Page 1 of 2
Gear flipping... as in buying guitar gear used for cheap and selling it/trading it for a profit....

So who here does it? I'm finally going to start doing it, as it is summer and I'm bringing in a shit load of money from my boring regular part-time job.

Any general tips from people who have been at it for a while?

But mostly what I'm curious about though is the process in general. Do you guys buy from craiglist and sell on ebay? or the other way around? Or is "private clientele" the best way to make money doing such a thing? Ive got a decent idea of what to do here, but Ive only dealt with people as far as buying gear for myself, never for a profit.

Im not really looking to make a lot of money doing this, just maybe some profits or breaking even. Hell ill even loose a reasonable amount of money doing it if that's what it comes down to. I just really want to play/own a lot of really awesome gear this summer.

TL;DR Gear flipping? Advice?
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at May 27, 2010,
Quote by guitaruboy
i do it with old amps and stuff that i find at goodwill and garage sales

Do you make a decent amount of money doing it?

.... i didn't know goodwill sold guitar gear.
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

don't do it unless you're matrix claw?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I do it on occasion when I get good deals on stuff I don't really want. Getting on waiting lists for popular items is a sure fire way to make money. It takes forever though. I buy from all over but I typically avoid eBay at all costs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i would say look through the classifieds in the paper and look on local craigslist. Once you get the gear make sure you take the time to clean it up and make sure everything works. You might even want to go have it professionally checked out. Just remember that most things on ebay go for half of what the sticker price is at most guitar shops and online music stores. So if you find a peavey 6505 for $350 then it might be worth it to pick it up. You might make up to 100 - 300 dollar profit on it if it is cleaned up enough and sells for the same most 6505's sell for.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
i would say look through the classifieds in the paper and look on local craigslist. Once you get the gear make sure you take the time to clean it up and make sure everything works. You might even want to go have it professionally checked out. Just remember that most things on ebay go for half of what the sticker price is at most guitar shops and online music stores. So if you find a peavey 6505 for $350 then it might be worth it to pick it up. You might make up to 100 - 300 dollar profit on it if it is cleaned up enough and sells for the same most 6505's sell for.

Yea I can for sure get good deals on purchasing things, the problem comes down to selling it you know? I can buy 5150's and 6505's all day here in nashville for 400 dollars, but where the hell do I sell them for remotely close to what guitar center does?

....other than camping in front of GC with amp heads under my trench coat....

Quote by mmolteratx
I do it on occasion when I get good deals on stuff I don't really want. Getting on waiting lists for popular items is a sure fire way to make money. It takes forever though. I buy from all over but I typically avoid eBay at all costs.

That's a geat idea man, but why do you avoid ebay? is it just personal preference or something?

I've done it about three times. Once for a Single Recto head. bought it at gc for 700 sold it for 900. Another time with a Laney gh. bought it for 450, sold it for 600. Did it with a dual recto half stack. bought it for 1100, sold both things for 1700. Tip for flipping is you buy whats popular for cheap. Buying stuff that sells is key. You could get a great deal on a vintage amp but not be able to flip it for that much or anything at all.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i have a friend that can do it quite well. it takes patience and vigilant eye for deals and a vast knowledge base. you should become more knowledgeable than owners in order to be effective. it's not easy either, so it helps if you are a gear junky and want to find deals anyway but start soaking it in.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i have a friend that can do it quite well. it takes patience and vigilant eye for deals and a vast knowledge base. you should become more knowledgeable than owners in order to be effective. it's not easy either, so it helps if you are a gear junky and want to find deals anyway but start soaking it in.

I am the biggest gear nerd I know. I guess my problem is just getting rid of things I buy for a profit.

Quote by mexican_shred
I've done it about three times. Once for a Single Recto head. bought it at gc for 700 sold it for 900. Another time with a Laney gh. bought it for 450, sold it for 600. Did it with a dual recto half stack. bought it for 1100, sold both things for 1700. Tip for flipping is you buy whats popular for cheap. Buying stuff that sells is key. You could get a great deal on a vintage amp but not be able to flip it for that much or anything at all.

The one time I attempted to do this was with a rect-o-verb, but i failed miserably. I ended up losing like 400 dollars on it... but yea, who did you sell these amps to?

I avoid eBay because of fees and there are a lot more scammers there. And a bunch of bitchy buyers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by schtick_bomb
I am the biggest gear nerd I know. I guess my problem is just getting rid of things I buy for a profit.

The one time I attempted to do this was with a rect-o-verb, but i failed miserably. I ended up losing like 400 dollars on it... but yea, who did you sell these amps to?

C list. Or Facebook classifieds sometimes works. I bought the gear for the most part from my local GC's. The dual recto half stack was a guy on clist needing to sell it because his wife was bitching at him so he offered a ridiculous deal. There was a Vintage modern halfstack for sale for 700(2000 new) but i got snipped. Just check CList and cities near you clist for good deals. Im based out of three cities for the time being so im always on clist
Dude, you've got it all wrong, dont do it for the money...

Do it for the gear.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Dude, you've got it all wrong, dont do it for the money...

Do it for the gear.

