Hey guys... action/fret buzz issue with a new guitar.

The action was too high for my liking, so i lowered it down (@ the bridge) to a nice level, about 1.7mm off the 12th fret , but the strings are now slightly caught and muted on the neck if you play a chord.

In trying to solve the issue, i discovered the string height off the fretboard at the neck is 2.5mm approx (from fretboard)..... compared to 1.5mm on my good guitar. Any ideas if this is the problem or how to go about fixing it? I've attached some pics of the neck and roller nut... which i think might be causing the problem but not sure.

This new guitar is 100% handmade and looks like it has had someone mess with the neck nut
Last edited by Jonashred at May 28, 2010,
Go to the setup thread and ask in there. They will be able to give you better advise.

I would guess that you just need to take the nut off and sand down either the neck or the bottom of the nut so the nut sits lower, this will reduce the 2.5mm a bit, but check in the setup thread before you try anything.
The nut is positioned way too low, you could put something under it if you take off the screws, a little piece of a pick maybe, or sanding the heel of neck by taking it off from the guitar should also fix, those are solutions without majors changes (well, they are so-so changes).
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Actually sanding the heel of the neck would not ruin it on the longrun, that´s the best way round it.

Could someone explain what the actual issue is, not just the solutions? thanks.

The problem as i see it, is that the strings are coming onto the fretboard from the nut too high, and thus slopping down as they go along?

Heilz you are saying the nut is too low? Don't you mean too high? And you are saying i should take the nut off and sand it down? But stay awake you are saying this will ruin it?

Quote by minnis
Go to the setup thread and ask in there. They will be able to give you better advise.

Thanks, done it and i will keep that in mind for future.
Last edited by Jonashred at May 28, 2010,
Oh wait, scrap my two previous post, i thought you were saying it was too low. Unscrew the neck and slide a pick under it and re-screw it in place.

Or take off the nut and sand the wood where the nut´s at really slowly so you don´t go overboard.

The issue is explained by the solution, the nut is way too high because of the cut they made for it, but i think that lowering the action alltogether would even worsen it since you say you lowered it already and it started since then, then that means that your issue´s because of said low action (i play with a high-action guitar 99% of the times :x cant see why people dont like it 0,o)

Another issue would be neck relief, you said you lowered the string height so try adjusting the truss rod, you may not have enough neck bow.

I noticed what seemed to be saw dust specs on the headstock when it arrived, and also i can see what appears to be the edge of a shaved or cracked area behind the nut just sticking out. (not visible in those pics).

Is the edge of the nut (the one nearest the tuning pegs) supposed to hang off the fretboard like that by a couple of mm like that? In other words, will i need to sand both down and sideways into the neck?

Quote by Heilz
the nut is way too high because of the cut they made for it, but i think that lowering the action alltogether would even worse.

I am saying when it first arrived it had a high action which i did not like. So i lowered it at the bridge posts to a normal low level (not too low, about 1.8 or 1.9mm off the 12th fret), but when i tried to play it, the strings were all caught on the fretboard. As i understand, that is not normal, you should be able to lower strings down without them catching at that height. So that is when i went about trying to find the cause of the issue.
Quote by Jonashred
Is the edge of the nut (the one nearest the tuning pegs) supposed to hang off the fretboard like that by a couple of mm like that? In other words, will i need to sand both down and sideways into the neck?

Are you saying that the nut is wider than the neck? If so, not sure how much of a problem that will be but you can get nuts in different widths, to accomadate for the different necks available, the majority being either 42 or 43mm i believe. Im guessing you need a 42 but the nut is 43 or something like that. Im not sure what effect this has though. Only thing i can think of is that it might affect string spacing
So the issue is your nut being too low :x take the string off, unscrew the nut, cut a piece of a pick to fit under it or a little cardboard, re-screw nut in place and restring. That should fix the problem.

What i meant with lowering even more was about lowering the nut lol, which you should do the exact opposite of it.

