to nearly any brand including Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, Takamine, (way out of my price range, Louden, McPherson, Santa Cruz) etc.

I have a range from anything up to about $1500-$1600USD. It must be entirely solid wood. No stratabond necks or laminate sides and back, no exceptions. I'd prefer a guitar with no electric system but everyone is telling me I should get one so I will look into both.

I like 000s and OM's but it's hard to find one in that price range that doesn't sound boxy to my ears. I'll probably end up looking mostly at dreds but my favorite body style is Taylor's 14 series but I'm not a fan of the 1, 2 or 314's which exhausts my price range.

EDIT: I know I am hard to please...but I want an instrument that will last me and that I won't quickly become dissatisfied with.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at May 27, 2010,
have you tried the all solid blueridges? they sound great - better than many - and are also lower in cost. but honestly i just like 'em.

here's one you may have trouble finding that's worth keeping an eye out - it's the eastman AC-822, and it had amazing sound for a guitar under 2 grand. it seems it's already been discontinued, as has the entire flat top eastman line, but if you can find one, try it. beautiful finish and appointments, a real standout guitar.

and don't forget to check out larrivees - particularly the larrivee OM-05. larrivees are a very popular option to the big 3. and guild makes some nice guitars, all all solid and nice finishes.

i'm posting the 15% memorial day discounts in a separate thread for this weekend. one is a printable one for guitar center, so you get a little more bang for your buck.
The blue ridges are okay in my opinion, I've played a lot of them. If I had the option for Martin (which I do) I would go for the Martin immediately. But otherwise I would look into one.

I remember hearing good things about the eastman. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I'll be looking at all of the larrivees with great interest. Some of their dreads have incredible tone. Guild is high on my list as well. Though not as high as a good Martin or Larrivee.

And I'm definitely not going to Guitar Center. These are a few shops my teacher has connections to that he recommended. I can get a pretty solid discount from them, but thanks!
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712