Hi,

I'm a natural lefty who has played righty guitar for 4 years because I was introduced to instrument through guitar hero which i always played righty. Now I'm looking back at the progress I've been making and wondering if trying to play left handed would be worth a go.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap lefty just to try it out and I'm looking at the schecter omen 6 which is currently about 350 US.

Any thoughts on this idea or recommendations for cheap but quality guitars with 24 frets that are good for heavier tones is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Well, i with personal experience on the matter (tried it just that six years after i was already playing righty lol) will say its frustrating as fk... You know what you need to play and how but the fingers just wont listen lol, even the picking will be odd in the beggining.

Check out www.rondomusic.com. SX aint that bad neither is Douglas or Agile, they have a lefty guitar heaven lol. Just hop your eye on it and tell me later hehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
In my opinion, theres not really a point in learning lefty..

Rather spend the time on right hand technique, it'd be way more beneficial than being able to say "oh look i can play on both sides!"
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by kennykenny
In my opinion, theres not really a point in learning lefty..

Rather spend the time on right hand technique, it'd be way more beneficial than being able to say "oh look i can play on both sides!"

I don't want to play lefty to show off. I'd like to try it to see if I can make more progress playing the 'proper' way. My current skill level isn't what I hoped it would be after 4 years and I'm wondering if it is because my picking hand doesn't have the coordination that it should.

My slow legato playing is actually pretty good, but it relies mostly on the left hand (the hand fretting the guitar).

However, doing fast lead lines that involve lots of alternate picking and switching between strings is very difficult for me.
If you want to learn then go for it, Its easier learning lefty after learning righty (And vice versa) Than it would be to learn from the very start.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by youngapprentice
I don't want to play lefty to show off. I'd like to try it to see if I can make more progress playing the 'proper' way. My current skill level isn't what I hoped it would be after 4 years and I'm wondering if it is because my picking hand doesn't have the coordination that it should.

My slow legato playing is actually pretty good, but it relies mostly on the left hand (the hand fretting the guitar).

However, doing fast lead lines that involve lots of alternate picking and switching between strings is very difficult for me.

Your picking hand does not lack the coordination as such, it just needs to be built up. Keep at it, since youve already come so far, you just have to practise in the correct manner to improve your picking =D
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
THere's also another bonus of playing right handed

You can find nearly any guitar you want where as left handed is somewhat limited.
Maybe I will just keep practicing. I've been saving for a schecter hellraiser fr (dream guitar) and I wasn't wondering if it was worth getting a righty one but I might stick with it.

Anyone know links to good (actually worthwhile) instructional videos on alternate picking technique?

The key areas I need to improve on are fast alternate picking, sweep picking, and fast completely picked licks that span several strings (ex. end of beast and the harlot solo)
Metronome helps so much for building speed

Or using guitar pro and starting at 50% speed and going up by 3% each time, You'll play it heaps but man you'll build speed with it will take tim tho
It wouldn't hurt to try working on your lefty for a while, as long as you don't decrease your playing time righty. But have you ever tried playing left handed? If your hand isn't used to picking, it can't do fricken anything. I'm right handed, but I've tried lefty a couple times, just messing around, and my right hand can mostly get the fretting, but I can't pick at all with my left hand. So I'll guarantee that it'll be a long and frustrating process learning lefty. Plus, as somebody has already mentioned, its a pain to get lefty guitars, and people will be jerks to you about it. (My friends mom got in a car crash and messed up her hand a little so she's switching to lefty, and some dick told her that the only way to be good is to play right handed.)

Definitely keep working on your right handed technique though.
As a lefty who started out playing righty, i found that after playing righty a few months i picked up a lefty guitar, and my playing was almost as good as playing righty after a couple of minutes. Try a lefty guitar first before buying one, you will just be able to tell if its right for you. Sure, the range of guitars is bloody awful, but i'd rather be a great guitarist with one guitar than a crap player with loads of guitars. Plus you can always learn how to build them yourself, thats what ive started doing, and get your dream guitar that way.

Plus being lefty looks cool
Like everyone said, it's perfectly fine for you to just keep using righty guitars. I have a couple of lefty friends that are using righty guitars, and all of them are exceptional guitarists. So, it may be an advantage =)
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Joe Strummer attributes his guitar playing style to playing right handed when he was a natural lefty. Because he was 'the wrong way around' apparently it made him less 'fluent' and limited. That's part of his signature style but I wouldn't want to do that.

Don't know if there's that much in it but I do remember reading/hearing that.
Quote by BoL7z
THere's also another bonus of playing right handed

You can find nearly any guitar you want where as left handed is somewhat limited.

Beaten to it...

playing lefty would be cool in a band perpective cuz you could do the synyster/zacky vengeance thing dueling standing beside each other...but there arent very many *good* left handed guitars. Especially if you walk into a guitar center, 98% of their stock is rightys. I say just stick with right handed guitars. I've noticed its somewhat of a bragging right when a lefty plays a righty instrument lately.
The best player I have ever met is a left handed player that plays right handed. There are a lot of pros out there who do the same thing and you would never know until you watch them sign autographs.

1 build this
2 string half lefty and the other half righty
3 no matter how it's flipped the bottom 6 strings will be correct
4 play both lefty and righty
5 ????
6 PROFIT!
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at May 28, 2010,
i'm a lefty that plays right. the notion of that is the correct way to play is a holdover from many years back and really doesn't have much validity to it. 4 years really isn't that much time in and although some play great after that amount of time most of us mere mortals don't. takes practice and learn about economy of motion, this along with a metronome will help your precision and speed. also keep in the back of your mind (but don't let it discourage you) that not everyone is cut out to play blazing leads. i spent many years trying to be a shredder but in the end it's not my forte. can still burn a lick when needed though (see the song From Beyond in my profile for example). don't forget to use your strengths and work on those (this will be a source of inspiration rather than frustrating). you may never be the next steve vai but you could do alot worse than say be the next david gilmour.