Page 1 of 2
I'm having a guitar built for me and am finallizing all the specs, now. Looking to have a nice locking tremolo bridge system put on it.
Just wonding what ones are really great? I know the Floyd's and Edge's have their flaws and perks. Are there any obscure bridges that really shine above them?
I've been looking at the Gotoh Floyd Rose and stumbled across the Super-vee bridge and have only heard good things about it.
Are there any other suggestions or warnings about certain ones?
I've had them before, so I know all about the typical problems.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Last edited by Gradyogle at May 28, 2010,
If your guy can rout it correctly, I'd try and get a Z2 system from Ibanez. It's on their S Prestige models, and is an absolutely amazing tremolo system. However, it's on the expensive side, and if you can't afford it or your guy can't do that one, I'd go with just a standard Original Floyd Rose. It's cheap, and is time tested and very reliable.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by cgolden
If your guy can rout it correctly, I'd try and get a Z2 system from Ibanez. It's on their S Prestige models, and is an absolutely amazing tremolo system. However, it's on the expensive side, and if you can't afford it or your guy can't do that one, I'd go with just a standard Original Floyd Rose. It's cheap, and is time tested and very reliable.

I'll check it out and read up on it. I'm ordering my guitar from Italy and they said they can do anything I
request, so I'm definitely looking for the best. Regardless of price, I don't really have a budget.

Anyone have any more obscure suggestions? I like obscure.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
the gotoh one is great (ge1996t)

schaller is another option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cgolden

there are no trems called the Z2..I think you are talking about the ZR2,the zero resistance system

I'm telling ya IMO the LoPro, the edge pro W locking studs and the ZR2 are best tremolos around..

this is how I would rate

Edge,Edge pro W locking studs,LoPro,schaller FR and Zr2>OFR >edge zero>korean OFR,ZR and Edge III>Liscenced FR's and TRS II
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 28, 2010,
I think I might go with the ZR-2 system. It's the classiest looking one I've seen and seems to be getting some votes. Any other opinions?

EDIT: Okay, kind of stupid on my part, but I forgot to mention it in my first post that this guitar is a 7-string. For the life of me I cannot find where to buy the 7-string version of the ZR-2 system.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Last edited by Gradyogle at May 28, 2010,
maybe a kahler system? they're pretty good haven't had too much experience with them, but i've heard amazing stories
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
If you can find one of the old Kahler Floyd copies they're great. Otherwise just go with the standard Floyd or the Gotoh.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Metalmaker
maybe a kahler system? they're pretty good haven't had too much experience with them, but i've heard amazing stories

The Kahler 2300 system looks nice. Anybody have any input on these?
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by Gradyogle
I think I might go with the ZR-2 system. It's the classiest looking one I've seen and seems to be getting some votes. Any other opinions?

EDIT: Okay, kind of stupid on my part, but I forgot to mention it in my first post that this guitar is a 7-string. For the life of me I cannot find where to buy the 7-string version of the ZR-2 system.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm

take a look at that..there are no ZR2 7 strings but you can get a edge pro or loPro 7 string version that is equally superior to the ZR2..If you like ball bearing systems instead of knife edges,You can get a ZR 7 which as not as good as a edge pro or a LoPro,but still a great trem...every trem ibanez makes costs above 250$...dont buy it from the official ibanez site..they charge ridiculous amounts...ibanezrules is the best place to buy genuine ibanez spare parts....

If you order an Edge pro make sure you buy the locking stud mod with it.....

and also make sure that trem will fit the cavity in your guitar...for example edge pro will fit to OFR cavities but Edge Zeros wont...(I am not sure but I think thats the case...or something similar to that)
Edge Zeros won't fit in anything but an Edge Zero route. Edge Pros won't fit in a Floyd route. The only interchangeable ones are the original Edge and the Floyd.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Edge Zeros won't fit in anything but an Edge Zero route. Edge Pros won't fit in a Floyd route. The only interchangeable ones are the original Edge and the Floyd.

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO

on IBANEZ EDGE/LoPro EDGE cavity:

• Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

on IBANEZ EDGE-PRO/EDGE-PRO II cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

• Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

on Original FLOYD ROSE cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

check pics HERE. sorry, italian only, but pics pretty much explain themselves

heres the whole list lifted from the Jemsite...
I love my Kahler, I have one (well, two) original ones from the 80's before they went on hiatus. They're awesome systems.

As for the bending thing, when one string is bent, the rest go flat. Yeah, it happens on both of my guitars. But it also happens on every single Floyd (licensed and original), Ibanez and Fender trem I've used, and it's to a lesser degree to boot. I don't see how it's physically possible to even eliminate other strings going out of tune during a bend in a floating tremolo.

EDIT: After seeing that video posted above, I realized that the problem in question is that a bend throws the whole guitar out of tune after the bend. I don't have that problem with my guitar. Likewise, it stays in tune greatly after dives and pulls. However, the stock Kahler stringlock is garbage. The after-the-nut idea is awesome, but the stringlock itself wears out like nobody's business. I'd recommend not using a stringlock and using locking tuners instead.
Last edited by SolidxSnake at May 29, 2010,
My guitar isn't cut, yet. I'm in the middle of contact with the luthiers and finalizing specs, so I can have whatever cavity routed that will fit the system. But that Lo-Pro 7 looks really nice. Might decide on that, if nothing else comes up then. What are some cons of this system?
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
No,I'm talking about another problem...When a string is bent several times in a row it goes out of tune...IDK but a tech in Facetube has posted a video named Floyd rose vs kahler,and it is discussed in that video...I am not sure to what extent he is correct though........
Quote by Gradyogle
My guitar isn't cut, yet. I'm in the middle of contact with the luthiers and finalizing specs, so I can have whatever cavity routed that will fit the system. But that Lo-Pro 7 looks really nice. Might decide on that, if nothing else comes up then. What are some cons of this system?

