I usually play with thick sharp picks such as Big Stubbies and Tortex Sharps. My tone is usually sharp and shrill. I was playing some Atreyu this morning and I decided to get into the spirit by using the pick that Dan Jacobs threw to me years ago. My tone came to life. It was much warmer and had more depth. I'm trying to find out what pick it is because I kinda like it. It's shiny plastic and it's a solid color. It looks and feels like it's 2mm. It's rounded at the edges. It's standard shape. It's a Dunlop. Anyone know what pick this is and any other similar picks I should try?

This?
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's the one (albeit custom). Any other picks people would recommend for a warmer and fatter tone?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I decided to get into the spirit by using the pick that Dan Jacobs threw to me years ago.

I hate you.

Though I do have a Trivium pick I got thrown to me on Slipknot's All Hope Is Gone Tour.

I'm kind of surprised DJ doesn't use Jazz III's, as most metal players tend to really like them. I know personally, since I tired Jazz III's, I've not been able to use any other kind of pick. They're just it for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i use stubbies. teh hard plactic rounded ones? teardrop kinda shape? a 2mm one has a very mellow tone with smooth release.

i have a .96 delrin turtle one like that. love it. very slick. never played a fat one like 2 mm though. its pretty much the only dunlops i like. i had those gator ones. the matte plastic ones that are almost white fuzzy looking? holding one of those picks makes me want to throw it across the room. i hate it for some reason.
I had a 1mm stubby, and I didn't have that problem at all.
I like the gator-grip picks or what ever they're called. Lately I've been using a medium pick made by Dickies.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I either use stubbies or jazz III's, currently stubbies are my favourite, they have a nicer grip and are easier for harmonics
Quote by kirky boy
I either use stubbies or jazz III's, currently stubbies are my favourite, they have a nicer grip and are easier for harmonics

yup, same thing here. Those things just work
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
Quote by JELIFISH19
Any other picks people would recommend for a warmer and fatter tone?

Use your fingers or try felt picks.

Quote by JELIFISH19
I decided to get into the spirit by using the pick that Dan Jacobs threw to me years ago.

My buddy got a pick from Angus Young once.
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
do picks even change the sound that much (other than how thick they are really)

The thickness, shape (rounded or sharp), and material all have an impact on tone, but the more distortion going on, the less the perceived difference.
Last edited by Tinderwet at May 28, 2010,
yes they do. very subtle changes. mostly in feel and attack rather than just tonal changes.

however a felt pick would be quite a different sound.
Got some MAX Grip Jazz IIIs today,man they really outdo the normal ones,not a single slip problem (at all)
So long home-cutting my jazz IIs!
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09