+1. Unless your Mclaw supplying the South American Guerillas with amps to use in military coupes dont do it for the money, expecting something
Ya. It's really hard to make a significant amount of money doing this. At best you'll come out even over time. Unless you have the patience to hold on to gear forever if you need to. On the plus side you'll get to try a lot of gear.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
if you know how to fix one. for example, i taught myself how to wire a guitar as well as fix pickup internals (basic stuff, not winding or anything).

but basically you can take a non functioning guitar and for literally the cost of solder, fix it for a decent used price.

i was given a guitar with literally everything wring with it. 40 bucks of cheap parts and about1-2 weeks, i have a guitar i could probably sell for 250. it so happens i like it, but im just saying.

people would probably give away a squier that doesnt play. solder some wires, bam get 50 bucks for it. sumthin like that.
I frequently sell something for a little more than I paid for it with CL equipment. I don't do it for the money though. It's nice to make a token profit just to show the wifey that buying gear isn't the same as throwing money away (which every other holdhold purchase does).

If I was going to resell equipment to make money I think typically buying on CL and selling on eBay would get the best return. Providing of course your local CL has any deals.
Quote by AcousticMirror
don't do it unless you're matrix claw?

I do it. There's only 1 or 2 amps I've gotten where I didn't make money on them either in cash or in a trade, and the only reason for that is because I really wanted to try whatever it was I was getting and was willing to take the loss

Quote by schtick_bomb
I can buy 5150's and 6505's all day here in nashville for 400 dollars, but where the hell do I sell them for remotely close to what guitar center does?

If you can really get 5150s (heads, no 6505s) for that price. I can guarantee you a sale at $700 shipped for each one, as long as it has the footswitch. I haven't been able to find them cheap like that in almost 2 months, so if you can get them... I will buy them

PM me if you're serious.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 28, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you can really get 5150s (heads, no 6505s) for that price. I can guarantee you a sale at $700 shipped for each one, as long as it has the footswitch. I haven't been able to find them cheap like that in almost 2 months, so if you can get them... I will buy them

Are you referring to heads or combos?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/msg/1763216155.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/msg/1762558300.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1762967052.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1760949211.html

You can still find them pretty cheap, you just have to look... you should know this!
Quote by i_am_metalhead

This I do know. But most of them are not willing to ship, do not have references, or never email me back

Oh and heads only. Actually, this goes for anyone... if you can get me a 5150 head for $700, I will buy it. Lots of orders for them in Russia and they're getting impossible to find at a good price
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
When I get on waiting lists, it's in case I ever want to try the pedal. But Cornish and DAM stuff selling for double the new price is ****ed up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by MatrixClaw
This I do know. But most of them are not willing to ship, do not have references, or never email me back

Oh and heads only. Actually, this goes for anyone... if you can get me a 5150 head for $700, I will buy it. Lots of orders for them in Russia and they're getting impossible to find at a good price

Find me a VTM120 and I'll find you a 5150
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Find me a VTM120 and I'll find you a 5150

Haven't seen a 120 in a while. But I've been debating picking up a 60 lately
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
Doitnao. Mine is beast.

Oh I want one, just not willing to pay the regular price for one

So ****ing pissed at eBay right now though. I submitted an offer of $150 on an amp last night so I'd be sure to win, but it didn't register that I clicked "Confirm Offer," and I came back like 5 minutes later to pay for it... and I lost the auction... at $31. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Yeah, you'll find one at a good price soon enough. Maybe not as silly as mine....

Wow. what amp was it?

Crate GX-130C. Passed up the SS-150 and VH-140C that ended a few days before just because I knew that one was going to go cheaper... and then my ****ing bid didn't even go through!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Crate GX-130C. Passed up the SS-150 and VH-140C that ended a few days before just because I knew that one was going to go cheaper... and then my ****ing bid didn't even go through!!

Dang! That would've been sweeet.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
You should sell me yours, forsaknajohn...

Or trade it??

PWEASE!!??

LOLWAT
Quote by forsaknazrael
Dang! That would've been sweeet.

Yeah

Now there's none for sale!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mmolteratx
When I get on waiting lists, it's in case I ever want to try the pedal. But Cornish and DAM stuff selling for double the new price is ****ed up.

Why? Don't be impatient and you don't have to pay the rediculous prices. Not saying I'd do this, but if there's a market for it someone will and I don't see anything wrong with it. If not having to wait 6 months for something is worth $100 to someone that's their decision. Time is money, and some people's time is worth more than others.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by MatrixClaw

some bastard out there got a GX130C for ONLY $31!!!!!
I was trolling ebay, CL and a few other used sites for one of those or a VH for months and never found one for under $350 in working condition
but I did get an awesome deal on a practically new Randall
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
some bastard out there got a GX130C for ONLY $31!!!!!
I was trolling ebay, CL and a few other used sites for one of those or a VH for months and never found one for under $350 in working condition
but I did get an awesome deal on a practically new Randall

Yeah, that guy shall die if I ever meet him in real life

"Hey guyz, I got this Crate GX-130C on eBay yesterday for $31... Good deal?"

"SUPER JUDO CHOP TO BALLS AND FACE!!!"
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, that guy shall die if I ever meet him in real life

"Hey guyz, I got this Crate GX-130C on eBay yesterday for $31... Good deal?"

"SUPER JUDO CHOP TO BALLS AND FACE!!!"

You would SAY 'super judo chop to balls and face?'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
You would SAY 'super judo chop to balls and face?'

Yes, haven't you seen Austin Powers!? He announces his judo chops!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, haven't you seen Austin Powers!? He announces his judo chops!

My judo chops come with no warning.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Why? Don't be impatient and you don't have to pay the rediculous prices. Not saying I'd do this, but if there's a market for it someone will and I don't see anything wrong with it. If not having to wait 6 months for something is worth $100 to someone that's their decision. Time is money, and some people's time is worth more than others.

Yea but the reason there's such a long waiting list is because of those who are on it just so they can flip it. It pushes people who legitimately want it back considerably.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 2