Ok, so I'm starting a band with some people and I'm playing guitar for it. I have a Fender Baja Tele as my guitar, which I love, so I'm all set with that. I need an amp though. I'm thinking I can either make a cab, or get whatever I can find cheap that will work, but I need a head. I'd say my price range is $600-800. I need to be able to get an tone that can range from Four Year Strong and Set Your Goals like overdrive to Thursday like cleans and overdrive. Do you guys have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
please listen to me here... i've played too many shows to count or remember and you NEVER need a head. trust me. they're too god damn loud, you always mic at gigs, micing at 100W head volume is a bitch, and its a pain to transport.

unless you're playing for 600-800+ people nightly, avoid the head. i got by with amazing results for years on various combo amps alone. when i NEEDED the head, i rented one for the show that had a big turn out. keep in mind, we were playing for 400-600 about once a week, and 100-300 about three times a week...

anyway, my combo suggestion would be looking for a used mesa mark series or some sort of rect-o-verb (or similar). a bugera 333XL or 6262 could do as well. hell, look into older JVM series amps by Marshall as well. you can find those used for really cheap
Quote by User_Name336
please listen to me here... i've played too many shows to count or remember and you NEVER need a head. trust me. they're too god damn loud, you always mic at gigs, micing at 100W head volume is a bitch, and its a pain to transport.

unless you're playing for 600-800+ people nightly, avoid the head. i got by with amazing results for years on various combo amps alone. when i NEEDED the head, i rented one for the show that had a big turn out. keep in mind, we were playing for 400-600 about once a week, and 100-300 about three times a week...

anyway, my combo suggestion would be looking for a used mesa mark series or some sort of rect-o-verb (or similar). a bugera 333XL or 6262 could do as well. hell, look into older JVM series amps by Marshall as well. you can find those used for really cheap

uhh what? heads come in many shapes and sizes and arent all 100 watts. Hell a head and a cab wouldnt be that much louder or softer than what you listed. The 333xl and 6262 are loud as ****, and heavy too.

If pop punk is your game try the Jcm 900 heads. Great head for cheap. Maybe a single recto head if you can find one used for that cheap. Lots of pop punkish bands use recto heads.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I appreciate that. The only reason I was asking for a half stack is because I was in a band playing bass before, and they didn't mic our amps at most venues we played at, but they weren't that big. If I can get away with a combo over an extremely loud drummer and another half stack then I'll definitely look into that.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Combos , especially tube ones, can more than handle venue volumes. My only beef with them is that if they are large, they are extremely heavy and awkward to carry up and down stairs/ tranport. I much prefered moving a head and a 2x12/1x12 cab, but thats all preference
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
uhh what? heads come in many shapes and sizes and arent all 100 watts. Hell a head and a cab wouldnt be that much louder or softer than what you listed. The 333xl and 6262 are loud as ****, and heavy too.

yeah, i know. i was just saying because of his genre stated, that most heads are between the 50-100W range, and the fact that most people not knowing about heads/cabs tend to go with a 100W head with 412 cab.

either way, volume aside here. the combos i listed are there for a reason. gigging with those you're sure to be heard whether you're miced or not. its just easier to mic the combo just because the speaker breakup comes at a lower volume (2 speakers vs 4 speakers). and yes i know i'm over simplifying it, but lets assume they have the same speakers in both the combo and 412.

the combo is just a more cost effective solution for gigging compared to a head/cab in most instances, and you always get more use in my opinion. with the combo, they can always be miced well, so volume isn't that much of an issue. cleans break up sooner, so if you're after that sound, that can be miced too... much easier than the headroom you get from a 412 cab and head
Bugera 1990 is a JCM 900 clone. I'm working on getting one myself for a FYS tone as well.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
If you're after Four Year Strong, SYG sound, go for maybe Orange Rocker, or Marshall JCM2000.
They have amazing crunch channels which are perfect for this style, and they're clean channels will certainly not disappoint.

Edit:

Just reading more of the thread. The JCM2000 has a 25 Watt setting, and the Orange Rockers are 30W, So perfect.

I also find that having a head is the greatest thing ever for portability. All the local shows I do, Cabs are usually provided, so I just need to bring my head a long. Which is so much easier than a combo. I also have a 2x12, which is perfect for porting when I need to.
Last edited by Iveness92 at May 28, 2010,