Hey dudes and girls,

so basically I recently bought myself a LTD EC-1000 (with EMG 80/61 pups), which is a brilliant guitar, I really love the feel of it. But, here's the problem. What I'm now playing on is a borrowed Line 6 Spider III 75W, which is (as I know many here know) quite.... bad, to put it gently. Anyway, when I get my pay from work in the middle of June my idea is to buy an amp.

Now the deal is; I dont know what to buy. I've played a Marshall half-stack (I dont know which exact model) with 4 or so saveable presets iirc and I've played a Peavy 6505, both of which I loved playing on, they had quite awesome sound. Though I'd lean more towards the Peavy.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of metal, and I play mostly metal, but I also like having a good clean sound, and the option of making some diverse sounds.
Now then;
1. Is it worth investing in a head + cab, even though I'm mainly a bedroom-player? Or should I try looking into a combo?

2. Which amp would suit me better for the music I play? Would also love some other recomendations if you have.

3. I have about.. 1300$ to use on an amp.

Any help here would be just lovely!
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
if your not gigging you don't really need a half stack
the peavey 6505+ combos could be good for you
but they lack on the clean channel
the marshall you played on was possibly the JVM a lot of people on UG don't like it
but i personally think its a great amp
Now you can definitely have your pie and still eat it...

You like pie bob?

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-20h.html

+
two of these little babies http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-112.html

And you have yourself a mini full-stack that actually sounds good.

And you have yourself an amp that has got good cleans with an awesome overdrive sound with enough gain to play metal. Still within your budget too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Valve all the way, Mesa Booge Transatlantics look awesome, switchable wattage from 5 to 25 watts, not sure of the price, but for that budget you should be able to get a half decent tube amp of some sort, and they beat the hell outta solidstate anyday for tone, clean or overdriven
The Mesa Transatlantic and the Blackstar both can't do serious high gain and he wants to play Metal...

6505+ Combo it is!
Quote by ragingkitty
Now you can definitely have your pie and still eat it...

You like pie bob?

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-20h.html

+
two of these little babies http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-112.html

And you have yourself a mini full-stack that actually sounds good.

And you have yourself an amp that has got good cleans with an awesome overdrive sound with enough gain to play metal. Still within your budget too.

I most certainly like pie, ragingkitty, I really do. I actually saw one of those in the shop that I bought my guitar, though never tested it. I might go back and try it out, see if It's any good. Ever triedd it yourself?
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
If it were me, I would get a Mesa Mark series or Recto, or possibly a Marshall JCM 2000.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by EyeHatePunks
The Mesa Transatlantic and the Blackstar both can't do serious high gain and he wants to play Metal...

6505+ Combo it is!

How much gain do you need? You don't need gain leaking out your ears to play metal d00d.

Quote by Vitor_vdp
To be honest I wouldn't recommend getting two 1x12s. One is enough for a bedroom player and is enough for small gigs as well.

Why not? Adding another speaker throws another +/-3db of volume, but it adds a lot more presence and bass punch, which would make the amp sound significantly better than just a 112.

Plus, which feels more epic? A full stack or half a stack? It's like asking if you'd prefer a whole pie or half a pie.

If he has the money to spare and would like more shivers down his spine, I'd take 2 112s.

Quote by Kergash
I most certainly like pie, ragingkitty, I really do. I actually saw one of those in the shop that I bought my guitar, though never tested it. I might go back and try it out, see if It's any good. Ever triedd it yourself?

Most excellent bob, weebl will be joining you for pie very shortly.

Only heard the amp tested out in a store and on the YouTube videos. From my in-store experience, I'd say it can definitely do metal... maybe not the brootalz... but it can definitely do metal, and if you pair that up with an OCD... it'll definitely do all your brootalz EASILY.

I thought that the amp was a very responsive amp... its got good clarity and headroom... and has more than enough power for your bedroom.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
How much gain do you need? You don't need gain leaking out your ears to play metal d00d.

Why not? Adding another speaker throws another +/-3db of volume, but it adds a lot more presence and bass punch, which would make the amp sound significantly better than just a 112.

Plus, which feels more epic? A full stack or half a stack? It's like asking if you'd prefer a whole pie or half a pie.

If he has the money to spare and would like more shivers down his spine, I'd take 2 112s.

Most excellent bob, weebl will be joining you for pie very shortly.

Only heard the amp tested out in a store and on the YouTube videos. From my in-store experience, I'd say it can definitely do metal... maybe not the brootalz... but it can definitely do metal, and if you pair that up with an OCD... it'll definitely do all your brootalz EASILY.

I thought that the amp was a very responsive amp... its got good clarity and headroom... and has more than enough power for your bedroom.

