It looks to me like the song is in A minor. The first time you see the sweep picking the tab I have does an Am, C, Dm, then E sweeps. Should that be Em instead of E, or is E correct and he's just doing that on purpose to get that sound?

Thanks
He plays an E major, the G# helps it pull back stronger to an A minor chord.
Interesting, thanks for the response guys. So am I correct that it's still in the key of Am? There are also regular G notes elsewhere in the song too fwiw.
Quote by saw7988
Interesting, thanks for the response guys. So am I correct that it's still in the key of Am? There are also regular G notes elsewhere in the song too fwiw.

Yeah man, learn about the harmonic minor and it's magical raised leading note.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by saw7988

You're still in the key of A minor. If you only play the normal notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G then it's called playing diatonically. But a lot of musicians, especially in metal and jazz will alter tones in the scale to get new sounds. The most common would be minor 2nd, diminished 5th, major sixth and major 7th. In the key of A minor these notes would be Bb, Eb, F#, and G#. Try messing around with it. It's not really playing modally, so don't confuse these with like phrygian or mixolydian modes or anything. Just altered tones.

Yeah man, learn about the harmonic minor and it's magical raised leading note.

I'm not sure if a purist would call it harmonic minor in this particular context. But yeah, they're both major 7ths.