I would like to put a thumb rest onto my acoustic bass but I don't know if I can.

Can I drill into my acoustic bass? If not is there any other way to put it on? And where can I get a thumb rest, my local guitar store didn't have one?
Quote by mrretard
I would like to put a thumb rest onto my acoustic bass but I don't know if I can.

Can I drill into my acoustic bass? If not is there any other way to put it on? And where can I get a thumb rest, my local guitar store didn't have one?

glue?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I'd be wary of drilling into an acoustic, so glue might be your best option. If your local guitar store doesn't stock thumbrests, order one online
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
However you do it, if you put a thumb rest on the top of an acoustic bass and anchor your hand on it, then you are going to seriously inhibit the vibration of the top. Your tone, volume and sustain will all suffer dramatically.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by mrretard

Before you start drilling, try using the edge of the fingerboard as your thumb rest. There's less tension so you can get more movement in the strings; yielding a fuller, bigger tone.

You can get a basic thumb rest from MF, but it's meant to be screwed into solid wood. Don't think I'd trust it not to pull out of a thin acoustic top.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Thumb-Rest-Precision-Bass-and-Jazz-Bass?sku=361336&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26024112

All you really need is a shallow ledge, so a 1/8" thick piece of molding, or maybe plexiglas might do the trick. Make it as long as you need to move up and down the string. Heavy duty double stick tape would probably be sufficient to keep it place. I heard of someone using a double strip of velcro.

Or, you could take it to a luthier and have him/her install one for you. Consider cost of luthier install to cost of bass ratio.