Unless your final coats are an inch thick, you're not really going to effect your tone. Some may beg to differ, but in all honesty you're not going to notice any difference.

Polyurethane is what most manufacturers use nowadays, but you also have Nitrocellulose and Acrylic lacquers.

Unless you have access to the proper spraying equipment (either yourself or someone you know), I'd go with something in spray cans. You won't find any PU products, so it's either Nitro or Acrylic.

Nitro is available from many luthier suppliers, whilst Acrylic is usually available from auto repair stores.

Both these products will take some time to harden, but there are some 2k versions available that are pre-mixed with hardener.

I'm in the UK so unable to recommend any retailers but I'm sure someone else can provide that info... Try Stewmac and Guitar ReRanch.

Read the finishing thread to find out exactly what you'll need to get a perfect finish (grain filler, sanding sealer, primer, colour and clear)... oh, and if you don't want 'gloss' then go for a 'matt' or 'satin' lacquer.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at May 28, 2010,
What do you mean polyurethane doesn't come in a spray can? There are several varieties at my local Home Depot. I used oil-based satin polyurethane from a spray can on my guitar, worked really nicely. Also, satin and matte are not the same. Satin still has a sheen to it, whereas matte has none at all.
Quote by Mike-T93
What do you mean polyurethane doesn't come in a spray can? There are several varieties at my local Home Depot. I used oil-based satin polyurethane from a spray can on my guitar, worked really nicely. Also, satin and matte are not the same. Satin still has a sheen to it, whereas matte has none at all.

We only have acrylic and nitro in cans over here (UK).

Correct about the difference in satin and matte. Neither give a gloss finish which is what electric arrest wants.
They sell spray polyurethane in B&Q, it's just not a very good product.

You can also do a wipe-on poly finish or an oil finish depending on what you're going for.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.