Guys any idea how to get a better melodic death-ish tone. Every amp sim i use with every single tweak i make ends up sounding thrashy.

I need a clean sounding distorted guitar if you know what i mean.

Riffs like

|--------------------------------------|
|-------5----8----7-----5----8---7-|
|----0----0----0-----8----8---8----|

I can't get them to sound good, any tricks or tips or maybe even a specific vst amp sim. I duno guys, im helpless
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
well Ive found that Cut Mids in the EQ... give me the trashy tone...so maybe you should boost emm until you like the mid Freq.
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
The best $149 I have spent on my sound was buying The BBE Sonic Sweet Bundle. The Harmonic Maximizer (and the Sonic Maximizer too at times) goes on everything I do now - it brings out the sweetness in the high-gain VST amp sims. The clarity is like night & day. I wouldn't leave home without it

http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/bbe/sonic_sweet/index.html

Try the demos
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 28, 2010,
I think you're going about it the wrong way. You should find a tone that makes you feel good, record your parts and then work with EQ when you're doing the final mix. A lot of tone comes down to the tuning of your guitar and the way you attack your strings. I'd love to be able to help you out with this but there really is no definitive answer.

At least, not without hearing some clips of what you're doing so far
Id love to post what i have but i dont have anything. I know nothing about audio engineering and to be quite frank with you i have no real intentions of getting deeper into it. Im just a guy who wants to put semi-audible music out there. I don't want pure perfection, i just wanna get away with something that doenst sound like a 5$ microphone recording. But i understand thats impossible, you can't do it all in a day. There's so much to learn i guess. But im trying to atleast for starters, get away with some decent vst that can do a decent job i guess.

Will try the sweet sonic stuff and see what i can get.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

When it comes to metal music, most people fail to realize that it's the passion included in those recordings that will eventuality translate. In other words, it's the notes or the actual music that will play the biggest part. Trying to emulate a tone that has been done in the past will only facilitate an idea that has already been done. The music comes first.

Music is about melody and rhythm, not trying to emulate a specific sound.

I hope I've been of some help to you.
Yeah i guess you re-enforced my thoughts in some way. I mean if you look at the old metal recordings that sound like crap, that was the best metal music really. But will something sounding as bad(recording) be able to compete today. Well ill keep trying anyhoo.
Quote by greendayguitar