I need help deciding between a few of these guitars. I play mostly alternative/rock/metal/mainstream stuff. As of right now, these choices are just based on looks because I haven't been playing very long, so any suggestions on what would be best for the type of music I play would be appreciated.

Ibanez RGA42FM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235

PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-25th-Anniversary-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=423596
Last edited by Jarik at May 28, 2010,
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige

find one and buy it.
hands down the best guitar ive owned, and ive owned fenders(2),schecters(3),danelectro(1), and this is the only guitar besides my taylor that i will never sell.

ive played the ibanez Rg dx you have listed, and ive played the PRS in that price range.

i honestly hate the PRS neck and they look like they are laminated.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at May 28, 2010,
Prs Prs Prs
Blues isn't hard to play, but it is hard to feel.

-Someone on the forum
I own an RG similar to the 350DX (RGT42DX) and a Tremonti SE for comparison. If you're ordering, I think you'll have much better luck with the Custom 24. I've been wanting the 25th Anniversary ever since I saw it. The Schecters I've tried have been good, but I don't think they compare to PRS.
RGA42 gets my vote. but the biggest question is do you want a tremolo unit or not? i'd want a fixed bridge for the type of music you play so that i could change tunings. i had an RGA121 a while ago and loved it. these seem like the less expensive version. definitely recommend them!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
PRS... mainly because I hate Ibanezes. Really if it were me I'd be looking at an old Greco on ebay.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
If tone means anything to you, you should get a PRS, period.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
So it looks like either the RGA or the PRS is the way to go. Can anyone explain the differences between the two?
Well, both are 24 frets, dual humbucker etc etc etc

The biggest difference will be in the neck. The neck on the Ibanez will be a lot thinner, some say it's better for shredding or just fast playing in general... I disagree- for my hands it just gives me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Soundwise... it's a tough call. PRS will give you a better range of styles, the Ibanez not so much. Both are good quality and hold their own. It's really up to you- try them out if you can. And don't limit yourself. Try everything.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Well, both are 24 frets, dual humbucker etc etc etc

The biggest difference will be in the neck. The neck on the Ibanez will be a lot thinner, some say it's better for shredding or just fast playing in general... I disagree- for my hands it just gives me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Soundwise... it's a tough call. PRS will give you a better range of styles, the Ibanez not so much. Both are good quality and hold their own. It's really up to you- try them out if you can. And don't limit yourself. Try everything.

my rga121 sounds great it has a 5 way switch with coil tapping in the 2nd and 4th pos.
i can get a august burns red sound(guitar player uses the same guitar) to a red hot chilli peppers sound when i use my marshall DSL
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
PRS Custom 24 is the best for sure. It is the most famous PRS guitar, and has amazing tone. The sustain on a PRS naturally is about the same as a strat with a sustain pedal, that's how insain the sustain is.

If you like new les paul humbucker tone, with just as good if not better craftsmanship, your best bet is PRS Custom 24.
Quote by MUSE_FenderTAMA
PRS Custom 24 is the best for sure. It is the most famous PRS guitar, and has amazing tone. The sustain on a PRS naturally is about the same as a strat with a sustain pedal, that's how insain the sustain is.

If you like new les paul humbucker tone, with just as good if not better craftsmanship, your best bet is PRS Custom 24.

PRS SE 24

not custom 24

two way diffrent things
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E