Quote by Heilz
So the issue is your nut being too low :x take the string off, unscrew the nut, cut a piece of a pick to fit under it or a little cardboard, re-screw nut in place and restring. That should fix the problem.

What i meant with lowering even more was about lowering the nut lol, which you should do the exact opposite of it.

Dude, why do i need to make the nut higher?! Either i am missing something or what. I said i am trying to LOWER the action. How will raising the nut give me lower action? The nut has the low E string raised 2.5 mm off the fretboard @ the first fret.

On my good guitar, it is 1.5 mm. It is already an entire mm higher than my good guitar, and i am guessing that this is why the strings are catching on the neck further down.
raising the nut will let you have not fret buzz and have even a lower action, right now its in diagonal from down to up and you want it the other way or just straight. i thougt that would be a bit easy to understand without this much explanation :x

Its not like you are raising the nut for miles away, its just a tiny bit so when you get the strings lower it will not buzz

Quote by Heilz
raising the nut will let you have not fret buzz and have even a lower action, right now its in diagonal from down to up and you want it the other way or just straight. i thougt that would be a bit easy to understand without this much explanation :x

Its not like you are raising the nut for miles away, its just a tiny bit so when you get the strings lower it will not buzz

I think we are on a different page or something. No offense but do you even know what a guitar nut is mate? If anything it is in a diagonal from up to down (from the neck to the bridge), not down to up. There is no bridge issue that i can see. The bridge can go very low.

I have a good guitar where the strings are no more than 1.5mm off the first fret, with little or no buzzing. It's perfect. This guitar is at 2.5mm, and it's still buzzing and catching!
Last edited by Jonashred at May 31, 2010,
*no intetion of offense even if it seems so*

Well, you come aorund looking for help and we offer it and your too scared to try cause you might brake a nail? Come on just think about logicically for a second you will see how the freak raising your nut a bit will fix the buzzing problems and let you lower the action even more...

lowering the nut height won't help with buzzing.

where is it buzzing? open notes? fretted notes in a particular area? all over the board? can you tell which frets it's buzzing against, as in where it's hitting?

I'm guessing you should check the bow of your neck, and adjust the truss rod if needed. if the bow is fine then you're just going to have to raise the strings on one end or the other. probably at the bridge since you said the height at the first fret is 2.5mm and at the 12th it's 1.8mm you already have a slope that's opposite of what most people do.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 31, 2010,
check the relief of the neck. hold 12th fret and 5th fret, you should be able to fit a business card in the gap.
if the strings touch, adjust the neck.

what it sounds like to me is your neck is bowed causing around the 6th to 10th fret to buzz.
a higher nut will not fix it, problems with nut height can be eliminated as soon as you have buzz on a fretted note.

when making adjustments to the truss rod just go slow and patiently half a turn at a time, let it rest, then continue..

let us know how it goes.
Thanks guys i'll give all this a try soon, but..

Forget the buzzing, buzzing is not the main issue, the issue is that the strings are actually CATCHING on the fretboard, muted, stopped, dragging, whatever you want to call it... they are getting stuck on the fretboard at a height that should be fine.

Quote by Heilz
think about logicically for a second you will see how the freak raising your nut a bit will fix the buzzing problems and let you lower the action even more...

I have no problem with the idea of raising the nut to fixing the issue if this really is the case. I have a problem with the fact that on my good guitar, the height off the fretboard at the neck is a whole mm less, AND it works perfectly! Sure they are different guitars, but surely this raising the nut idea can't be the solution.

I'll find out in the next week or so when i make a trip to some pro shops, and see what they think.
from the picture you posted, the nut is fine.
Hold your guitar by the body, and look down the neck as if it were a gun barrel, is the neck straight, bowed in the middle towards or away from the strings..

My strat is setup perfectly with no buzz.. bridge height keeps the 6th E string roughly 3mm above the 22nd fret, (the fret itself, not fretboard) neck relief allows me to slide a thin business card in while holding fret 1 and 15, fits between fret 9 rougly.
the nut is just a little bit lower then yours at just under 2mm height.