Page 1 of 2
I can see why you would be anti-MTV or against the music industry, but why oppose the act (art?) of making music videos all together? The only bands I can think of right now that did this are Fugazi and Pixies, but I know there's lots.
Quote by fender_696
Probably because they feel they are musicians, rather than actors

A lot of mainstream artists should start thinking that way.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Some say linking a video to a song takes something away from the music.

I personally don't agree with that though
Maybe they would rather put time into writing more music instead of making a video.
A song doesn't need a visual accompaniment, at least that's the view that some people have. It happens, no big deal.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by fender_696
Probably because they feel they are musicians, rather than actors

They don't have to be featured in it, though. Not to mention it could be a live video
Were those bands against music videos, or did they just not make any. Cause I understand not making any, but legitimately opposing them is stupid
M.T.V. Get off the...M.T.V. get off the...M.T.V. get off the air!
Seriously though, as much as I love the Dead Kennedys and that song, If it weren't for MTV, Beavis and Butthead might never have been.
"The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town!"-Hank R. Hill (Not that Hank P. Hill who doesn't pay his Discover Card bill)
Quote by tubatom868686
Were those bands against music videos, or did they just not make any. Cause I understand not making any, but legitimately opposing them is stupid

Fugazi were against it and didn't make any. Pixies were against it, but their record label made them do videos anyway. So they decided to make shitty videos to troll the label. (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhox4_SeHQ )

Also, The Replacements did something similar to Pixies where their video was just a picture of a radio.
Probably because it costs the band money to do a video as well. Another reason why not to.
I heard or read somewhere that Pixies did not make any videos because their record label was very small at the time. Actually I believe I've seen a couple of music videos from Pixies before, at least for moneky gone to heaven.

Anyway, I believe some bands do not make videos because of money issues or because due to their lyrics those videos will not receive any airplay. In the end making music videos is a a way promote an album or a band.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Last edited by TaV0 at May 27, 2010,
Well, the reason you would make a music video would be if your song is being played on TV. If you don't have a video, what will they show? Just the album cover?

I would guess someone like Fugazi would do it to be against MTV, rather than against the idea of a music video.
I've seen a music video by the Pixies.
Can be expensive and doesn't give a lot in return. Major labels will often make them because it's mostly recoupable for them (the artist pays the money back from their royalties)
Because it's not HARDCORE or it's not UNDERGROUND enough.

sorry for the obligatory caps

I'm an asshole
Last edited by Spartan101400 at May 27, 2010,
i feel its a form of selling out. its like adding more propoganda to an already good well known song. but this is just me so idk
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
why they should? they are musicians.

To be honest, videos of the band playing "live" are really stupid... and there are videos which are completely awesome

i'll give you an example

Stupid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

Awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vgMYcMROcc&feature=related

Stupid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMJIc9USE2U&feature=PlayList&p=D2433432617DCE73&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

Awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbSZa1b3M_E
I don't like music videos at all.

To me, they add a visual interpretation of the music to the song, which I don't like; I like to be able to interpret the song visually on my own rather than having it put in front of me by the artist. I think it limits the imagination of the listener.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I don't like music videos at all.

To me, they add a visual interpretation of the music to the song, which I don't like; I like to be able to interpret the song visually on my own rather than having it put in front of me by the artist. I think it limits the imagination of the listener.

This is what I was talking about.

Though I don't personally agree with this, I think it's the only real reason why someone could be against making videos. I don't think a song has to have a visual imagery, either imaginary or given, so the existence of it doesn't alter the experience
Quote by RawPower218
Why do some bands oppose making music videos?
Video Killed the Radio Star.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Julian Casablancas said the idea of standing around pretending to sing and play is "retarded".
Rick Astley doesn't like music videos. He finds them repetitive.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Because they dont wanna be like the Jonas Fags. or Hanah Mon-fail-a. I give them props for not wanting to be like those two.

+100 For All Jonas Homo, and Hanah Mon-fail-a haters!

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
One of my favorite bands (Protest The Hero) has made quite a few music videos and they're still not very well known around here.

Just my two cents.
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Musicians sell music, not themselves. That's for hookers and actors.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Buffilax
M.T.V. Get off the...M.T.V. get off the...M.T.V. get off the air!
Seriously though, as much as I love the Dead Kennedys and that song, If it weren't for MTV, Beavis and Butthead might never have been.

a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

I guess...there's really no need to make a video, what's the point? Besides getting more publicity.
Quote by Xter
Because they dont wanna be like the Jonas Fags. or Hanah Mon-fail-a. I give them props for not wanting to be like those two.

+100 For All Jonas Homo, and Hanah Mon-fail-a haters!

Because making a music video makes you into a sellout that doesn't care about music?

Quote by 18th_Angel

Really? So real musicians shouldn't try to market themselves to make themselves more well known, even when they are starting out?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Because usually the videos completely fail to capture the imagery and mood the song on its own has.

I don't know if that's the reason, but if I opposed it that'd be why.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by 18th_Angel

It's funny how you have an APC avatar, as Maynard disagrees with that.

EDIT: In fact if an artist isn't putting themselves into the music they're selling it's probably not worth buying.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Last edited by mattman93 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Xter
Hanah Mon-fail-a.

Urgh.

Replacing a syllable of a band or person's name with a put-down is already pretty lame, but that doesn't even work. "Fail" doesn't share a single sound with "tan", they both have an "a" in them but they're still different vowel sounds. This is the worst portmantau ever.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
any Tool video = art

basically anything else = a person or band who was created to represent an image (whatever that image may be) affirming their image. most of the time, its just shallow promotion.

Why have people forgotten that music is an art?

I'm not saying tool are the only ones who create good, thought provoking videos that actually compliment the music, but the thing is, unless you have something profound or in the least interesting to say with a video, why bother? It's like when a generic metalcore band takes a promo with too much exposure and their arms crossed.

and scowls. why all the scowling??
Last edited by Thomasoman at May 27, 2010,
Really? So real musicians shouldn't try to market themselves to make themselves more well known, even when they are starting out?
Of course you need to market your music. The point is that you sell it based its musical merits rather than how much cleavage you show in your videos.

Quote by mattman93
It's funny how you have an APC avatar, as Maynard disagrees with that.

Yes because my avatar that I chose when I signed up 4 years ago is a clear indication of my personal philosophy . Do I need to agree with the singer in some rock band in order to like their music? No. Do I even care what he thinks? No. I buy CDs with Maynard singing, not books with him discussing his philosophies.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Of course you need to market your music. The point is that you sell it based its musical merits rather than how much cleavage you show in your videos.

Yes because my avatar that I chose when I signed up 4 years ago is a clear indication of my personal philosophy . Do I need to agree with the singer in some rock band in order to like their music? No. Do I even care what he thinks? No. I buy CDs with Maynard singing, not books with him discussing his philosophies.

You can change your avatar...

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Well, if you aren't extremely popular then what's the point? Not many people will see it anyway. Plus there aren't as many networks dedicated to playing music videos.
Quote by rockingamer2
You can change your avatar...

Are you sure? Sounds like magic to me. Are you a witch?
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Are you sure? Sounds like magic to me. Are you a witch?

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Page 1 of 2