Today I officially started recording. I'm using Audacity right now & I can't seem to get any almost decent sound.

Can anyone recommend a good mic for recording vocals & guitar?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Get rid of Audacity and download REAPER. It's just about as easy but it has so much more to offer.

EDIT: I use a POD XT LIVE to and record from that and as the guys said below me learning to mix is essential.
Last edited by runx2xthehills at May 27, 2010,
SM57 is pretty much standard. Try Reaper, you can try it for free with full features and its worlds better than Audacity.

EDIT: Beaten to it^
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
GET REAPER, also experiment with mixing and research a lot
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
both of the above guys know whats up. get rid of audacity and download reaper.

SAINTLYEDIT: now its all 3 of the above

aside from that though, whats your signal chain? that is, how are you planning on recording? the mic straight into your computers line in? an audio interface?

Hopefully you're answer is audio interface because if it isn't thats the first thing I'm going to suggest. If you don't have one yet, do some research and try to figure out what will best suit your needs and then if you have any questions, come on back.
everyone still is missing the "GET AN INTERFACE" suggestions... Hopefully you have one Next Hendrix as it's really the most important part of the chain.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Hmm, what audio interface would you guys recommend?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
I just bought this baby

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX/dp/B001EHWD0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1275013453&sr=8-1

$99 from Guitar Center - works sweet and the software is worth that and more!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 27, 2010,
^ Cool, but what if I want to record using my amp. Is there any way to make that work well?
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
If you want to use your amp, what I recommend is a USB cable like this http://www.provantage.com/hosa-technology-usq-110~7HOST04K.htm

You plug your guitar into your amp and then the cable goes out of the line out in your amp and obviously the USB goes into the computer. Really easy, cheap way to record guitar, and if your have a nice amp, it'll sound pretty good too.

EDIT: Also REAPER is awesome.
Last edited by sambot12 at May 27, 2010,
That really appeals to my interest.
If I were to use my Vox AD100VT-XL with it, should I turn the wattage down so I don't screw anything up? or will it be fine if I were to have the wattage higher?

Better wording: Will a higher power amp damage anything if i were to use the USB cable to record or should I stick to lower wattage?
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
If your amp doesn't have a Line Out You'll need to Mic it - you'll need a microphone (Shure SM57 is a good one) and an Interface that supports Phantom Power like the Toneport UX 2

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX2-with-POD-Farm-105148571-i1427098.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=439935207

If you tell us what kind of amp we're talking about it would help
Ill say this again as its been stated before. If your anywhere near serious about recording Reaper is free and totally the way to go. Soon if not already you will come to a point with audacity where you cant do what you want with it, or get the sound you want. Reaper is your answer, once you use it and become a bit familiar with it you'll never look back period.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
The amp I'll be using is a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT-XL

Also, I'm about to download reaper now, but it doesn't seem so free considering there's the license things & such.
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
The license is 100% optional, dont let that fool you. After the 30 day evaluation period, it will ask you if you want to purchase a license which you can if you like, but you can click "Still evaluating" and it will remain fully functional forever, no need to buy a license if you wish not to.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
Ah okay, thanks for the info

Also thanks for putting up with all my stupid questions.

I'll be back once I think of more
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
Quote by Next Hendrix
The amp I'll be using is a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT-XL

Don't record with it. Cheap amps sound like cheap amps when their recorded. I recorded an album with a AD30VT, it sounded like a AD30VT even when mic'd by a SM57 and had some decent mixing.

You're honestly better off with some free VST Amp Sims.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I thought it was a decent amp

WHere does one get VST Amp Sims?
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
All over the place but heres a good place to start: http://www.acmebargig.com/

Of course, only do that after you get an interface.

The VT series are great amps for practice and light gigging. They just don't sound good for recording.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
best way to get good sound out of audacity is to uninstall goto cockos.com and dl reaper
audacity doesnt make your recordings suddenly sound bad, it just doesnt have the tools to make your recordings sound better. if you have a solid signal chain with a good amp, good mic, and good interface, there is no reason why audcity is suddenly going to make that track sound bad. the issues with the program come with the multi-tracking, mixing and effects, not so much with getting the sound to disk. downloading reaper (while a good idea) is not suddenly going to make your recordings sound better.

now, for info on using VST amp sims, try this thread. but as lock said, interface should come first. if you are also doing voals, you want a mic. what kind of budget are you looking at for this? for $100 or so you can get an interface worth using (i would avoid those USB cable thins) and for $200 or so you can tack on an ok mic. much lower than that and you will end up with stuff you will want to replace fairly quickly.
I have to agree with what has been said about Reaper, I have always had a hard time getting VST to run in Audacity properly. Thats not to say that its a bad software, because its not, It just seems to be better suited as a wave editor than a multi-track recording environment. Now, if they could get VST plugs running easier in Audacity, there is no reason that it would not RULE as a mastering environment..

Hope that helps
KM
^thanks for the help.

my budget is around $200 at the moment
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
Quote by Next Hendrix
That really appeals to my interest.
If I were to use my Vox AD100VT-XL with it, should I turn the wattage down so I don't screw anything up? or will it be fine if I were to have the wattage higher?

Better wording: Will a higher power amp damage anything if i were to use the USB cable to record or should I stick to lower wattage?

My 100w head doesn't mess anything up when I do it, so I think you should be fine. Basically I just plug everything in and adjust the settings on my amp until I get a sound I like. Just make sure the volume isn't so high that it clips. I usually have my volume at about 25%.

If you want to hear a sample, check out Demo5 in my profile.