Hey, I'm just wondering...
From the wiring diagram shown here
I would assume that the thin looking wire that is soldered to each pot is a ground?

My question is... is that the ground cable coming out of my les paul's body?

OR if I can get help with Blackout users. Should I solder that grounding wire to anything? I've had EMG's before and did not have to ground them since EMG's are grounded internally.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I wrote to Seymour Duncan:
"I am trying to install the AHB-1 set to my les paul. How come some diagrams include the use of the "Ground wire from bridge" and the diagram for 2 vol. 2 tone 3-way switch does not? My question is... Should I solder the ground wire from bridge to a potentiometer? "

But if I could get an answer sooner from you guys, that would be great!
Last edited by KLanh at May 28, 2010,
In my experience with actives, you generally do not use the ground to the bridge.

However, the thin wire from the back of each pot is the ground, and you DO want to tie all of your pots together that way, and to the jack.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Thanks for the quick reply.

So would you say I should use the ground to the bridge wire to tie the pots and jack? or get more wire?
Like I mentioned, I've installed EMG's before and I don't remember it being like this haha
oops, my mistake. I just took a look at the EMG hardwired diagram and it did require grounding, but at least the EMG package included all the lengths of wires to ground and connect.

The SD package gave me the quik connects for the pickups (red, white, and bare) and a length of black, and a length of white. There may be enough if I cut and strip those lengths.

but that would still leave the 'ground to bridge' wire... should I use it?
Hi,

I am having the same kind of problem. I have mounted a set of blackouts on a Jackson RR3. As possible grounding wires I have 2 wires that are attached to the body of the guitar (under each pickup), and the bridge wire.

At the moment I have soldered all of them as ground wires for the pickups. But I am getting an output level that seems almost equal to my previous SD passive pickup.

Is this normal? Or should I be hearing a big difference? Could it come from my ground wires?

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
Don't bump old threads or hijack threads.

That said,
A) it's quite normal for active pickups to not give that much more output than some passive pickups. In fact there are many passive pickups that have more output than actives. Your guitar set up also has a lot to do with this; moving the pickup closer or further from the strings will effect your output, as will the pots you use and the length of cable you run. Don't forget that the higher ou put the gain on your amp, the less pickup output matters, too. The actual difference in volume between a low-output humbucker and a high-output one is less than 1dB, so with high gain or a generlaly less dynamic amp, you're not going to hear much of a volume change, if any.
B) The bridge should not be grounded with active pickups. If other cavities are grounded and shielded then those should be wired to ground (back of a pot/EMG wire buss/etc).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for the reply. Useful information.

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread I thought it was preferred to post a question in a closely related thread rather than create a whole new thread. Will be careful next time.