Sweet man! I'll give that amp a real spin the next time I go into the store. And I'll be looking at getting 2 112's, as I want a little more bass and presence. And I recon the Blackstar would be cheaper than the Peavy 6505+ half-stack, as well as the combo?
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Quote by Kergash
Sweet man! I'll give that amp a real spin the next time I go into the store. And I'll be looking at getting 2 112's, as I want a little more bass and presence. And I recon the Blackstar would be cheaper than the Peavy 6505+ half-stack, as well as the combo?

It'd definitely be cheaper than the 6505+ head... but I think that if it is just the 112 cab... it might cost just about the same, and might be more expensive than the 6505+ combo if you get two 112s. However, it'll still be within your budget.

Overall I thought it had significantly better cleans than the 6505+. In this case, it's better to have better cleans and then getting an OD to hit your preamp stage harder, than it is to get a uber high gain amp that can't get good cleans even if you tried twiddling all the knobs.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 28, 2010,
Quote by ragingkitty
It'd definitely be cheaper than the 6505+ head... but I think that if it is just the 112 cab... it might cost just about the same, and might be more expensive than the 6505+ combo if you get two 112s. However, it'll still be within your budget.

Overall I thought it had significantly better cleans than the 6505+. In this case, it's better to have better cleans and then getting an OD to hit your preamp stage harder, than it is to get a uber high gain amp that can get good cleans even if you tried twiddling all the knobs.

Thats very true, I'd like to have the opportunity to get some nice cleans out of my amp, as well as getting really sweet gain. Thanks for the tips man, really helped. ^^
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Just one last question (sorry for the double post);

Would you rather reccomend getting an amp, then recording through it, rather than just buying a little pod and record through it? And I'd have to buy a mic to get the sound proper from the amp (As Im guessing it doesnt have a line out)?
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Best way is a good mic in front of the cab. Easiest way is a pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Then an amp it is.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Used Mesa Mark series.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I have an EC-1000 and i play it through a Blackstar Series one 45. I dont know how much they are in the US but i cant see them being more than $1300. It sounds sweet, its great for using at home as you can vary the wattage from 4.5watts to 45watts at the twist of a nob, Great for gigs and the cleans are very good. Its pretty good for high gain stuff 2 but i tend to use pedals rather than the amps own distortion.
Even though the clean is very good you are never gunna get the greatest cleans out of that guitar because of the emg's. When i play my housemates tele through it the cleans sound alot better.

I have also used that guitar through a Peavey classic 50 212 which is what my housemate owns. Also a very good amp aswell and that has sweet cleans. I think they are better than some of the other peaveys i have played on.
Quote by Cathbard

+1

I think Shure has a USB version of their 57 something mic... not entirely sure, but I remember reading an advertorial in Guitar World once. That would be pretty handy in terms of recording straight to your computer.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I stick with Line 6....with some CuBase goin on

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
ClaytonElgin
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

I think Shure has a USB version of their 57 something mic... not entirely sure, but I remember reading an advertorial in Guitar World once. That would be pretty handy in terms of recording straight to your computer.

That sounds ****ing sweet, man. I'll look into it after I've finally gotten my amp. ^^
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Hmm.

IRCC, gear in Norway is pretty expensive, at least it was when I lived there. I havn't kept up with rate changes, so I'm not sure what this gear will run you for.

Look into a solid combo, it'll get you a better amp for your buck. Their heavy, but if your a bedroom player that shouldn't be a problem. For a high gain amp with cleans I'd recommend the following:

Peavey XXX
Peavey 5150II/6505+
Peavey Ultra Plus
Marshall JCM 2000
Marshall JCM 900
Carvin V3
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Dual rectifier
Marshall JVM
Last edited by denied at May 28, 2010,
Quote by denied
Hmm.

IRCC, gear in Norway is pretty expensive, at least it was when I lived there. I havn't kept up with rate changes, so I'm not sure what this gear will run you for.

Look into a solid combo, it'll get you a better amp for your buck. Their heavy, but if your a bedroom player that shouldn't be a problem. For a high gain amp with cleans I'd recommend the following:

Peavey XXX
Peavey 5150II/6505+
Peavey Ultra Plus
Marshall JCM 2000
Marshall JCM 900
Carvin V3
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Dual rectifier
Marshall JVM

The prices in Norway are still quite high, my EC-1000 went for 8000NOK, down from 13500NOK. Though the Blackstar which is mentioned is sold for 6000 or 7000NOK (900$ - 1100$) iirc, thats with 1 212 cab. But I'll get my guitar and go around some towns, see what they have, and what prices they are. Probably gonna take some good looks at the Blackstar, as I've said, as well as looking into the Peavy combos, if they have them. We have such a limited supply here, its basically retarded.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-