I have seen a lot of people tune their guitars by ear using natural harmonics. This seems to be much easier than say playing an A on the 6th string to tune the 5th string and so on.....

Which harmonics should I use to do this?
5th fret harmonic on the lower string, 7th fret harmonic on the higher tuned string is what I use. You can also use the 12th fret harmonic and 7th fretted note
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The natural harmonics of the 5th fret and then adjacent string the 7th fret. Only, doesn't work for the G and B string-anyone got an idea of any that work?
Quote by robshredsky
The natural harmonics of the 5th fret and then adjacent string the 7th fret. Only, doesn't work for the G and B string-anyone got an idea of any that work?

Use the 12th fret harmonic on the G string and the...8th? fret on the B string. They will be the same pitch.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Use the 12th fret harmonic on the G string and the...8th? fret on the B string. They will be the same pitch.

there's no harmonic on the 8th fret.
Quote by LPGeek

Well, there is it's just very hard to sound. There are harmonics everywhere. Note that I said fretted note though. Not a harmonic.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by LPGeek

he means pick it.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by LPGeek

Actually there is, it's just a little difficult to find, but he just means fret the 8th fret, don't do a harmonic. But you don't have to play a harmonic on the 12th fret either. Fretting the 12th fret gives you the same note.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Actually there is, it's just a little difficult to find, but he just means fret the 8th fret, don't do a harmonic. But you don't have to play a harmonic on the 12th fret either. Fretting the 12th fret gives you the same note.

Very true, but he asked for harmonics and playing the harmonic and allowing it to ring is easier in my opinion. That's just me though

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It is actually not the 8th, but the 7th harmonic that you have to play in the 6th string to tune the 2nd string. It also works for the first string, the difference is that you have to play the 7th harmonic on the 5th string to tune the first.
Quote by MG_Sora
It is actually not the 8th, but the 7th harmonic that you have to play in the 6th string to tune the 2nd string. It also works for the first string, the difference is that you have to play the 7th harmonic on the 5th string to tune the first.

That works too but puts the guitar a little out of tune imo.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by 3dgfan
What tune does it take you too after tuning with harmonics?

If you use the 5/7 nat. harmonic method, you can tune to standard tuning (not just E, choose any 6th string note, tune it up, then use the 5/7 method).
Yup, strings 6,5,4 and 3 tune with harmonics at 5th fret on the lower string and 7th fret on the higher string. For string 2, play an open string 2 with a 7th harmonic on the 6th string, for 1st string, play open 1st string with 7th harmonic on 5th string.

The benefit to this method is that you can tune it much more precisely by ear. If you listen carefully you will hear the harmonic resonance interference (a sort of wahwahwahwah sound) The more in tune the two notes are the slower this interference will be until you cannot hear it. You can hear this when you are tuning without using harmonics, it is just not as easy to pinpoint.
Quote by robshredsky
Only, doesn't work for the G and B string-anyone got an idea of any that work?
Nothing using natural harmonics will put it perfectly in tune. The 4th fret on the G and the 5th fret on the B are theoretically the same note (B), but the fact that the 4th fret harmonic is the 5th harmonic in the series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_%28music%29#Harmonics_and_tuning), means it has a variance of 14 cents, which is a significant difference.

As you see on the chart I linked to, the reason the 5th and 7th fret harmonics work so well is that the 5th fret harmonics have 0 cents of variance and the 7th fret harmonics only have 2 cents of variance.

Something I like to do when tuning the second string is doing the second harmonic (octave; 12th fret) on it and the third harmonic (octave + fifth; 7th fret) on the sixth string. Or you can just tune the high E to the low E and tune the B from that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea