yo, shadows fall here... again... so... i've been browsing through some threads to learn some new stuff in guitar playing, but i'm kinda having a bit of a problem with them guitar terms

so can any kind soul here care to give me a quick explanation of some guitar terms? like galloping, shredding and some other stuff?

i know what hammer ons and pull offs are, but i'm not even sure what alternate picking is, it IS alternating between two strings right? please correct me if i'm wrong on this, and as always thanks in advance
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall

i know what hammer ons and pull offs are, but i'm not even sure what alternate picking is, it IS alternating between two strings right? please correct me if i'm wrong on this, and as always thanks in advance

No . Alternate picking means you alternate. Up and down. It can be on the same string, or between 2 strings.

You can easily use the search bar to find out about those other terms you were wondering about.
Gallop: A rhythmic term which describes a pattern of 2 short notes followed by a longer one. So you get a sound like a galloping horse. Listen to Run To The Hills by Iron Maiden to hear.

Shredding: any super fast soloing, usually high up on the tiny little frets where you mash your fingers up.

Alternate picking is actually where you alternate between picking an upstroke and picking a downstroke. It can be on the same string or across different strings as long as you keep a strict down up down up pattern.

Hope that helps.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
@Matt420740
thanks for clearing that out, but what do i type in the search bar? (yeah i suck at searching) i tried typing guitar terms, and got nothing, even tried typing gallop but all i got was some threads about how to improve galloping

@MrWeenie
thanks man, i finally know what those two terms means lol
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Unless you can read music, explaining how a gallop rhythm is played may be confusing. My best answer is to go listen to "the Trooper" by Iron maiden.

Alternate picking is just that , always alternate up,down,updown,.... regardless of where the next note occurs. The catch is coordinating that when moving from one string to another. Ending on a down when going to higher string means you have to start on an upstroke.
Shredding is just a term for playing fast, no specific technique, though some think of Shredding as less musical than fast and would thus eliminate a true guitar virtuoso for that classification (pfft. he's just a shredder). Though it's used as a compliment too (look at him shred! What a beast). It's kinda weird.

Galloping is when you play rhythm guitar in very fast triplets

down-up-down down-up-down down-up-down. Think metallica's Battery

Vibrato is when you use your hand to being a string up and down, think B.B. King. Any other questions?
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Quote by JephStiph
Unless you can read music, explaining how a gallop rhythm is played may be confusing. My best answer is to go listen to "the Trooper" by Iron maiden.

Alternate picking is just that , always alternate up,down,updown,.... regardless of where the next note occurs. The catch is coordinating that when moving from one string to another. Ending on a down when going to higher string means you have to start on an upstroke.

thanks for the explanation

Quote by Quoteman
Shredding is just a term for playing fast, no specific technique, though some think of Shredding as less musical than fast and would thus eliminate a true guitar virtuoso for that classification (pfft. he's just a shredder). Though it's used as a compliment too (look at him shred! What a beast). It's kinda weird.

down-up-down down-up-down down-up-down. Think metallica's Battery

Vibrato is when you use your hand to being a string up and down, think B.B. King. Any other questions?

thanks, and just to be sure... is galloping the strumming them metal bands use in a breakdown?
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall
thanks, and just to be sure... is galloping the strumming them metal bands use in a breakdown?

Galloping is not strumming. It's a fairly fast (usually palm-muted) rhythm (not a triplet) that has an 8th note followed by two 16th notes, so it breathes in between (see iron maiden).
Quote by Quoteman

No. No no no no no no no no no no no.

A gallop is a single 8th note followed by two 16th notes whereas a triplet is simply three evenly spaced notes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
@tenfold
k... so galloping is not strumming then, still don't get it, better listen to battery i guess...

oh yeah guys, err... there's some other stuff i wanna know about, like inside picking, and string skipping, and is there any outside picking? lol thanks in advance
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

maybe you're confused on the difference between strumming and picking?

String skipping is just that, skipping over a string, So like picking the A string and the the G string (skipping the D string).

Inside picking - say you're picking the B and G strings back and forth. If you hit the B with a downstroke and the G with an upstroke and keep doing that pick pattern, then thats inside picking.

Outside picking would be hitting the B with an upstroke and the G with a down stroke.
Quote by shadowz_fall
@tenfold
k... so galloping is not strumming then, still don't get it, better listen to battery i guess...

Check this out (0m 51s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Ak78uo0UA#t=0m51s
Listen to what they do between those power chords. They chug/gallop.
@wisdom_cube
whew, thanks for explaining man

@tenfold
thanks gonna check it out
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

@sshayndell12

erm, i actually already know how to hold a pick, although i rarely use one as i always misplace those stuff, i'm more used to using my fingernails as a pick lol
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by sshayndell12
Here is the video on holding the pick. Sounds simple. And it is, once you know the correct way. Holding the pick incorrectly can cause problems. Might as well start off right.

http://revver.com/video/1260266/guitar-p…

*Reported*

@Shadows Fall: Most of the advice I've seen here is correct. You hear galloping all the time in metal and rock, but you probably just don't recognize it. It's the riffs that sound like a horse galloping (hence the name ) As Zaphod said, it's an 8th note followed by 2 16th notes. There's also reverse galloping which is just 2 16th notes followed by an 8th note.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
@Junior#1
yeah, listened to battery, and i think i get what galloping is now, i didn't think the meaning was kinda literal
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.