NEW SUBJECT:

Alright, earlier the subject was about telling me the basic of recording guitar, but now that I know a little more, I know what I want.

I want to be able to record through a mic from an amp.

From what I understand, you need a mic pre-amp to connect to your computer, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Does the pre-amp take the place of an AI in this situation? Or do I still need an AI + a Pre-Amp? etc. etc.

Please help.
Last edited by ChadLikesGuitar at May 27, 2010,
A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation such as Pro Tools, Reaper, Audacity, Sonar, Cubase, ect. Basicly these are just PC software that allow you to record, edit and mix.

So to your question you will need:

DAW- Reaper and Audacity are free, I strongly recommend Reaper as a starting DAW, Audacity is fine however reaper has a lot more capabilities.

Audio Interface- A cheap USB interface for guitar purposes would be Line 6 UX1 or Fast Track. Depending on your purposes ie. (electric or acoustic) the UX1 comes with POD Farm which is an Amp and effects emulation software program that can give you pretty much any tone you desire.

If recording acoustic you will need a mic. This mic will plug into your audio interface. A good mic for recording guitar would be a Shure SM57.

This is basicly all you need to record guitar effectively and with professional quality results. Hope this helps.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
Isn't there something else though?

I can't remember it but it's something that's very important, but is always overlooked.

What's it called? Ugh this is irritating me.
Guitar -> Interface -> Computer running a DAW -> Out to Speakers plugged in or Headphones... werks fer me.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 27, 2010,
Lol im not sure what your talking about. But nope that is all you need.

Right now Im using:

Guitar > Audio Interface (Mbox2 Mini) > DAW (Pro Tools LE 8) > Eleven (amp software)

Nothing else is required to record electric guitar. If ya figure it out let me know haha.
My Music
alright, lol.

I guess it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I keep thinking maybe... processor? Or something like that.

But thanks for the help.
yep no problem, as long as you have a decent PC, pair of headphones, and a guitar cable, thats all else you need. Pretty simple really, used to confuse me too. Hope this helps.
My Music
Can you then tell me what brands to look at for an AI? my budget for an AI is going to be around maybe 150-200. MAYBE a little over 200.

OH THE THING I WAS THINKING OF IS A PRE-AMP.
Last edited by ChadLikesGuitar at May 27, 2010,
Check out the Line 6 UX2

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX2-with-POD-Farm?sku=250004&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=254011684

It has Phantom Power too for higher end Mics - Good reports too - I have the cheaper model GX1 for just my guitar - they're slick as snot and when you don't wanna Mic the amp the Pod Farm Amp Modeling software is a whole lotta fun.

Even cheaper on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX2/dp/B001EKECC2
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 27, 2010,
Ok if mic'ing is the way you want to go. Definitely check out the Line 6 UX1 and UX2 both very good interfaces and comes with POD Farm so you can use that also if you wanted to.

For a Mic definitely the Shure SM57, pretty much the industry standard for mic'ing guitars cabs and anything with high SPL. A preamp is NOT required. A preamp is used to strengthen weak signals, sometimes this leads to coloration of the sound and noise in the end recording depending on the preamp.

I do not recommend a preamp for an amp through as the sound level should already be plenty strong, and you can adjust the input volume with your audio interface. You will not need one. Money is better spent on a great microphone instead. And yes if you have a preamp you still need an AI.

Hope that helps.
My Music
Alright, well I already have the UX1, and it's pretty shit to be honest. And so is POD Farm.

I'll just go around the net looking for stuff.

Thanks a ton for all the info you guys have given me
what dont you like about the UX1 or POD Farm. Im sure I could point you in a different direction.
My Music
whatta Dufass. Wasting our time is what gets you off? The UX1 doesn't have Phantom Power son so your probably using a WalMart Mic - be gone...
Quote by Swayver
what dont you like about the UX1 or POD Farm. Im sure I could point you in a different direction.

It just sounds terrible when I micced up my amp with an SM57 is all.
Well as strangedogs said the UX1 does not have Phantom Power.

Also, POD farm is not meant to be used with micing and amp. It is supposed to be used for direct input to your UX1.

Also terrible how? noise? signal strength? explain please. Highly doubt your problem has anything to do with the UX1 probably more of a Amp/mic problem. Hopefully I can help ya out...but if your set on a new interface then check out the Mbox2 series or Fast Track series of AI's.

Again UX1 is used by many people here and sounds and works great. Just trying to understand what sounds bad about it.
My Music
To answer your question, yes, you still need an Audio Interface. A preamp is exactly what it is, a way to amplify the signal before hitting the Audio Interface. Its never meant to take the place of an interface.

As a side little fun note, heres my Signal Chain: Guitar --> Tube Preamp (Presonus Tube Pre) --> Compressor (dbx 226XL) --> Mbox 2 --> Pod Farm

Why the compressor? It helps tighten the guitar sound, allows me to boost the signal and get a solid track before it even hits the amp. It also prevents peaking in case you get one of those strums thats way louder than everything else.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp