I know the Fuzzface is usually associated with hopped-up psychedelic tones a la Hendrix, but considering they both use one, can a Fuzzface be used to get the sort of smooth, saturated, watery lead sound that Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa both get?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Yep, Analogman Sunface BC183.
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Most of their tones aren't FF. If you want to hear EJ use a FF, listen to Desert Rose. You can immediately tell when it's on. It's still smooth but more horn like. Bonamassa just uses it for an end of the world type thing. Both use BC183 loaded Fuzz Faces although EJ experiments with a lot of them. There was an NKT 275 loaded one that I know he bought a few weeks ago.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Most of their tones aren't FF. If you want to hear EJ use a FF, listen to Desert Rose. You can immediately tell when it's on. It's still smooth but more horn like. Bonamassa just uses it for an end of the world type thing. Both use BC183 loaded Fuzz Faces although EJ experiments with a lot of them. There was an NKT 275 loaded one that I know he bought a few weeks ago.

+1, also Joe used/uses one that EJ rejected

Joe is also using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle live lately.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Eric Johnson uses a fuzz face, but it seems to be pretty subtle. It sounds like it's used more to drive the amps' front end rather than to really distort the signal, so the amplifier is just as important as the pedal in his case.
He also uses a lot of echo and reverb to "smooth" it out.
Quote by sashki
Eric Johnson uses a fuzz face, but it seems to be pretty subtle. It sounds like it's used more to drive the amps' front end rather than to really distort the signal, so the amplifier is just as important as the pedal in his case.
He also uses a lot of echo and reverb to "smooth" it out.

everytime i have seen pics of his fuzz face the fuzz it set to about 4 o clock... wouldn't call that subtle. You could try lovepedal 200lbs if you can find one on craigslist or ebay. I heard eric has his fuzz faces modded so that they stack better with overdrive something about either changing input or output transistor to a lower value i think. Also I believe he rolls his tone knob on the guitar down a little to get his tone.