Hey all you bassists, I'm an electric guitarist whose friend is trying to get him to pick up bass.

So tell me: Is bass better/more fun? Why?

Let the convincing begin.
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or more fun, but if you actually invest time in it (as opposed to what most switch-overs do, which is just assume they can play bass and just go off of that), it'll make you more useful and marketable in general.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
this is a good point. I also like that the amps seem to be cheaper lol
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
well for me i play both, i prefer bass though.
why? because i don't like to be the center of attention, and i was never any good with chords.
i play both, guitar has more attention and emotion, while bass is like...you are part of the song but not the song. so its almost like even if your playing live, its like your listening to it and playing along. which i like.
Cause we get all the chicks.

Oh wait...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
the groove man, like really depends if you want to lock in the pocket or be the frontman/solo
Bass is a very different animal from guitar. You've got to lock in with the drummer and provide a solid foundation for the rest of the band, but once you do that and get into a groove, it's awesome. Kind of like you're moving the whole song. (in a way, you are...)

As far as difficulty goes, it's much easier to get into when you're playing simple stuff, mut the more complex parts can be a bit harder to master than on guitar.

And yeah, the amps do seem cheaper, until you realize that you need 3-4 times the wattage of your guitarists. They're still cheaper, sure, but not by as much as you'd think if you're going to match the guitarists in quality. One thing that does help is that playing through a solid state amp is perfectly acceptable at any level of bass playing...tubes are not a must-have at all. All-tube bass amps are fecking expensive.
Nope, no sig here.
bass just feels better in my hands, and learning bass will help you add more rythmically diverse phrasing into your guitar playing
no sir away a papaya war is on
Bass isn't "better" or "more fun." It is simply different.

Playing bass in addition to guitar will expand your musical horizons. It'll help give you a different perspective on music. As for how hard it is, there's a saying that floats around here a lot: "Bass is easier to start and get into, but more difficult to master."

If you do pick up the bass though, here are two indispensable pieces of advice: 1) make sure to get a bass amp, you wouldn't believe the amount of people who ask if a guitar amp will work alright. 2) Approach the bass as a completely different instrument, many guitarists make the mistake of treating the bass as an overgrown, 4-string (or however many strings you may have), lower-octave guitar.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Why should we try to convince you that it's a good instrument? The only way you're going to be convinced is if you try it yourself. At the end of the day, we can all spout off personaql anecdotes of what we do with the bass that makes it interesting for us, but unless you have one in your hands and you "get on with it," as it were, it won't click together.

The fact that you seem to require convincing speaks volumes though.
I play both and enjoy both, but one thing I noticed:
-playing bass in a band is awesome.
-alone at home, I prefer guitar. I don't like bass (taht much) as "standalone" instrument.
I play because I have the natural mentality of a bass guitars role in a band. I like being important but not too flashy. I like the ability to lock in with the drummer, and really rock out, because my lines aren't too complicated [not to say they're easy, but not overly complicated]. I also just love the sound and the feeling I have with my instrument when I'm plucking away. Plus when I bust out a cool fill everyone watching me is like "DAMN MOTHA ****A!!! THAT'S SIIIIIIIICK!!!" When my guitarist does it, he gets a "That's pretty sweet." It's very satisfying.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
The instrument that you have doesn't make it fun, what you play on it generally makes it fun. Like playing a guitar solo would be more fun than playing root notes on a bass, but playing a cool bass riff might be more fun than playing simple chords on a guitar. It's all personal preference really.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why should we try to convince you that it's a good instrument? The only way you're going to be convinced is if you try it yourself. At the end of the day, we can all spout off personaql anecdotes of what we do with the bass that makes it interesting for us, but unless you have one in your hands and you "get on with it," as it were, it won't click together.

The fact that you seem to require convincing speaks volumes though.

Ben's right, but I will add that no one even dances to a lone guitar solo. However to quote Larry Graham "Now I gonna add some bottom, so the dancers just won't hide"
I dont know why people are saying bass amps are cheaper. bass amps have always been more expensive then guitar amps, for the simple fact that bass amps have to work 3 to 4 times harder than a guitar amps does to achieve the same decibel rating. the extra power needed to power a bass amp has always driven the cost up.
The groove

and bass amps are more expensive...
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
well first of all, its a new thing, you learn something new. i guess everyone would like to know how to play the bass, the guitar etc. also, as a bass player, you become more "plummy" to join a band or more useful if you already have one(think of being able to play the bass in a song and the guitar to an other).as all know, drummers and bassists are the most hard to find members of a band. finally, for most people, the switch to the bass doesnt mean to forget the guitar, what you have learned on it or stop practicing, you just make a new start with a different instrument.
For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time.
John Frusciante