Ok so i'm playing my strat and i noticed that the G string at the 12th fret wont sustain like every other position does.
I have never seen this problem before and quite frankly i dont want to do anything until i get an idea of whats causing it.

any ideas?
if the string is a little too low, then the note won't ring out.

you can try raising the string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Welcome to world of bottom-end Squiers, it's gonna happen. Like jj said, raising the string with an allen wrench to the saddle might fix it. The problem might also be in the nut, which is known in cheaper guitars to not always be indented correctly.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
this is by no means the bottom end. the bullet is bottom end, this is the 20th anniversary strat.
Well an Affinity is an Affinity- they won't make them better just cause it's a limited edition model. You're right with Bullets being the bottom end though, sorry bout that.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
no need to dis. why not just see if raising string works.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

ill need to get needle nose pliers at work and see if raising the srting will do it.

i love that guitar, great for blues and jazz.
Quote by Alucard817
ill need to get needle nose pliers at work and see if raising the srting will do it.

i love that guitar, great for blues and jazz.

you need an allen wrench.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If the problem is only at the 12th fret wouldn't it be more likely that the 12th fret is too low under the affected string? I don't see how raising the action would help here... feel free to enlighten me
Last edited by van01010100 at May 28, 2010,
Quote by van01010100
If the problem is only at the 12th fret wouldn't it be more likely that the 12th fret is too low? I don't see how raising the action would help here...

more like it's possible that the fret is a bit high or dented.

and a simple way to compensate for a crooked fret is to slightly raise that string.

(could also, be a kink in the string at that fret)

but if the TS decides to try, and finds that, that fret is still a problem, he then might decide to have that fret redressed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have the same issue with my Squier Standard Strat. Imagine that...
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by jj1565
more like it's possible that the fret is a bit high or dented.

and a simple way to compensate for a crooked fret is to slightly raise that string.

(could also, be a kink in the string at that fret)

but if the TS decides to try, and finds that, that fret is still a problem, he then might decide to have that fret redressed.

For the price of a fret redressing on a Squier Affinity you may as well buy a new guitar.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
For the price of a fret redressing on a Squier Affinity you may as well buy a new guitar.

one fret around $20.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If it is just one string it is not the fret unless it has a dent in the fret.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Can be a not properly seated fret too. If it got curled up a bit during hammering/pressing in the fretboard, it's no longer in perfect contact with the wood so it will work like a spring damping string vibrations.
Ok I tried raising the string, still does it. i'm thinking the fret may be damaged, or maybe the nut is screwy. if its the nut i was going to replace it anyway with graphite or bone anyway.
I might just take it to a tech, because honestly the guitar does play nice and sounds pretty damn good.