LoPro 7 is a very good trem...I really cant think of cons but it does what a tremolo should do very well..

I recommend the Edge pro 7 as well....that is the lowest profile tremolo that ibz makes...
Quote by archenemyfan
LoPro 7 is a very good trem...I really cant think of cons but it does what a tremolo should do very well..

I recommend the Edge pro 7 as well....that is the lowest profile tremolo that ibz makes...

Lol. Nothing besides the usual tremolo problems? Okay. I'll definitely stir my brain over the two and see if anything else comes up. Thank you for the help, sir.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by Gradyogle
Lol. Nothing besides the usual tremolo problems? Okay. I'll definitely stir my brain over the two and see if anything else comes up. Thank you for the help, sir.

as far as I am aware,only that you cant do double stop bends and the usual tremolo crap.
Quote by archenemyfan
as far as I am aware,only that you cant do double stop bends and the usual tremolo crap.

Okay, right on.

Any suggestions on locking tuners? I hear good things about Grover.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by archenemyfan
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=160789

You might wanna take a look at this thread....all are like equal IMO.....

PS:you do not have to cut ball end on the Edge pro,so thats one problem eliminated...But i'm telling you again buy locking studs with it........

Okay, I'll look at a bunch of them and read some stuff then. And I'll probably get the locking studs. I had some on an Ibanez I used to have.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by Gradyogle
Okay, I'll look at a bunch of them and read some stuff then. And I'll probably get the locking studs. I had some on an Ibanez I used to have.

but when reading in forums,there is a catch..If you ask the guys in the schecter forum,the question "what are the best locking tuners",the answer, most probably will be grovers...because all schecters come with grovers....ibanez:gotohs etc. etc.so its best if you look for opinions in unbiased forums...

hope this helps
I was looking on the 7 string forums and it still looks like Gotoh's take the cake for the most part.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Lo Pro , and original edge take the cake for the best locking trem. No questions about it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Lo Pro , and original edge take the cake for the best locking trem. No questions about it

The edge pro(with locking studs) is also up there.....
Quote by archenemyfan
The edge pro(with locking studs) is also up there.....

It is but, the Edge and Lo Pro are imo better than any edge pro. However the edge pro is an excellent system, but if constrains allow, get an edge or lo pro
Original Edge. IMO
FAR better then the Edge Zero on my J custom
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by Pantera95
Original Edge. IMO
FAR better then the Edge Zero on my J custom

the Edge zero IMO is the worst prestige/j.custom trem made by ibanez...and it is not made by gotoh so it doesnt have that smooth finishing that others have(at least in my one)
Quote by archenemyfan
the Edge zero IMO is the worst prestige/j.custom trem made by ibanez...and it is not made by gotoh so it doesnt have that smooth finishing that others have(at least in my one)

Its still as good as an edge pro...I've abused the hell out of my edge zero and still works like a charm. Its about par to edge zero despite what the MIJ and MIG fanboys say.
There's no need for locking tuners with a locking tremolo. They'll just add weight to the guitar that's unnecessary.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mexican_shred
Its still as good as an edge pro...I've abused the hell out of my edge zero and still works like a charm. Its about par to edge zero despite what the MIJ and MIG fanboys say.

it is a good trem(and it holds tuning very well)but there seems to be a problem with consistency because some Edge zeros work great and some dont...the ZPS kinda sucks and the Fine Tuners are not very good...its okay but not as good as its predecessors....
Quote by archenemyfan
it is a good trem(and it holds tuning very well)but there seems to be a problem with consistency because some Edge zeros work great and some dont...the ZPS kinda sucks and the Fine Tuners are not very good...its okay but not as good as its predecessors....

I've never had a problem with the ZPS and the fine tuners ...and that guitar has been trem abused. . Erock a well respected member here and across the intrawebs gear world had nothing but praises for it as well. Still as good as the Edge Pro in my book and thats from years of owing an edge pro guitar and other ibanez trems
Quote by archenemyfan
No,I'm talking about another problem...When a string is bent several times in a row it goes out of tune...IDK but a tech in Facetube has posted a video named Floyd rose vs kahler,and it is discussed in that video...I am not sure to what extent he is correct though........

That same guy has more recently released some videos on how he almost fixes that problem with bending so it's inaudible in any other situation than comparing natural harmonics.
And there once was a video by WammiJ how to set up a Kahler properly, but unfortunately it's gone right now... that one was supposed to point out everything necessary to avoid the bending problem.

In any case are the Kahlers really awesome. I'd get a 7300 with Pro Cam and J-Arm... double locking, has a built in screw to block it, an extra arm for some cool tricks and is virtually indestructible (no knife edges). Apart from not being blockable without extra parts, the Ibanez trems with ball bearings are awesome too.

If you get a floyd styled trem, you might want to look into getting a Tremol-No as well so that you can block it whenever you wish and use different tunings or some fixed-bridge bending stuff.
i thought an edge was a different size to an OFR?

Also, what's the sustain block like on the edge and lo-pro edge?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
In any case are the Kahlers really awesome. I'd get a 7300 with Pro Cam and J-Arm... double locking <snip>
Really?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The S series 7 string has a ZR2 system on it...
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Page 1 of 2