I'm thinking about upping my string gauge from 10's to either 11's or 12's on my electric guitar.

Would I need to file the after to get proper intonation as it's factory setup for 10's and my Strat is set up for 9's?
"teh most gains"
i dont think intonation is affected by the string slots in the nut.

you may need to file the nut for the strings to fit properly though. remember to widen the slot. DO NOT deepen it.
i wouldnt go up from 10's personally, if you want to get better then try practing on an acoustic then when you wanna jam, grab your electric and itll be a breeze.
Quote by Dmt8jr
i wouldnt go up from 10's personally, if you want to get better then try practing on an acoustic then when you wanna jam, grab your electric and itll be a breeze.

when did he say he was trying to get better?
Maybe he wants to down tune?

As far as TS, you shouldn't need to file too much. If you do, you can use the string itself to file it across (widen it) till it fits.

Will you need to re set up your intonation? Possibly. I'm assuming you know how to check that, if not search for the ultimate setup thread.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Dmt8jr
silly post is silly. people use higher gauge strings for the tone. easy to play or not, 10s are still gonna sound like 10s. they aren't gonna sound like 12s.

It's likely you will need to widen the slots. It shouldn't take much to get there. But if the strings bind in the slots, your tuning stability is gonna be compromised. So be sure each string can be pulled effortlessly through it's slot.

Heavier gauge intonate differently. All* your bridge saddles will be slightly closer to the tail.

*if you were using a plain G and change to a wound G, that one will now intonate with the bridge saddle farther away from the tail.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.