Page 1 of 2
So the other day Colin posts a thread about all the gear he's getting to replace the gear he lost in the flood. In the thread he's like I'm getting this amp. I'm like orly. I get on the good ole internet and I do some research. Then I head over to my favorite gear selling place and do a quick search. Well....truthfully I've been thinking about these amps for a while. Anyhow, I find one for sale. I email the guy...you still gotz the guds? He replies ya I gotz teh goods stuffs. Where you at? And I say Rhode Island yo. And he's all like fo realz? I'm in Western Mass. And I'm all like omgwtfbbqcopterOMW. I hops in my car and zoom down the highway stopping by McDonalds for an extra large fries and a delicious mocha frappe to keep my up during the long drive. Had some smashing pumpkins on the ipod. Life was good.

1 hour later

I show up. He's got everything hooked up. I play for about 30 minutes. We're talking about gear he's played how the amp compares etc etc etc. He let's me touch his suhr. Beautiful strat style guitar. It was the yummy. He's all like you wants this? And I'm all like hellsyas. I gives him the blingblang and then haul this heavy ass amp to my car. Put the smashing pumpkins today on repeat. Realize I only had 30 miles of gas left. Stop for gas and then zoom zoom home. I was very excite.

1 hour later

I returned. I could barely contain my excites. I did the only rational thing
I put my nuts on mah amp.

Ya that's right the nuts.

This is a 2007 earlier production model of the Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100SE+ running 4 el34s, 6 12ax7s, and running a plexi replica transformer. It is the high gain version of the od100 line designed by John Suhr. Luthier, Inventor, Genius, Long Haired Rascal.

This amp has the honor of being back breakingly heavy. Seriously, it's the heaviest amp I've ever picked up. I mean honestly...

The transformer has a center block. It's to keep the head cab from collapsing under it's own weight like a very poorly built archway. Remember that game. It was like jenga. But an arch.

Total weight - 1 million breakdowns.

Anyhow. Sooooo exciting. I had just bought a whole bunch of new old stock tubes. I couldn't wait to get this thing popped open and replace whatever tubes were in here with new old stock tubes.

5 minutes later

FOILED. It's a trap!!

SOMEBODY HAD ALREADY PUT 6 NOS USA JAN12ax7s in here. Sigh, changing preamp tubes is the light of my day.

Oh well good thing I used my no more tears baby shampoo today. Time to flip flip through the manual.

Wait a minute...internal trimpot controls the total amount of gain on channel 2? It's factory set to halfway...
HALFWAY? That's only 50 percent!....

5 minutes later

turn turn turn. 100 percent.

Hmm what speakers should I use for this thing while I wait for my scumbacks...
well let's see I want tight bass...a little mid boost and clear but not piercing highs.

Welcome to the bayou. Population: Freebird.

HERE IS MAH REVIEW:
This amp is teh nuts. Can it do metal? Clearly.
How much gain does it have? Not as much as my K-tre
Is it crunchy?? Not as crunchy as the Soldano SLO overdrive channel. But...the slo's master volume is a cake lie. Turn the gain all the way up and it's loud no matter what. The MV isn't voiced to allow it to let that fizzy tube saturation through. The OD100 does which makes it seem more compressed. But, I reckon if I had a barn this thing would get pretty crunchy.
How are the cleans? Better then the K-tre, although the K-tre has a more versatile clean channel. Not as good as a Dumble clean circuit.
What's missing? A true spring reverb would make this the last amp I'd ever need until next week.
What sucks? Very heavy. Almost crushed my hand.
Overall?? The nutz. It is better then the K-tre? Who cares I have both. Is it better then the Soldano? Who cares I'm buying one next week.

I'm out of lawls. Clips tomorrow. NIGHT.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I hate you...

Goodbye
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
dumble bitch slap!
Man wouldn't it be nice if I could a/b the cleans of a dumble circuit with the cleans of the od100se+
sigh.
wishes.
what's all this dumble clean channel talk? why can't i play one? should i add a tube on my next amp build, just to have a seperate "dumble clone" channel? jesus.

maybe i should?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh shot...I was kidding.
you ruined teh funny.
My ods100 is coming back tomorrow.
I was about to provide the a/b comparison for you guys.
now i really wanna try. hmmm... now i'm really interested.

currently designing my second amp...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Acoustic, just a question, how in the name of christ do you sum up all this money, every week I see a NGD, NAD or something along the lines of New *Insert* Day. I'm very jealous.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Acoustic, just a question, how in the name of christ do you sum up all this money, every week I see a NGD, NAD or something along the lines of New *Insert* Day. I'm very jealous.

step 1: purchase thd flexi50
step 2: save up money and track down something reported to sound like a plexi, something that sounds like a blackface, a tweed, and a vox
step 3: purchase said amps.
step 4: spend hours and hours turning knobs and swapping tubes until you're fairly certain the thd can get the sounds of the plexi, the blackface, and the tweed. But not the ef86 channel of the vox-clone. Make records of said settings.
step 5: keep vox clone. keep the thd. Sell everything else.
step 6: purchase od100se+
step 7: put your nuts on it.
Quote by AcousticMirror
check out this kid with tourrettes doing srv through the od100se+

http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/vids/default.aspx?vid=sterling1

note: does not actually have tourrettes.
note2: is a long haired hippie child though

tone is too creamy for texas blues... i think. way too high gain. need more bass!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
tone is too creamy for texas blues... i think. way too high gain. need more bass!

needs to cut hair!
I can't help but thinking that after all this time of buying amp after amp you should have settled on your sound now and actually played your guitar. Perhaps that missing sound you are constantly searching for is more about your playing? You can hardly blame the amp any more, if you haven't found your tone by now it simply doesn't exist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 28, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
step 1: purchase thd flexi50
step 2: save up money and track down something reported to sound like a plexi, something that sounds like a blackface, a tweed, and a vox
step 3: purchase said amps.
step 4: spend hours and hours turning knobs and swapping tubes until you're fairly certain the thd can get the sounds of the plexi, the blackface, and the tweed. But not the ef86 channel of the vox-clone. Make records of said settings.
step 5: keep vox clone. keep the thd. Sell everything else.
step 6: purchase od100se+
step 7: put your nuts on it.

