Alright, so I've been wanting to get a 7 string for a while and have been wondering what an appropriate choice would be. I'd be using it mostly for "djent" or other 7 string progressive metal type music, and would be running it through an Engl Powerball. By doing some research myself, the Ibanez RGD and the Schecter Jeff Loomis signature look like the most appropriate options. Also, I'd like there to be no time restrictions on waiting for the guitar (i.e. no custom shop, or BlackMachine etc.), and price is not a huge factor. If it's good, it's worth paying for.
Thanks!
Im looking at buying a Ibanez RGA7 but i am on a budget. It is a sick guitar though for the price. Between the two you listed i would go with the Jeff Loomis, I have played one and it was amazing.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I live in Canada, but it doesn't really matter seeing as there are both Ibanez and Schecter dealers in town.
I think I'm going to get the Loomis signature, it's cheaper, adn the extended scale length of the RGD looks sketchy.
I was going to get a Loomis, but I ended up getting one custom made. I played every 7-string I could find and the Loomis was definitely the most comfortable and sweetest. I'm still finalizing all the specs on mine and it'll be a wait, but if I didn't have the time for it, I would have 100% gone with the Loomis.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
ibanez RGD PRESTIGE...costs 500 more than the schecter though.......not sure if it is worth..the new RGD's are insanely priced(in a bad way)

how about a RG1527?
If you're willing to get a used one, Tom Anderson and Suhr (among others) make 7s. Keep an eye on craigslist and ebay and maybe get an account at TGP, the people there list high end stuff all the time.
if you can get hold of Suhr,man!! they make some of the best guitars...I personally dislike anderson though....
As awesome as a Suhr would be, they're too expensive new, and I would like to get a new one with a warantee.
Also I tried the RG1527 and wasn't a huge fan, the neck seemed a little strange, other than that it seemed fine, nothing exceptional though.
The difference in necks on those guitars are huge. The Schecter has a pretty fat neck, I have fairly large hands and I just can't get along with the necks on Schecter 7 strings. The Ibanez will be paper thin and be a much easier transition from 6 to 7 string.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
whatever you do, don't buy the gibson seven string, the thought of a 24.75 scale length seven string makes me cringe. as a first seven string, i'd probably go for an ibanez RG, they're super comfortable, have fast necks, and their body sounds nice and heavy and is good for putting in better pickups. thats just my opinion, next time i'm in the market for one im probably gonna get a schecter because the bigger neck and extended scale length feels natural for a seven string for me, so just try out a variety of guitars
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
whatever you do, don't buy the gibson seven string, the thought of a 24.75 scale length seven string makes me cringe. as a first seven string, i'd probably go for an ibanez RG, they're super comfortable, have fast necks, and their body sounds nice and heavy and is good for putting in better pickups. thats just my opinion, next time i'm in the market for one im probably gonna get a schecter because the bigger neck and extended scale length feels natural for a seven string for me, so just try out a variety of guitars

What the!?

Gibson makes a 7 string!?!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheQuailman
Post #3.

Meh, I don't click links unless they have a description first
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's the dreaded Gibbo 7, so it's probably better tha way.

The guitar does look mighty nice though, usually 7s look odd to me. But 24.75" on a 7 seems as pointless as alcohol free beer to me.
Quote by TheQuailman

The guitar does look mighty nice though, usually 7s look odd to me. But 24.75" on a 7 seems as pointless as alcohol free beer to me.

I imagine the muddiness might be nice for sludge.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'm definitely not going for the Gibby seven, and although the agiles look nice, they have rather obnoxious necks from what I hear, so I'm gonna stick with the Loomis, and put a Bareknuckle coldsweat and nailbomb in there, seeing as emgs make me cringe, and I absolutely hate switching active pickup batteries.
Loomis ftw, that guitar rules.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Quote by ThrashAttack666
I'm definitely not going for the Gibby seven, and although the agiles look nice, they have rather obnoxious necks from what I hear, so I'm gonna stick with the Loomis, and put a Bareknuckle coldsweat and nailbomb in there, seeing as emgs make me cringe, and I absolutely hate switching active pickup batteries.

You do realize you'll have to do some mods to make a regular 7 string passive pickup look correct in a guitar that comes stock with the EMGs, right?

You'll either have to get custom pickup rings, or retro-fit an EMG-style cover on there like this:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-sevenstring-org-workbench/112866-mod-emg-covers-for-passive-pickups.html

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You do realize you'll have to do some mods to make a regular 7 string passive pickup look correct in a guitar that comes stock with the EMGs, right?

You'll either have to get custom pickup rings, or retro-fit an EMG-style cover on there like this:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-sevenstring-org-workbench/112866-mod-emg-covers-for-passive-pickups.html

Looks worth it to me. Who doesn't love working on their guitar?
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
The Loomis is indeed very nice; but, going by looks alone, I'd go for the Black instead of Red. That color combination looks like a pustule that exploded.

In case you like or are interested in Actives, LTD has the baritone SC607B (27" scale) ... very, very similar in feel to the "higher-end" ESP STEF-B7. The feel and tone differences on mine are very slight.

Quote by TheQuailman

Its totally a preference thing though. I love that guitar, and I don't think I'll ever want a different. It was worth ever dollar, and more.
Quote by FatalGear41
The Agile Interceptor is a very popular 7-string guitar, and it looks like a hell of a bargain for the features it has:

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro727ebttred.html

There is at least one 7-string thread on this forum that should have all of your answers.

Thread Starter is in Canada, Rondo Music does not, under any circumstances ship here. Do your research, he even said he was Canadian.

As for a suggestion, can't go against a Loomis 7 since I have one, and it plays like a dream. You'll be quite happy with it if that's what you go with (of course, this is IMO :P).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Dude, the RGD 2127 is quickly being heralded as one of the "grail" guitars from Ibanez. Expensive with weak pickups but the scale length, the build quality and all the other features make this thing a machine to be reckoned with.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Nevermind guys, I recently ran into a stock Ibanez RGA Prestige 7 that looks orgasmic (Identical to the Devil's Shadow Finish 6 string prestie, but obviously with an extra string), so I'm probably gonna get that.
And, yes I did know that you need to modify a guitar meant for active pickups to put passives in it.