Just to see what you guys are using...

Let's say you need to have a basic clean sound, an overdrive sound and a distortion sound. Would you rather use pedals on top of your clean channel or use amp's gain for more heavier parts of your songs? Also, if you aren't using a multi FX (which im not planning on), how the hell can you change overdrive <> distortion fast without messing up your song (Personally, i need to go to clean channel first, and then put on distortion, if i was using gain's amp)

Atm I am using clean channel on amp, overdrive channel on amp, and a RAT distortion pedal over the clean channel, but it doesn't really satisfy my hunger for more heavier sounds :p
Yeah, that's a common problem. It sounds like you need a three-channel amp, but those can cost a lot of money.

Speaking of which, what amp are you using, mate?
Take your OD and DIST pedals and put them right next to eachother. Wear a shoe, that way you can step on both at the same time. Like you're on the OD and need to get to DIST, step on both turning OD off and DIST on. This works visa-versa.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Yeah, that's a common problem. It sounds like you need a three-channel amp, but those can cost a lot of money.

Speaking of which, what amp are you using, mate?

Laney amplifier, 2 channels (im using pedal for distortion) xD

Stepping on both pedals same time sounds strange! But I can try it :p
Another alternative you can look at is to use 2 mid-gain ODs over your clean channel, that way you can switch one on for OD and then kick the other in for dist.

If you use a really reactive pedal like the Catalinbread DLS or Stephenson FMD as the first pedal in your signal chain, just backing off on your volume or adjusting your pick attack intensity will bring you from a distorted sound to a slightly overdriven, but still clean sound. I do this a lot on the clean channel of my MkV.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 28, 2010,
Quote by PinkTree

Make yourself a stomp that fits over both pedals switches. That way you hit one pedal to press both.
Some multiFX have relay outputs (or external control outs). They simulate a footswitch so when you select a patch it selects the correct amp channel that you programmed for that patch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by PinkTree

Is it a valve Laney amplifer like the VC models?

There are specially designed loopers that you can get that basically act as a mini-midi board, in that you can switch two pedals on at once. I'm not sure on the specifics so I won't go any further with that.

How much money are you looking to spend? Because something like a Tone Freaks Severe or Suhr Riot pedal might be what you're looking for. They are awesome high-gain pedals with plenty of versatility.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Make yourself a stomp that fits over both pedals switches. That way you hit one pedal to press both.

or build/buy an ABY looper so you can have one, the other, or both on at the same time...
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Is it a valve Laney amplifer like the VC models?

There are specially designed loopers that you can get that basically act as a mini-midi board, in that you can switch two pedals on at once. I'm not sure on the specifics so I won't go any further with that.

How much money are you looking to spend? Because something like a Tone Freaks Severe or Suhr Riot pedal might be what you're looking for. They are awesome high-gain pedals with plenty of versatility.

I don't think it's a valve, it's a TFX1, more like low end amplifier. I'm probably replacing this any time soon.

Money to spend? Probably between 1500 and 2000 euro for both new amp and/or pedals. But I should make another thread about that in the future probably, I was just troubled with the fact of not being able to change sounds as fast as i'd liked xp
I personally would do it like this:
Clean sound ---> Clean channel
Rhythm overdrive sound ---> Dirty channel
Lead overdrive/distortion sound ---> Dirty channel with a moderate overdrive pedal (tubescreamer?) for boost

Try using your rat on the distortion channel, but turn up the volume and turn down the gain.
Last edited by sashki at May 28, 2010,
Quote by sashki
Try using your rat on the distortion channel, but turn up the volume and turn down the gain.

+1
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by PinkTree
I don't think it's a valve, it's a TFX1, more like low end amplifier. I'm probably replacing this any time soon.

Money to spend? Probably between 1500 and 2000 euro for both new amp and/or pedals. But I should make another thread about that in the future probably, I was just troubled with the fact of not being able to change sounds as fast as i'd liked xp
Dude, you could get an AWESOME amp with that money. You may not even need pedals.

Make that new thread and see what answers you'll get. Even if you don't have the cash right now, it's good to start the research as early as possible.

edit: Oh, and the reason why you're disappointed with your tone is because you've got a cheap transistor amp. Overdrive pedals just don't suit solid state technology. The RAT was designed to be ran with Fender and Vox-like tube amps. It was also aimed for the Roland JC120, which is a solid state amp, but an awesome one.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at May 28, 2010,
^+1

That amount of cash means you can be picky. There's plenty of multi-channel amps out there that you can try out... make a thread for suggestions.