Hey!

I'm just curious - what pedals do you prefer?

I've heard many people saying that Boss is much more reliable and better built, but that they are pretty equal when it comes to the sound quiality.

I'm looking at many different pedals, so I'd love to have some of your advises
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
Eh, to me they're both kinda budget/bedroom/small gig pedals. I don't really have a preference. I own two digitech ones for playing around with and my friend has a boss pedal board he put together. No significant differences to me.

What kind of pedals are you looking for? I think there are plenty of better options around.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think that they are equally good/bad.
Try em' out if you can but beware that many possibly better options exist.
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
Last edited by R0B0_Ninja at May 28, 2010,
I find Boss has great pedals, and Digitech has great pedals.

Personally overall prefer Digitech though, simply for the Hardwire pedals.
Love the Boss GT-8 and GT-10 though!
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
I'm looking for flanger, chorus, delay, and maybe a distortion and phase, tremolo.
What other optional pedals would you guys recomend?

Btw, nice picture D0B0_Ninja (Hocus Pocus) =D
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
Quote by bogg808
For us to give you proper recommendations we will need to know your budget.

Well, I'm not sure wether to buy single pedals, or a multi-effect pedal. I bought a Line 6 Floor Pod a while back, but I was not very happy with it... however, I do not have that much money right now, so I figured I'll just buy several single-effect pedals over the time.

But I', not sure.. hmm.. maybe around 300 USD
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
I own a couple of bosses and a digitech, I Would say get nither and get EHX pedals.

Their cheaper (at least in the UK they are online.)and better then Boss and Digitech.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i love mxr pedals, they are great, the smart gate imo better than the isp, i also love the flanger and phasers by mxr, also electro harmonix is good. Dont forget about trex, they are a bit more expensive, but the quality is there. The trex replica is one expensive but reliable and good sounding delay. it all depends on your use of them. do you want just a jam pedal? live gig? studio?
Quote by mmdude22
i love mxr pedals, they are great, the smart gate imo better than the isp, i also love the flanger and phasers by mxr, also electro harmonix is good. Dont forget about trex, they are a bit more expensive, but the quality is there. The trex replica is one expensive but reliable and good sounding delay. it all depends on your use of them. do you want just a jam pedal? live gig? studio?

I'd use them for all - jam, live and studio. I'll check them out

thanks
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
They're good budget pedals, but are hit and miss. I have a Bad Monkey which is actually a very nice OD, but if you pay twice as much money you're generally going to get better quality
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
The EHX pedals look really.. ehm.. not reliable. They look like they break very easily, but that might not be the fact.

But the MXR's and EHX's have really few options/knobs - ain't that kind of a minus?
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
The Boss tuners are good, as are the delays. Most of the rest have annoying flaws when they come stock but, sound great once modded.

I can't really comment and most Digitech pedals apart from the Hardwire series, which absolutely smash the equivalent Boss pedals.
404: Sig not found.
Just because it has fewer knobs doesnt make them any less of a pedal - In fact theyre probably better that way - simpler to use, smaller casing etc.

I'd recommend EHX for delay, distortion/fuzz , reverb and synthy stuff. MXR would be my choice for chorus and phaser. Digitech - The hardwire pedals are fantastic, but boss do some really good stuff aswell. With pedals, the more you pay, generally the better quality they are (Very General - EHX pedals are usually better quality than digitech pedals, and are cheaper too)

As an aside: I have an MXR blue box fuzz pedal, unless you can get an older one, I don't recommend it simply due to the volume drop it has, and there's no fix for this on the newer ones .
i would almost never go so far as to say one brand is always better than another brand. boss made some fantastic pedals back in the day, and some of the stuff now isnt half bad either. lots of the current production stuff is kinda bad though, especially a lot of the modulation. digitech on the other hand, seems to be getting better. they used to be ok, but something you only went for on a budget. now theyve got things like the bad monkey, which is a very nice tubescreamer clone, and those hardwire pedals which people seem to love.

so especially with things like pedals, you go on sound, not brand. like i love my boss ph-2 phaser, but i wouldnt touch a ph-3.

so for recomendations, i would look at finding a used boss fl-2 for flanger or maybe one of the mxr flangers. delay could be boss dd-3, or maybe the ehx memory boy/toy. for chorus, maybe a small clone, or (i havent tried it though) mxr micro chorus. the boss chorus pedals arent bad either, but nothing to write home about.

if you want phaser, as i mentioned, older boss phasers (ph-1, ph-1r, and ph-2) can be great. otherwise, mxr phase 90 or ehx small stone are popular choices. tremolo, well i dont like the boss one too much, so id go with the ehx pulsar.

i tried to keep all recomendations under $100 per pedal, but there are some other options that are a bit more that could suit you. so keep that in mind when you go try things out.
You could also find a Boss pedal you like and see if there is a modded version on the market such as a Keeley modded TR-2, BD-2, or DS-1...
Quote by jof1029
i would almost never go so far as to say one brand is always better than another brand. boss made some fantastic pedals back in the day, and some of the stuff now isnt half bad either. lots of the current production stuff is kinda bad though, especially a lot of the modulation. digitech on the other hand, seems to be getting better. they used to be ok, but something you only went for on a budget. now theyve got things like the bad monkey, which is a very nice tubescreamer clone, and those hardwire pedals which people seem to love.

so especially with things like pedals, you go on sound, not brand. like i love my boss ph-2 phaser, but i wouldnt touch a ph-3.

so for recomendations, i would look at finding a used boss fl-2 for flanger or maybe one of the mxr flangers. delay could be boss dd-3, or maybe the ehx memory boy/toy. for chorus, maybe a small clone, or (i havent tried it though) mxr micro chorus. the boss chorus pedals arent bad either, but nothing to write home about.

if you want phaser, as i mentioned, older boss phasers (ph-1, ph-1r, and ph-2) can be great. otherwise, mxr phase 90 or ehx small stone are popular choices. tremolo, well i dont like the boss one too much, so id go with the ehx pulsar.

i tried to keep all recomendations under $100 per pedal, but there are some other options that are a bit more that could suit you. so keep that in mind when you go try things out.

thanks, I really appriciate this.

Yeah, I'm looking into the MXR EVH phaser and the EHX Small Stone - they sound really nice, and I've heard a lot good about'em.
I'll check out the other things you mentioned aswel.

What would you recomend for solo/boost, with sustain?

thanks to all of you
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
I think Boss's strongest point is their indestructibility. Run it over, it doesn't care. It'll laugh at you. Very good for live situations.

Other than that, they do sound very good for the price you pay for them. They get the job done, and chances are you'll never have to replace them for any other reason than wanting something different effect-wise.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I think Boss's strongest point is their indestructibility. Run it over, it doesn't care. It'll laugh at you. Very good for live situations.

Other than that, they do sound very good for the price you pay for them. They get the job done, and chances are you'll never have to replace them for any other reason than wanting something different effect-wise.

Yeah they are known for being very reliable, or as you say - indestructable. I'm looking at some Boss pedals, thanks.
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH