Guys,
What bands would you recommend that a self-taught player, such as myself, cover/try out, when starting out pretty new to guitar, primarily to expand my abilities and range? I have been playing for a little more than a year and, excluding standard practice sessions, it's always Metallica for me when I do covers, and that's why I have been thinking of trying out new stuff to improve myself.
I'm mostly into thrash metal/heavy metal but I also love complex acoustic/finger-picked/classic rock/old metal/jazz-type songs.
So which bands would you suggest I go into, putting Metallica aside for a while? for learning new techniques and also improving my skills!
Ive been playing for about 2 months and Iron Maiden, Metallica, Sabbath, etc. is the best thing for me right now, i just dont play the solo's yet. Try some maiden and see what it does for you, there a speed metal band so itll build your dexterity like crazy, has a combination of chords, alternative picking, and lots of differant techniques.
RHCP, they have some easy stuff.
Skynyrd
Blink 182
Alkaline Trio
The list goes on.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
anything with good guitar.
hendrix.-all along the watch tower, voodoo child
david gilmour-pinkfloyd-shine on you crazy diamond I-V
clapton..early on with cream-white room, sunshine of your love
page-led zeppelin-stairway to heaven (solo) whole lotta love, etc.
duane allman-blue sky, one way out, melissa

i know you probably like metallica a lot but like you said, put it aside. listen to songs from the guitarists i suggested. you probably heard a lot of them already but still, good guitar, even if you dont personally like the songs.

i had the same problem after a while of playing guitar. you dont know what more to do. i dont know your level but after you learn your first solo, it all gets easier. solo to iron man and to stairway to heaven are 2 of the first solos i learned.

i dont know if this helps you out but good luck man
Quote by davem27
anything with good guitar.
hendrix.-all along the watch tower, voodoo child
david gilmour-pinkfloyd-shine on you crazy diamond I-V
clapton..early on with cream-white room, sunshine of your love
page-led zeppelin-stairway to heaven (solo) whole lotta love, etc.
duane allman-blue sky, one way out, melissa

i know you probably like metallica a lot but like you said, put it aside. listen to songs from the guitarists i suggested. you probably heard a lot of them already but still, good guitar, even if you dont personally like the songs.

i had the same problem after a while of playing guitar. you dont know what more to do. i dont know your level but after you learn your first solo, it all gets easier. solo to iron man and to stairway to heaven are 2 of the first solos i learned.

i dont know if this helps you out but good luck man

of course it helps!!! thanks for the list. i will try out all of those songs first thing I wake up tomorrow.
thanks again.
Buy a metronome. Timing is what it is all about. If you can afford it take lessons. There is nothing better then someone pushing you along to improve skill. But,if you you need a album to jam with go out any buy Judas Priest's British Steel. Learn it cover to cover and you have a pretty damm good foundation for rock n roll.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Look into different songs. For me, I used to love Classic Rock, but since my friend started recommending me stuff, I now LOVE RHCP, and am more into avant-garde and stuff.
RHCP is also really good for learning improvising too, since Frusciante pretty much improvises every solo he plays, so it's a nice start to pick up some licks and improvise with.

This is also something I've gotten into recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
I love harmony like this.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at May 28, 2010,
something like the faceless?

I say pick a tough song and work very slowly for a long time until you get it perfect..It must be a song that you adore because otherwise You will lose interest.