Does it really make a difference whether the volume pot is 250k or 500k?

And also which would be preferable for a HSH pickup setup?
Depends on your wiring diagram.
If you are going to have 1 tone for the whole thing, Get whichever one suits a humbucker(I can't remember wihich value)
Pretty much, the volume pot would be whichever pickup you have the most of. You have 2 humbuckers, so I'd say get the value for the humbuckers.
..I was watching my death.
500k for the hums and 250k for coils is the usual, i would use 500´s in that config :x

Theres some difference on the sound, 250k tends to be warmer and softer than 500k and 500k is more of a heavy thing hehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Heilz at May 28, 2010,
The higher the pot value, the brighter the tone of the guitar. It's not a subtle difference, either. You'll definitely notice it. 250k tames the highs of single coils and 500k tames the bass of humbuckers. The volume pot is wired across the hot and ground of the guitar. Higher pot values bleed less treble to ground. It will make little to no difference what value you use for a tone pot. Only matters for volumes. Tones are parallel to the signal, not in series with it like a volume pot.

Go ahead with 500k in that setup. 250k will more than likely make the humbuckers sound muddy. That's my experience anyway.

If you had an all-humbucker setup, you could even try 1M pots. They make it too trebly for my taste but some people like it. It would be unbearable with a single coil in the mix, though.

Quote by vodkanoodle
I have been told (never tested it myself tho) that if you use a value a bit higher it will result in more travel of your knob but no other actual difference.

If you are talking about physical rotation distance, no. 99.9% of pots have approximately a 270 degree rotation. resistance value is irrelevant.
2 thing to add to what jim said

The higher the value of the volume pot the less smooth the taper will you turn it. In other words the amount of volume drop off when you turn the knob from 10 to around 8 will be much greater with a higher value pot but then it becomes less effective from 8 to 1. Some brands will compensate for this better than others but it's still an issue.

Also, the amount of top end that you lose when you turn the volume down is increased with higher value pots so a 1M pot might be significantly brighter than a 250K pot when the volume is at 10, the 250K pot will be brighter when the volume is at 5. If you want to keep your top end at low volume but also want to use a high value pot then you can add a small capacitor between the 1st and second lug of the volume pot. This will create a direct path for high frequencies so that they don't get lost traveling through the pot.
If you want a single coil/humbucker mix, you can always put a resistor between the hot output of the single coil and the ground. This basically means that when the ingle coil is selected, the value of the pot is lower.
I've used a 250K volume pot on a humbucker before.
I like the sound. Isn't too trebly but is very bassy. I really like to have a bassy tone though. For me, bass=orgasmic.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by pot head pyro
If you want a single coil/humbucker mix, you can always put a resistor between the hot output of the single coil and the ground. This basically means that when the ingle coil is selected, the value of the pot is lower.

I dont know much about resistors...i'm guessing 250k? i have no idea.

Like this?
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Quote by electric arrest
I dont know much about resistors...i'm guessing 250k? i have no idea.

Like this?
If, for example you had a 500k pot, you would use a 500k resistor and it would make it into a 250k pot when used with the single coil.