anybody ever tried chiselling a guitar???

i was wondering this because i have a practically new set of chisels (i was nearly a carpenter at one point) and i dont have a router

my dad has been moaning at me warning that im going to crack the body if i try to chisel a hole in the body but im not so sure.... any opinions?

all im trying to do is extend the cavity where all the electronics are so i can fit 2 volume and 2 tone pots instead of one of each.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
im sure theres a better way to make the cavity bigger
maybe drill it out?
ok fe ill go grab one of those router attatchments for a drill and give it a go with that lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
It depends how you use the chisel and what sort of wood you're using. If you're going to try and cut across the grain then it will need to be razor sharp otherwise the wood will rip.
I've done it many times. Use a drill with tape on the bit as a "marker" and drill lots of holes where you need to remove material then take out the rest with a chisel and mallet. If the chisel is sharp enough you will be less likely to crack and splinter the body than you will be with a router. It's not easy, but it's doable.