For Christmas my parents bought my brother and I some useful recording gear and software that we use to record different original guitar parts to remember for later when we present songs to the band. It's an MBox 2 (mini) with ProTools 8 software, and to record I plug the guitar cable into the MBox which is connected via USB to my computer. However, since the sound options on the computer aren't too great, I was wondering if there was a way to achieve the sound I have on my amp, whether by mimicking the sound or directly utilizing my amp to record. Any suggestions?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ampli tube(plug in)
guitar rig(plug in)

or a mic and your amp.

there are tons of ways.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
You could always mic your amp and plug the microphone into the Mbox, but if you have a crappy microphone it wouldn't sound very good.
There's tons of free amp sims and cabs with impulses too - checkout ACMEBARGIG and GUITARAMPMODELING course most are VST's and Pro Tools likes DPM... Pro Tools comes with an Amp Sim doesn't it? Otherwise you need to Mic your amp.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 27, 2010,
Use a mic if possible, much better sound quality, GuitarRig and Amplitube are fairly decent alternatives as long as you have them anyway (they will cost more than getting a good mic like an SM57) . Another thing to keep note of is if youre using a laptop you'll get buzz added to your recordings while the power supply is plugged in (this is normal for a PC, a mac shouldn't get it i don't think), so while youre recording each track quickly unplug the power supply to your laptop to avoid it. It could be that your houses power supply is fairly decent and you won't get any, just play about and find what sounds best to you.
Quote by ~Funky monk~
Use a mic if possible, much better sound quality, GuitarRig and Amplitube are fairly decent alternatives as long as you have them anyway (they will cost more than getting a good mic like an SM57) . Another thing to keep note of is if youre using a laptop you'll get buzz added to your recordings while the power supply is plugged in (this is normal for a PC, a mac shouldn't get it i don't think), so while youre recording each track quickly unplug the power supply to your laptop to avoid it. It could be that your houses power supply is fairly decent and you won't get any, just play about and find what sounds best to you.

I have a PG58, do you know how that might sound since they're different types of microphones?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by EvilAngel93
I have a PG58, do you know how that might sound since they're different types of microphones?

thats a vocal mic you have.

they make different types.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
ampli tube(plug in)

No, don't waste your money on Amplitube. I've never really liked it and it had some of the worst amp models

Pod Farm or Guitar Rig are the 2 best on the market (Pod Farm is the better of the 2).

Either that or buy either a Shure SM57 or a Sennheiser e609 (I prefer the e609s but either is a solid choice).
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
No, don't waste your money on Amplitube. I've never really liked it and it had some of the worst amp models

Pod Farm or Guitar Rig are the 2 best on the market (Pod Farm is the better of the 2).

Either that or buy either a Shure SM57 or a Sennheiser e609 (I prefer the e609s but either is a solid choice).

i said nothing about money.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E