I play Bass in a band, but also play guitar. I am having a hell of a time getting the guitarists to use a capo on songs that actually use them (3 A.M., When I'm 64, Soulshine, etc...). They keep telling me they are for "cheaters" and we'll just play it in the chords named with the capo and play without one. It sounds awful. They will play the same barre chords together on different songs and strum at different rhythmns. I know one of them is just more interested on how he looks than the quality of music he puts out, and the other is his good friend that follows his lead. A Drama Queen and a Pawn in my book.

How do you feel about the use of a Capo?
How should I go about educating them on the use of one?
Last edited by JDkid at May 28, 2010,
A capo is a very handy tool. It can make a CGDA (or something thereof) chord progression sound completey different. When playing the barre chords they could be the right root note, but they could be playing the wrong notes in the chord.
maybe at one point playing in standard tuning was cheating...who cares use a capo
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by JDkid
They keep telling me they are for "cheaters"

Tell them to get the **** off their high horse.

There's NO SUCH THING as "cheating" when it comes to guitar technique. I openly welcome any technique or tool that can be used to make the performance of a passage easier. And this includes capos.

I guess, though, if capos are for cheaters, so are slides, picks, any tuning besides standard, effects pedals...
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
If capos are cheating then so is the nut. Oh and also any other sort of playability related mod you can do to a guitar. (not that a capo is a mod, but you get what I mean)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
They sound like the wrong people to be in a band with.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Tell your friend he's an idiot if a capo is cheating.

There's no such thing as cheating in guitar playing.

Music is a mission, not a competition.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

+1
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Raijouta
Tell your friend he's an idiot if a capo is cheating.

There's no such thing as cheating in guitar playing.

That's what I said!

I'm still surprised there's been no one in here telling us why we're all HORRIBLY WRONG for supporting "cheating". I can't wait to see some people come in here and troll us. That would be hilarious.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Wait... If you're only doing barre chords why do you need a capo?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Not all of our songs use a capo, and the ones the don't both guitarists (if you can call them that) will play the same barre chords, not one playing open chords forms and the other playing barre chords or harmonic chords that follow along.
Last edited by JDkid at May 28, 2010,
Quote by JDkid
Not all of our songs use a capo, and the ones the don't both guitarists (if you can call them that) will play the same barre chords, not one playing open chords forms and the other playing barre chords or harmonic chords that follow along.

Oh I see... That was unrelated to the capo thing... That being the case it sounds like you need new guitarists, not to educate the ones you have.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My thoughts exactly. We play the song Soulshine by The Allman Bros. and the one making a stink over the capo doesn't understand where to play leads (wanna be lead guitarist) because I play it using a capo. However, he can play the same open chords I play using barre chords.

I guess it's true.

"The highest form of ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about."
Quote by jfreyvogel
Education:
Time Flies by: Porcupine Tree

Perfect.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by JDkid
My thoughts exactly. We play the song Soulshine by The Allman Bros. and the one making a stink over the capo doesn't understand where to play leads (wanna be lead guitarist) because I play it using a capo. However, he can play the same open chords I play using barre chords.

I guess it's true.

"The highest form of ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about."

I'm by no means a gig-worthy guitarist, but I know the one thing any guitarist playing with a band should be able to do is transpose chords and scales into different keys and different parts of the fretboard.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Not to mention that there are certain timbres you just cant get without a capo. You can barre a chord perfectly as if it were an open chord and it still wouldnt sound as "open" as when using a capo. Your guitar players are really limiting themselves
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
tell him if his ear is that bad that he cant hear the difference between a capo and no capo then hes a terrible player.