Hmm, you should write a book, especially with the applying of the nuts part. The extreme detail makes everything so much clearer!
In all serious-ness, I have to agree with your method, I've just never thought of it like that before.

EDIT: You forgot about not having to put up with the ridiculous prices of guitars and amps in Australia.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 28, 2010,
Dude... you are one mad man.

I thought my gear purchases were a lot... your's is downright excessive.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Cathbard
I can't help but thinking that after all this time of buying amp after amp you should have settled on your sound now and actually played your guitar. Perhaps that missing sound you are constantly searching for is more about your playing? You can hardly blame the amp any more, if you haven't found your tone by now it simply doesn't exist.

I mean I practice plenty but I bore easily. I definitely know what I don't like. Other then that its more a process of figuring out what I don't need. I needed a bunch of amps on hand to match my flexi with and I needed to know what it couldn't do. I know plenty of people that have rooms and rooms of one type of amp. That's not my goal here. I'll stop when an additional amp or guitar doesn't add anything except tonal overlap.
I guess I'm sorta tunnel visioned towards playing live. I wanted MY sound that I could take with me to gigs. Luckily, I found mine pretty early in my career and stuck with it. I DO have another amp but that is just my backup amp and thing I drag along to simple gigs where I just want guitar > amp and am feeling lazy. The idea of collecting amps at home for my own amusement simply doesn't enter my mind. Different strokes and all that ..........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror
1 hour later

I returned. I could barely contain my excites. I did the only rational thing
I put my nuts on mah amp.

LOL

Quote by AcousticMirror
How are the cleans? Better then the K-tre

WHAT!?!?

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!

Quote by AcousticMirror
check out this kid with tourrettes doing srv through the od100se+

http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/vids/default.aspx?vid=sterling1

note: does not actually have tourrettes.
note2: is a long haired hippie child though

That kid lives like 10 minutes from me. Used to see him posting crap on CL all the time. Was gonna buy a Bogner Uberschall from him one time
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 28, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I guess I'm sorta tunnel visioned towards playing live. I wanted MY sound that I could take with me to gigs. Luckily, I found mine pretty early in my career and stuck with it. I DO have another amp but that is just my backup amp and thing I drag along to simple gigs where I just want guitar > amp and am feeling lazy. The idea of collecting amps at home for my own amusement simply doesn't enter my mind. Different strokes and all that ..........

Ya, definitely. If I was gigging more and playing live I wouldn't have time at all to tweak things and mess around. But then again, I already figured out that I would be more then happy to play live with either a deluxe reverb or a soldano avenger depending on which type of music I would play.
Oh. My. GAWD!
you have no idea how frustrating it is for a poor and moneyless tone chasing gear-addict like myself to sit hear and watch people like you post your redonkulous NADs every other week full of beautiful amps I will never be able to afford

but I can't much blame you, I'd be doing the exact same thing if I had the cash
HNAD!
I found the standby/standback switch labeling quite clever
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 28, 2010,
best opening post ever.

and nice, real nice.

can't listen to clips, have to go buy a couple "fender" pieces.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
well the soldano will always have better crunch then anything alive...
and the k-tre has more gain not better gain...but not by much.
Maybe the ktre will be sold? They have very different gain structure and voicing though. I will do a/b/c comparison. Can't do clips nao. Lunch with lady friend. Then back for clips.
Quote by AcousticMirror
well the soldano will always have better crunch then anything alive...
and the k-tre has more gain not better gain...but not by much.
Maybe the ktre will be sold? They have very different gain structure and voicing though. I will do a/b/c comparison. Can't do clips nao. Lunch with lady friend. Then back for clips.

You are telling my the Soldano gets better "crunch" than a old 68' SLP or a modded 800?
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
population freebird lol.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^^ Well, the SLO was good enough for Eddie and Clapton to switch to them during the '80s/'90s...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
how did i miss the soldano NAD?
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
hahahahahahahah awesome.

what's the feedback knob, and the switch beside it?

and last time i saw a pic of john suhr he looked pretty bald to me...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another mouth-watering NAD from you, AcousticMirror... Congratulations!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahahahahahah awesome.

what's the feedback knob, and the switch beside it?

and last time i saw a pic of john suhr he looked pretty bald to me...

The feedback knob basically dampens the speakers/ helps you go between the plexi sound and a modern sound. The toggle switch is the Whomp! control and it lets you adjust the the low mids.
Quote by colin617
The feedback knob basically dampens the speakers/ helps you go between the plexi sound and a modern sound. The toggle switch is the Whomp! control and it lets you adjust the the low mids.

ah, that sounds sweet, thanks!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bostonrocks
You are telling my the Soldano gets better "crunch" than a old 68' SLP or a modded 800?

You're talking about a 3+ gain stage and a 5+ gain stage. I would say the Soldano gets more crunch. The quality will be similar. But we're talking a really good slp or 800.
Quote by AcousticMirror
You're talking about a 3+ gain stage and a 5+ gain stage. I would say the Soldano gets more crunch. The quality will be similar. But we're talking a really good slp or 800.

yeah. hmm. interesting. how does your tophat sound?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Awesome. So crunchy.
The thing is...I don't really like crunchy. I like liquid smooth.
Cuz you can't hear my mistakes!
Lemme swap pickups and tubes and I'll record.
Page 1 of 2