So here's the story: found used Kramer Striker, loved it, got it home, set up the trem, started to use the trem, wouldn't stay in tune, wouldn't dive bomb very low, bad sustain, weird feeling on huge bends.

Today, while dive bombing, I looked at the nut and it seemed to be rising off the neck as I dove down. I took off the strings and tried screwing in the screws that hold it on to the neck because it felt loose, but the screws wouldn't go (its's screwed in from the top, not with bolts from the back). Then I tried unscrewing them and the treble side one (right one) came off fine, then the bass side one (left one) came out without any screwing after I spent a minute trying to screw it in farther.

Conclusion: The holes for the screws that hold the nut down are stripped out. The question is how do I fix this? Longer/ wider screws won't work. Fill it in with some filler substance and screw them back in to that? any advice would be great.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Art & Lutherie CW Antique Burst
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Randall Century 170 Cab/Head
Fender Acoustasonic
Onestly, you should get some hard male dowels, not just filler.
Filler doesn't hold screws horribly well
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
get a tooth pick, or chop stick, or wooden coffee stirrer
break it apart, and get some splinters out of it
coat them lightly in wood glue
stuff them in the hole
you don't need to fill the hole entirely
actually, if you do fill the hole entirely, you're going to have to re-drill a "starter hole"
level out the surface, so that no splinters are sticking up out of the hole
test the screw to see if it grabs
replace nut and screw down tight
I'd use the age old toothpick trick as outlined by sethp above.
I tend not to use any glue but it might be a good idea in an area like the locking nut which really needs to be well anchored to the neck.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by blindsagacity
Onestly, you should get some hard male dowels, not just filler.
Filler doesn't hold screws horribly well

Only problem I can see with that idea is that once the screws are in there won't be hardly any wood left, it'd just be the glue and a very thin layer of wood from the dowel. It's a good thought though. Does anyone know anything about that putty adhesive stuff? Not mighty putty but a similar thing I found in a hardware store. It's suppose to set up really hard and can be used to repair dented and broken wood objects (chair legs etc). I was thinking of using that to reattach the bridge to my broken 12-string acoustic as well so I will probably have extra. The toothpick thing sounds good too. That's what I was originally going to do to fill in the cracks on that acoustic but the general opinion that I got on that was to just pile on an epoxy that will fill the gaps and reattach the bridge.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Fender Acoustasonic
Just wanted to say, I tried the tooth picks on the holes and it worked great... until I messed up getting the holes centered... so I filled it in again. Hopefully I will get the holes in the right place this time. Now I can use this trick for filling in the holes on this new RG I got off craigslist. It has 2 strap pin holes on the bottom end now, but now I know how to fix them. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to keep this on here so if anyone else has similar problems there's a reference article.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head